(Current) Enlisted military to Med School route?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KCM0311

Reaction score
Hello all, I’m pretty new to these forums so I hope this is the proper place to post this. If not I do apologize. I’m just trying to get a grasp on what the road ahead looks like for me. I know this is certainly thinking way further down the line, but doing anything major without a thought out plan is a bit uncomfortable to me honestly. This is probably going to be fairly long-winded, but I’ll try to keep it as short as possible.
I’m an active duty Marine (mos 0311 / Infantry) interested in pursuing the medical route. My EAS date is in approximately 7 months. Currently I’m trying to find any type of volunteering I can participate in during my free time on the weekend. I’ve also started taking the steps to enroll in an online college to try and knock any GenEd classes out of the way (plan on taking some CLEP test as well). I’m refraining from taking anything other than GenEd due to my understanding that taking classes (such as Biology) In a classroom setting WITH lab is crucial for the pre-med track.
With the background painted for the most part, this is my plan thus far.
-Gain any type of volunteering hours I can while still active duty. In addition complete any college courses I can, either traditionally or via CLEP testing.
-Upon transitioning back to the civilian world I intend to enroll in a community college (grades were dissapointing in high school to say the least. Anything other than tests I disregarded. Thought I’d be a Marine for 20 years for sure when I was 16, but people change and grow) and transfer to a traditional university as soon as possible to finish out whatever is left of my degree.
-Once my degree is complete I’m not opposed to taking a gap year to add additional hours shadowing, conducting research, volunteering or doing anything deemed vital to my success as a Med School applicant. I anticipate that I will, in fact, utilize a gap year.
-I will have to work obviously once I EAS. It is my hope to work as an EMT-B or anything I can find medical related. I see mixed opinions everywhere on whether or not this is a waste of energy or not in regards to the experience EMT-B gives you.

My interests in things medicine-related spiked when I began looking for jobs to do inside the military. It was narrowed down to infantry in the Marine Corps or Combat Medic in the Army. There were a couple deciding factors in making my choice. A primary one being, I was extremely overweight towards the middle and end of high school. I had to lose a ton of weight to make it into either branch. The Marine Corps had stricter weight standards and harder PT test, so as a personal challenge to myself that’s what I set out to be. Obviously I did lose the weight needed to enlist and thus could’ve gone to the Army too when it was all said and done. I didn’t because I knew of a few “medical” courses you could take as an infantrymen (recruiter magic lol). I did end up taking one of those courses, Combat Life Saver, which was probably the most interesting and enjoyable thing I’ve done to date as a Marine. In addition I learned the basic medical knowledge all combat MOS’s are given, as well as additional bits of knowledge learned from our FMF ( Navy Corpsman that work as docs for infantry Marine platoons). What really sealed the deal with my intent in pursuing medicine was an incident in the semi recent past of fellow platoon member getting in a car crash outside the barracks and being part of the immediate group to help both people out of their vehicles and provide whatever care we were capable of (I could go into more detail but I’m unsure of the repercussions from my unit if it became too identifying). That whole event, while very unfortunate, was the most exhilarating and fulfilling experience I’ve ever had hands down. From pulling him out to talking him through everything so he remained calm to trying to identify all the problems and doing what we could till more knowledgeable people arrived. Absolutely invigorating experience and in that moment I truly wish I had knew more. Of the three people involved there was a broken hand, a broken leg, and one left relatively unharmed to my knowledge. With the relatively narrow scope of medical knowledge we are taught as Marines, it was still nothing short of a thrill utilizing them in a real world situation, and while I don’t wish those experiences on anyone, I do hope to be of aid to them at a higher level when people are affected by these experiences.

In addition, I hope my high school career does not make me seem unmotivated or incapable. That was the case at the time, not at all anymore. I was young and thought I had life figured out. I was wrong. The mindset I had then is foreign to me now. I have an abundance of reasons for choosing not to reenlist, but I will forever be grateful and in indebted to the Marine Corps for giving me the time to figure out who I really am. It’s served me greatly in building skills like teamwork, leadership, and remaining collected under pressure with rounds flying downrange and dozens of men yelling (I’m NOT a combat vet, these are collective experiences of numerous live fire maneuver ranges infantryman run). It’s upgraded other skills as well that may be less obvious such as time management, responsibility, adaptability, and probably the most valuable to me is confidence in my own abilities and mind. This is all to say I’m not the same kid I was then, and I don’t take such a lackadaisical approach to my future or responsibilities anymore. I felt the need to really clarify this because it seems to be the primary source of doubt for a few close individuals in my life.
This is much longer than intended and I do have a few more questions but I feel I’ve exhausted you all enough. Really what I’m trying to ask is whether or not this is feasible with the route I’ve outlined and for everyone’s input on ways to make it better. I understand it will be arduous and that’s ok, I welcome it. I just want to know it’s possible. I appreciate all of you for making it this far and adding ANY feedback whatsoever. While I’m very new to these forums they have undoubtably been the single most informational resource I’ve had thus far when trying to formulate this road map to success. I wish you all the best.

