Curious- Anyone else have/had a parent in prison?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

godawgs39

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this could be a really touchy subject, but I decided to go ahead with this thread anyway. My dad has been in prison since 1984 (I was 2) and since then, I have not met another person that had a parent in prison. Obviously, there are tons of people out there that have experienced this, but I've never talked to anyone that has.

If there is anyone with an incarcerated parent, or with a parent that was released after serving a long sentence, I'd like to hear from you. My dad has less than 2 years left, so things are going to change a lot soon, for both of us. I've had a very different perspective on life as a result of my situation, which is why I'd like to know how others that have gone through this process have dealt with it. I'm pretty open about the subject, but if this is too out in the open, please send me a PM. Hopefully, I'm not the only one here! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

godawgs39 said:
I know this could be a really touchy subject, but I decided to go ahead with this thread anyway. My dad has been in prison since 1984 (I was 2) and since then, I have not met another person that had a parent in prison. Obviously, there are tons of people out there that have experienced this, but I've never talked to anyone that has.

If there is anyone with an incarcerated parent, or with a parent that was released after serving a long sentence, I'd like to hear from you. My dad has less than 2 years left, so things are going to change a lot soon, for both of us. I've had a very different perspective on life as a result of my situation, which is why I'd like to know how others that have gone through this process have dealt with it. I'm pretty open about the subject, but if this is too out in the open, please send me a PM. Hopefully, I'm not the only one here! Thanks!

That's a long sentence. What was he in for?

I don't have a parent in prison or that's ever been in prison but I did just help send two guys to prison. I testified on behalf of the prosecution in a criminal case.

bwells46 said:
That's a long sentence. What was he in for?

I don't have a parent in prison or that's ever been in prison but I did just help send two guys to prison. I testified on behalf of the prosecution in a criminal case.

He received a 45 year sentence (only serve half w/good behavior) for sexual assault, which occured while he was on some crazy drugs, and none of which he remembers. It was a terrible crime and he deserved to go to prison, just wish he would have received the maximum (30 years) or at least not have been sentenced longer than a lot of murderers.

Glad you were able to help send two guys to prison, hopefully they were guilty. It always sucks for both families involved, but if a person commits the crime, they have to be punished.

Members don't see this ad :)
godawgs39 said:
He received a 45 year sentence (only serve half w/good behavior) for sexual assault, which occured while he was on some crazy drugs, and none of which he remembers. It was a terrible crime and he deserved to go to prison, just wish he would have received the maximum (30 years) or at least not have been sentenced longer than a lot of murderers.

Glad you were able to help send two guys to prison, hopefully they were guilty. It always sucks for both families involved, but if a person commits the crime, they have to be punished.

I'm certain they were both guilty. I witnessed the crime and later identified them. It wasn't hard - when someone holds you at gunpoint, you tend to remember what they look like.

My brother has been in jail for the past 2-3 years and i believe he is getting out on good behavior in November. He was jacked up on speed and attempted to rob a convenience store....the owner testified that he also saw a gun with him. He got charged with aggravated assault and some other smalller crimes. However, since it was in Houston (where murders are pretty much a common everyday occurrence), i think he got off "light" in comparision to others. If it was my choice, i would have liked to see him stay in for a few more years so he could have more time to figure out his **** and get his life together. Oh well...stuff happens.

My dad was in and out of jail a lot when I was a kid. Both my parents were drug addicts, and now they're both dead.

Crazy shizzle.

Hi,

I really feel for you. You must be a very strong person to get through this and still be on the right track in terms of your career. I did have someone very close to me spend about a year in jail on murder charges. He got off thankfully but it definitely changed his life.

My Dad served a 3 or 4 year sentence and my brother is always in and out for stuff.

bwells46 said:
I'm certain they were both guilty. I witnessed the crime and later identified them. It wasn't hard - when someone holds you at gunpoint, you tend to remember what they look like.

Hmm... if I recall correctly, someone was held at gunpoint, I want to say on 34th St last year or something around then.... that didn't happen to be you did it?

Indryd said:
My dad was in and out of jail a lot when I was a kid. Both my parents were drug addicts, and now they're both dead.

Crazy shizzle.
wow that really sucks to lose both your parents after such a difficult life.,

godawgs39 said:

My father was in prison when I was 5-15. I would say that it took me a while to be open about it (forgive him I guess) as it was something just not talked about. He was transfered to prisons across the US and my family followed him to be close to him while he was in jail, so I moved over 10 times...never knew quite what to say when people asked why I moved so much. His case was widely known in the region so I still feel a little awkward when people do a double-take when they hear my last name as I felt a lot of people reflected what he did back onto me. Now I have found it is best to be frank in situation and no one probes me about it. We went from a very comfortable lifestyle to being dirt poor...but I believe that situation has made me who I am today, especially influenced me on a future career in health care (because I lacked access to it, etc).

Prison really changed my dad, hardened him is the best way to describe it, and it was hard for everyone to adjust after he was released because he was more of a facade because he was in jail for the parts of my life I remember best. My uncle was in jail for the same reasons and when he got out my aunt divorced him (she was supportive all throughout his incarceration) becuase so much had changed but he was caught up in having life as he left it. I could see that in my dad sometimes- that he is disapointed in himself that he missed out on mine and my brothers lives and wants to either bring it back to the time he began his sentence or "make it up" to us.

I have never met someone else whose parent went to prison before too. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more.

I feel for some of you guys. I guess whatever does not kill you makes you stronger. Peace

i almost never post but i couldnt help but let you know you are not alone. during my freshman year of college my father attacked my mother and went to jail for attempted murder. we later found out he has bipolar (interesting how everyone else figured it almost instantly whereas my mother, sister and i just thought he was angry all the time for no reason). i almost never talk about it and very few of my friends know. its just hard for people to relate and i just chose not to put them in that awkward position... again though, good to know that i'm not alone...

Thanks for sharing everyone, it's comforting to know that I'm not alone, though at the same time it sucks knowing that others have had to deal with this. I can definitely remember the times when nobody but my family and a few select, very very good friends knew about my situation. It was extremely awkward, especially because I still still lived in the same town where everything went down.

Like all of you, my experiences have definitely helped to shape the person I am today. Having someone close go through that definitely forces you to be less judgemental of others and more empathetic. Thanks again for posting, I'll be sending out some PMs later once I get a chance.

patho said:
Hmm... if I recall correctly, someone was held at gunpoint, I want to say on 34th St last year or something around then.... that didn't happen to be you did it?

Nope, wasn't me.