CU Boulder/UMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcauddie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding any sort of student insight on both Maryland and UC Boulder's AuD programs. I got into both, along with Gallaudet and can't make up my mind. Boulder's program- although ranked 24th(ish?) seems to be pretty unorganized. I've heard mixed reviews about students being happy at Gallaudet...

Anyone have thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a Gally student and you may have read my input about Gallaudet in other threads.

I've also visited Maryland and spoken with students there, so I can give you 2nd hand information about their experiences.

The best thing about the program at Maryland, imo, was that you have a day and a half in clinic from the very first semester. I wish we had something like that at Gally. It takes a lot of experience to get confident and efficient in clinic. At Maryland you go on external internships starting the spring semester of 2nd year.

The 1st year students I spoke with loved the program and were really enthusiastic. It seemed like they had developed good friendships too. They said some courses they spend a lot of time preparing for, others not as much. They worked really hard but still had time for happy hour once in a while. A 2nd year student I spoke with was happy with the program but frustrated with coming up with a topic for the research project. She was having a hard time finding a professor who had expertise in the same topics she was interested in. She suggested really looking at the research focuses of the professors before making a decision. All of them suggested living in Silver Spring and commuting through the free university shuttle buses.

Maryland looks especially good to me from a Gallaudet student perspective for 2 reasons: twice as much time in clinic and going on external internships sooner, and not having to sign. But I'm not a student there and for all I know they could be wishing they were going to Gallaudet! Other than clearly giving me more experience working with severe-profound and more sensitivity about the Deaf community, I think in the long run, Gallaudet will provide more opportunities for me to work with kids. There's a big emphasis on aural rehab, and of course you get the experience signing. You can also take Cued Speech as an elective. One of the counties nearby for example has 3 different elementary schools for deaf/hard of hearing kids: an oral program, a cued speech program, and a total communication program.

Thanks for your input Cidanu. I really appreciate it- good luck with the rest of your time at Gallaudet!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got into Maryland as well but I haven't gotten the chance to go visit. Has anyone been to the campus for a tour or anything?

I'm having trouble finding any sort of student insight on both Maryland and UC Boulder's AuD programs. I got into both, along with Gallaudet and can't make up my mind. Boulder's program- although ranked 24th(ish?) seems to be pretty unorganized. I've heard mixed reviews about students being happy at Gallaudet...

Anyone have thoughts?

I cant speak specifically for the AuD program... but everything is unorganized in Boulder, CO.... excuse me "the Boulder Bubble"

Source? I live/work there.

Its a beautiful town but the majority of the people are radical/trendy. They claim to be "the peoples republic of Boulder"

http://wikiality.wikia.com/The_Peoples_Republic_of_Boulder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ1K-cDsFj4

THe wikiality website is slightly biased however... its true at the same time.
Sorry to rant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I visited Maryland a week ago for the open house and had a great time. The faculty were very personable and the AuD. students seemed well supported- particularly through strong externship placements. The facilities I thought were so-so, but I'm thinking that the other pros of the program make up for this. I'm still trying to decide between UMD, gallaudet and Boulder- but I think at this point Maryland is where I'd like to be.

I visited Maryland a week ago for the open house and had a great time. The faculty were very personable and the AuD. students seemed well supported- particularly through strong externship placements. The facilities I thought were so-so, but I'm thinking that the other pros of the program make up for this. I'm still trying to decide between UMD, gallaudet and Boulder- but I think at this point Maryland is where I'd like to be.

Did you hear about funding or scholarships there?
If not, how would you afford your tuition fee?

No real financial help from UMD- which is what is holding me back from just committing now. I got more help from gallaudet and boulder. Does anyone else have more info on boulders program? Thanks for your help dyk343.

i hope you get funding if you decide to go to UMD because it is hella-expensive for out of state. one of the reasons i decided not to go there last year.

there are lots of opportunities though outside of the department. have you been checking the website for posted assistantships? can't remember the exact website but I know it's there somewhere.