Members don't see this ad.

I apologize for the lack of spacing and indents in regards to the paragraphs. It was formatted much differently on my phone when I typed it, but didn’t post in a similar fashion unfortunately.

There's a lot to unwind and I'll do my best to offer some advice. There are plenty of other posters on this site that'll have better insight than me.

Currently I’m trying to find any type of volunteering I can participate in during my free time on the weekend. I’ve also started taking the steps to enroll in an online college to try and knock any GenEd classes out of the way (plan on taking some CLEP test as well). I’m refraining from taking anything other than GenEd due to my understanding that taking classes (such as Biology) In a classroom setting WITH lab is crucial for the pre-med track.
This all sounds great, but make sure you're enjoying what you're volunteering with. The point of volunteering isn't to simply check a box, but rather gain skills and further explain why you're passionate about helping people and how those experiences led to your desire to pursue medicine. Since you're active duty, it's important to not burn out before you EAS where going to school can be your full-time job. You should be able to use the GI bill, unless you're planning on using that for medical school. I had a similar mindset as you a couple years ago: I was very motivated going to school near full-time (and without taking upper level science courses for nearly 3 years), working full-time, volunteering, and going to drill. I scraped by with Cs that semester because I burned out so quickly. This is a marathon, not a sprint so make sure to pace yourself. CLEP is a great resource that I wish I used.

-Upon transitioning back to the civilian world I intend to enroll in a community college (grades were dissapointing in high school to say the least. Anything other than tests I disregarded. Thought I’d be a Marine for 20 years for sure when I was 16, but people change and grow) and transfer to a traditional university as soon as possible to finish out whatever is left of my degree.
-Once my degree is complete I’m not opposed to taking a gap year to add additional hours shadowing, conducting research, volunteering or doing anything deemed vital to my success as a Med School applicant. I anticipate that I will, in fact, utilize a gap year.
-I will have to work obviously once I EAS. It is my hope to work as an EMT-B or anything I can find medical related. I see mixed opinions everywhere on whether or not this is a waste of energy or not in regards to the experience EMT-B gives you.
As long as you pace yourself and make sure you do everything right the first time (decent grades, MCAT, unique volunteer experiences, your prior military experience), you may not need a gap year, unless you want to do one. If I may make a suggestion: Find a major that you're interested in because you'll do well in something you like. You can major in something other than bio/chem while taking the prereqs for medical school and still be a successful candidate. Something else to think about: You could go to a CC and major in an allied health program and complete some of the prereqs while there. For example: You could major in medical lab technology and after completing the program, sit for the MLT (ASCP) exam. Since this is an unknown field with an aging work population, you can find a job nearly anywhere you like and it pays decently well while you work on your bachelors. Some hospitals will also help pay for the remainder of your schooling. Source: I'm a medical lab tech as a civilian and in the air force. There's also nursing, respiratory therapy, radiology tech, physical therapy assistant, etc. I only mention this idea because your life may change and PA school (as an example) becomes your goal instead.

In addition, I hope my high school career does not make me seem unmotivated or incapable.
Schools aren't going to care how your high school career went. That was, what, almost 5/6 years ago for you? You've grown up, enlisted in the US's toughest military branch and matured a helluva lot along the way. What matters is how you present yourself going forward.

I have an abundance of reasons for choosing not to reenlist, but I will forever be grateful and in indebted to the Marine Corps for giving me the time to figure out who I really am. It’s served me greatly in building skills like teamwork, leadership, and remaining collected under pressure with rounds flying downrange and dozens of men yelling (I’m NOT a combat vet, these are collective experiences of numerous live fire maneuver ranges infantryman run). It’s upgraded other skills as well that may be less obvious such as time management, responsibility, adaptability, and probably the most valuable to me is confidence in my own abilities and mind. This is all to say I’m not the same kid I was then, and I don’t take such a lackadaisical approach to my future or responsibilities anymore. I felt the need to really clarify this because it seems to be the primary source of doubt for a few close individuals in my life.
Remember this as you progress in everything you pursue. It's important to not lose this as you move onto other things in your career.

Reactions: 1 users
There's a lot to unwind and I'll do my best to offer some advice. There are plenty of other posters on this site that'll have better insight than me.

This all sounds great, but make sure you're enjoying what you're volunteering with. The point of volunteering isn't to simply check a box, but rather gain skills and further explain why you're passionate about helping people and how those experiences led to your desire to pursue medicine. Since you're active duty, it's important to not burn out before you EAS where going to school can be your full-time job. You should be able to use the GI bill, unless you're planning on using that for medical school. I had a similar mindset as you a couple years ago: I was very motivated going to school near full-time (and without taking upper level science courses for nearly 3 years), working full-time, volunteering, and going to drill. I scraped by with Cs that semester because I burned out so quickly. This is a marathon, not a sprint so make sure to pace yourself. CLEP is a great resource that I wish I used.

