Cube Counting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UBDent19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've attached a cube counting problem from the sample DAT test available for download from ADA's website. I've also included the answer key.

Please look at Problem #68.

Can somebody please show me how many cubes have THREE sides painted? I can only find three.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Cube Counting Problem 68.pdf
    73.2 KB · Views: 186
  • Answer Key.pdf
    9.6 KB · Views: 126
Same here..

How can we trust these guys for making accurate exam?? Someone who actually knows how to do PAT will score less than someone who messed up and got lucky...

Well, its kind of hard to explain BUT! if you see the little triangle, there is no square on that spot! so imagine if there is no square on that triangle spot, you will have four painted squares.

Well, its kind of hard to explain BUT! if you see the little triangle, there is no square on that spot! so imagine if there is no square on that triangle spot, you will have four painted squares.

What little triangle? There's the little triangle on row 2 column three which is actually a 3-sided cube.

I still get 3.

Members don't see this ad :)

Umm If there is no square where that triangle is then what is supporting the cube that the very top be is sitting on? I'm very sure the rules there are no unsupported/floating cubes

I count 3. the far left back corner. on the bottom row, middle row back right corner and the cube to its left.

Last edited:
Umm If there is no square where that triangle is then what is supporting the cube that the very top be is sitting on? I'm very sure the rules there are no unsupported/floating cubes

I count 3. the far left back corner. on the bottom row, middle row back right corner and the cube to its left.

correcto~

Even if that were the case, there would be 5 cubes with 3 faces painted. The cube above the hole, the cube behind it, and the 3 we're already seeing.

To all of you that posted and were interested in this thread: I notified ADA of the problem. They have replied saying their staff investigated the question and found the answer key to be false. There are, in fact, only 3 cubes with 3 sides painted.