Current Army Reservist who wants to be a Doctor.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hqudsi45

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm real new here but with some of the great answer's I've seen, I figured I should see if anyone here can answer a very complicated and convoluted question I have.

Right now, I'm an 18 year old Pre-Basic Army Reservist, with a 35F MOS (Intelligence Analyst). However, once I'm done with all my training, I plan to attend UMBC and pursue a Pre-Medical track. I've, unfortunately, due to certain circumstances, been forced to defer my enrollment at the university until Spring 2010-2011, when I was a Class of 2009 High School graduate. Which is to say I've already had to defer one year away.

Anyways, what I'm wondering about is if someone can tell me if my current plan is a good idea and, if not, what I should do instead.

1. Attend UMBC and study a biological science under a Pre-Med track.
2. In my final 2 years at the school, take ROTC. I've been told by my Unit Commander and many others that Basic and AIT count towards the first two years, so I can jump in at the tail end to receive my commission.
3. Apply to various Medical Schools and once (God willing) I receive an acceptance letter, take the Army Health Professions Scholarship (HPSP) so I can go on a full ride.
4. Go on to serve as a Military Doctor and then, depending on my situation at the time, continue on or retire and move to the civilian sector. (As a side note, I'll mention that I do thoroughly enjoy the military. I fit right in with all my Unit.)

Now, what I'm curious about is how that's going to work. I know that you receive a direct commission to Captain once you complete your schooling, but what I'm really curious about is how the situation would be treated if I'm already a 2LT because of ROTC. And since most 2LT's become 1LT's after 2-3 years, what THAT would entail?

And since I'm already in the Reserves, I wouldn't have the Active Duty payback, would I? I would just be a Reserve Officer.

Also, I'm somewhat confused as to what the matching process is in the Residency part. Granted, I haven't read up on it to get a better understanding, but if someone could tell me here, it'd be a whole heck of a lot easier.

And just one last question I have is that, would it be a big hindrance to be married while in Med School? As far as I've heard, it's a very taxing period and I wouldn't want to overburden myself unnecessarily. Not that I don't want to get married, but it can wait.

It's not really a big deal, it's just that having a better idea of what the future holds moving forward is something I'd like to have. If anyone can give me a straight answer, I'd be in your debt.

Thanks for reading!

Pvt. Qudsi, USAR.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I'm real new here but with some of the great answer's I've seen, I figured I should see if anyone here can answer a very complicated and convoluted question I have.

Right now, I'm an 18 year old Pre-Basic Army Reservist, with a 35F MOS (Intelligence Analyst). However, once I'm done with all my training, I plan to attend UMBC and pursue a Pre-Medical track. I've, unfortunately, due to certain circumstances, been forced to defer my enrollment at the university until Spring 2010-2011, when I was a Class of 2009 High School graduate. Which is to say I've already had to defer one year away.

Anyways, what I'm wondering about is if someone can tell me if my current plan is a good idea and, if not, what I should do instead.

1. Attend UMBC and study a biological science under a Pre-Med track.
2. In my final 2 years at the school, take ROTC. I've been told by my Unit Commander and many others that Basic and AIT count towards the first two years, so I can jump in at the tail end to receive my commission.
3. Apply to various Medical Schools and once (God willing) I receive an acceptance letter, take the Army Health Professions Scholarship (HPSP) so I can go on a full ride.
4. Go on to serve as a Military Doctor and then, depending on my situation at the time, continue on or retire and move to the civilian sector. (As a side note, I'll mention that I do thoroughly enjoy the military. I fit right in with all my Unit.)

Now, what I'm curious about is how that's going to work. I know that you receive a direct commission to Captain once you complete your schooling, but what I'm really curious about is how the situation would be treated if I'm already a 2LT because of ROTC. And since most 2LT's become 1LT's after 2-3 years, what THAT would entail?

And since I'm already in the Reserves, I wouldn't have the Active Duty payback, would I? I would just be a Reserve Officer.

Also, I'm somewhat confused as to what the matching process is in the Residency part. Granted, I haven't read up on it to get a better understanding, but if someone could tell me here, it'd be a whole heck of a lot easier.

And just one last question I have is that, would it be a big hindrance to be married while in Med School? As far as I've heard, it's a very taxing period and I wouldn't want to overburden myself unnecessarily. Not that I don't want to get married, but it can wait.

It's not really a big deal, it's just that having a better idea of what the future holds moving forward is something I'd like to have. If anyone can give me a straight answer, I'd be in your debt.

Thanks for reading!

Pvt. Qudsi, USAR.

The first issue you will have is getting permission to leave your obligation with the Reserves to move into the HPSP program. Youre reserves commitment is seperate from HPSP...you are enlisted in the AR, when you get permission to leave and join the HPSP program you will be an officer in the inactive reserves.

Once you do however, you are now obligated to that contract which entails 4 years of AD payback...you cannot serve that in the reserves because you were in the reserves before signing up for HPSP...also, I'm not sure how the commitment you have with the reserves now, I'm assuming 8 years, will be carried over or earased when youre paying back the HPSP program. You will also carry some obligation from your time in ROTC...that is also Active Duty payback.

With HPSP you receive your direct commission before or during school as a 2LT. You remain a 2LT during school and get promoted directly to Capt upon graduation.

There are a lot of threads on here discussing military GME. As I understand it, it is similar to the civilian match, the difference being the Army has a certain number of spots for each specialty each year, if you dont get one of those spots you do your intern year and are sent off as a GMO for a few years before you can apply again. Again, there is a lot of discussion on this so search for and read some threads and youll get a ton of specfics.

As for the married thing, Im not starting med school till this fall. I can say right now that Im certain there will be some issues regarding my time at home with my wife and son and with studies taking priority at times, but there were times like that with my premed studies or with work. Its a part of life, you give up some things when you get married but you gain, in my opinion, so much more. As a husband and a father, I couldnt imagine going through med school without my wife and son waiting for me at home in the end of the day.

You would have to be released from the Reserves to sign up for ROTC and THEN you'd have to get permission from ROTC to apply to HPSP/USUHS. If you think you'll want a life in medical school then apply to USUHS. You'll get full officer pay and benefits and then you'll be able to support a wife etc. And you'd still have to be active for the time afterward. USUHS is a sweet deal!
Why don't you take things one step at a time and stop trying to plan your entire life. You're 18. Enjoy it! Don't even think about getting married because YOU'RE 18! Wait until you've become the person that you want to be to get married. That has nothing to do with the Army.
You're going to be GREAT! Hooah!

Qudsi,
I've been enlisted in the army reserves (in Maryland) for 8 years, and I was under the impression I would follow a very similar track that you are planning. What i didn't know, is that even the reserves can majorly delay your education. Now, 3 years active and 2 deployments, and one divorce later, I'm FINALY finishing my undergrad! (of course I would never change this, however) Be aware that "one weekend a month" does not mean 11 weekends and 2 weeks a year. You're gonna have to go here and there sometimes, so just be aware of that. Marriage is a wonderful idea, but I am sure being single in the military is much more fun!! (sorry married people)
The most important thing I can tell you, with 100% certainty, is that the only thing in life you can truly plan for is a change in plans. Of course your goals are great and you should go for what you want! Also, UMBC is a GREAT, science-oriented school,and you'll have lots of opportunities. As for now, be in the right uniform, at the right place, at the right time, do lots of PT and you'll be good to go.