Curious non-traditional applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lagunatic

^_^
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I graduated 2 years ago with a B.S. in biochemistry (cGPA 3.5 and sGPA 3.7). Since then I have worked at a Fortune 100 pharmaceutical company in their vascular medical devices division. I have attended multiple cardiology conferences including TCT, been involved with pre-clinical studies, visited cath labs to observe interventional radiology procedures, and have developed a medical device that is currently in clinical trials.

My only "clinical" or "shadowing" experiences have been my interactions with doctors in regards to our medical devices, overseeing study protocols at pre-clinical sites, and working with MD's at my company. I also don't have any volunteer experience except working "free overtime" and undergrad research experience.

I understand that a strong MCAT is mandatory, but with that aside what are my chances?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you need to get ECs. Shadow doctors, volunteer, do everything you need to. Especially is you want to go MD. Your gpa isn't awesome and you have no ECs but working. That will help, but it definitely won't make up for the many ECs you are lacking. And free overtime is not volunteering.

Hi all,

I graduated 2 years ago with a B.S. in biochemistry (cGPA 3.5 and sGPA 3.7). Since then I have worked at a Fortune 100 pharmaceutical company in their vascular medical devices division. I have attended multiple cardiology conferences including TCT, been involved with pre-clinical studies, visited cath labs to observe interventional radiology procedures, and have developed a medical device that is currently in clinical trials.

My only "clinical" or "shadowing" experiences have been my interactions with doctors in regards to our medical devices, overseeing study protocols at pre-clinical sites, and working with MD's at my company. I also don't have any volunteer experience except working "free overtime" and undergrad research experience.

I understand that a strong MCAT is mandatory, but with that aside what are my chances?

Thanks.
Besides gaining the usual and customary ECs, since your academic credentials are getting "stale", you might also consider some additional coursework to boost your cGPA up somewhat if MD is your goal. DO schools are more lenient with a lower cGPA.

Right now, I'd say your chances are poor, but redeemable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Besides gaining the usual and customary ECs, since your academic credentials are getting "stale", you might also consider some additional coursework to boost your cGPA up somewhat if MD is your goal. DO schools are more lenient with a lower cGPA.

Right now, I'd say your chances are poor, but redeemable.

Fortunately,I have been continuing my education at night by taking anatomy and physiology classes. If MD is the future career path I want, then I will be more aggressive in my ECs and volunteering. Thank you for the advice.

I think you need to get ECs. Shadow doctors, volunteer, do everything you need to. Especially is you want to go MD. Your gpa isn't awesome and you have no ECs but working. That will help, but it definitely won't make up for the many ECs you are lacking. And free overtime is not volunteering.

The overtime was a terrible joke. Working hard is required at many jobs nowadays and it mainly shows dedication and passion. Thank you for pointing out a major weakness in my profile. I realize I must be more aggressive with my ECs and volunteering if I decide to pursue an MD path.

Fortunately,I have been continuing my education at night by taking anatomy and physiology classes. If MD is the future career path I want, then I will be more aggressive in my ECs and volunteering. Thank you for the advice.
Ahhh. Well done. Your postbac grades will be incorporated into your overall undergrad GPA by the application service. Does the additional coursework raise your numbers? Did you plan to take more?