Cumulative Gpa vs Pre-req Gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTMAMBA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just had some questions about gpa's.

Do schools generally emphasize more on the pre-req gpa than the cumulative?
Would having a lower pre-req than overall affect your chances?
What should a minimum pre-req gpa should be to be competitive?

For example, if someone had an overall gpa of around 3.7 but their pre-req gpa was a 3.4 and another person had a overall gpa of 3.2 but a 3.8 pre-req gpa. which would a school prefer?

I know that theres a lot of other things that should be taken into account but i was just wondering if a low pre-req gpa could ruin your chances.

Thanks everybody in advance and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

I really think it's different for every person and every school. I only have 3.03 pre-req GPA but I got an interview the day after my application was mailed out. Schools probably won't care if you have a 3-4 C's in courses like music or history, but would probably care if these C's were in anatomy or biology courses. Honestly I don't know though haha

The most important thing is that your overall GPA is >3.0 so you at least qualify. I feel sorry for these applicants who have 2.8 and 2.9 overall GPAs, since they can't apply to most schools despite having an otherwise stellar application.

Your pre-req GPA is more important. If your overall is low, then your pre-req GPA needs to be high to compensate. Schools would probably take the candidate with a higher pre-req GPA than one with a higher overall GPA. It's the pre-reqs, especially A&P and biology, that are predictors of success in PT school. In short, it's better to have a higher pre-req GPA.

Aim for >3.5 and higher, especially if your overall GPA is low.

Kevin

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mind sharing which school you applied to? I also have pre-req GPA 3.10.

Not sure who the above question was posed to, but I'll share where I applied and my stats.
I had a PTCAS generated Cum GPA of 3.37 and a Pre-req GPA of 3.03. However, all the schools I applied to generated their own Pre-req GPAs and mine ranged from 3.11-3.38 depending on the school. I applied to:
-Drexel (Interview 10/11)
-Shenandoah
-Temple
-Arcadia
-URI
-UNE
-Rosalind Franklin

My app was mailed out on 9/10 and I was offered an interview at Drexel on 9/11. I don't expect to hear from the other schools for a while.

Not sure who the above question was posed to, but I'll share where I applied and my stats.
I had a PTCAS generated Cum GPA of 3.37 and a Pre-req GPA of 3.03. However, all the schools I applied to generated their own Pre-req GPAs and mine ranged from 3.11-3.38 depending on the school. I applied to:
-Drexel (Interview 10/11)
-Shenandoah
-Temple
-Arcadia
-URI
-UNE
-Rosalind Franklin

My app was mailed out on 9/10 and I was offered an interview at Drexel on 9/11. I don't expect to hear from the other schools for a while.

My mistake not to quote your comment..but I was referring to you anyways. My pre-req GPA is 3.10 and CGPA 3.35 according to ptcas. I am retaking my GRE end of this month, but so far I have V 140, Q 147, A 3.0. if you do not mind suggesting me on whether should I apply to Drexel or wait for my new score to come?

My mistake not to quote your comment..but I was referring to you anyways. My pre-req GPA is 3.10 and CGPA 3.35 according to ptcas. I am retaking my GRE end of this month, but so far I have V 140, Q 147, A 3.0. if you do not mind suggesting me on whether should I apply to Drexel or wait for my new score to come?

It definitely doesn't hurt to apply! Keep in mind though that Drexel's application due date is Oct 1, so make sure you would get your GRE scores by then. I would probably just apply; it doesn't hurt :)