As long as you pace yourself and make sure you do everything right the first time (decent grades, MCAT, unique volunteer experiences, your prior military experience), you may not need a gap year, unless you want to do one. If I may make a suggestion: Find a major that you're interested in because you'll do well in something you like. You can major in something other than bio/chem while taking the prereqs for medical school and still be a successful candidate. Something else to think about: You could go to a CC and major in an allied health program and complete some of the prereqs while there. For example: You could major in medical lab technology and after completing the program, sit for the MLT (ASCP) exam. Since this is an unknown field with an aging work population, you can find a job nearly anywhere you like and it pays decently well while you work on your bachelors. Some hospitals will also help pay for the remainder of your schooling. Source: I'm a medical lab tech as a civilian and in the air force. There's also nursing, respiratory therapy, radiology tech, physical therapy assistant, etc. I only mention this idea because your life may change and PA school (as an example) becomes your goal instead.

Schools aren't going to care how your high school career went. That was, what, almost 5/6 years ago for you? You've grown up, enlisted in the US's toughest military branch and matured a helluva lot along the way. What matters is how you present yourself going forward.

Remember this as you progress in everything you pursue. It's important to not lose this as you move onto other things in your career.
Thank you for taking the time to read and reply. I appreciate your insight and advice, and am about to look into the allied health programs right after I finish typing this! Never heard of them before but sounds interesting. Thanks again for ur input / time

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as shadowing goes, can you shadow a physician in a MTF near you so you can get shadowing out of the way? I found it much harder, almost impossible, to find someone to shadow outside. MTF physician might be more understanding and empathetic to your career, and you will truly know if being a physician is for you before you re start the college.

As far as shadowing goes, can you shadow a physician in a MTF near you so you can get shadowing out of the way? I found it much harder, almost impossible, to find someone to shadow outside. MTF physician might be more understanding and empathetic to your career, and you will truly know if being a physician is for you before you re start the college.
I’m trying to figure out how to do this already. As of now like 90% of the unit is on leave so it’s pretty hard to find anyone knowledgeable on how to approach this. When everyone is back tho this is certainly something I’m going to look into!

Reactions: 1 user
If you're interested in staying in uniform as a medical officer, you should definitely check out the EMDP2 program if you haven't already: Uniformed Services University
While thankful for certain things the Marine Corps has given me, certain things heavily sway me towards not reenlisting. Regardless though I’m still going to check out your link and see if it can’t persuade me. I’ve definitely learned to keep your options open.

I’m trying to figure out how to do this already. As of now like 90% of the unit is on leave so it’s pretty hard to find anyone knowledgeable on how to approach this. When everyone is back tho this is certainly something I’m going to look into!
If you have a PCM who is a physician, you can ask them. If not, sometimes there is a dedicated education component to MTF that handles residents. You can ask them directly to see if you can shadow a physician during the weekend. Good luck on your journey!!

Hello all, I’m pretty new to these forums so I hope this is the proper place to post this. If not I do apologize. I’m just trying to get a grasp on what the road ahead looks like for me. I know this is certainly thinking way further down the line, but doing anything major without a thought out plan is a bit uncomfortable to me honestly. This is probably going to be fairly long-winded, but I’ll try to keep it as short as possible.
I’m an active duty Marine (mos 0311 / Infantry) interested in pursuing the medical route. My EAS date is in approximately 7 months. Currently I’m trying to find any type of volunteering I can participate in during my free time on the weekend. I’ve also started taking the steps to enroll in an online college to try and knock any GenEd classes out of the way (plan on taking some CLEP test as well). I’m refraining from taking anything other than GenEd due to my understanding that taking classes (such as Biology) In a classroom setting WITH lab is crucial for the pre-med track.
With the background painted for the most part, this is my plan thus far.
-Gain any type of volunteering hours I can while still active duty. In addition complete any college courses I can, either traditionally or via CLEP testing.

My interests in things medicine-related spiked when I began looking for jobs to do inside the military. It was narrowed down to infantry in the Marine Corps or Combat Medic in the Army. There were a couple deciding factors in making my choice. A primary one being, I was extremely overweight towards the middle and end of high school. I had to lose a ton of weight to make it into either branch. The Marine Corps had stricter weight standards and harder PT test, so as a personal challenge to myself that’s what I set out to be. Obviously I did lose the weight needed to enlist and thus could’ve gone to the Army too when it was all said and done. I didn’t because I knew of a few “medical” courses you could take as an infantrymen (recruiter magic lol). I did end up taking one of those courses, Combat Life Saver, which was probably the most interesting and enjoyable thing I’ve done to date as a Marine. In addition I learned the basic medical knowledge all combat MOS’s are given, as well as additional bits of knowledge learned from our FMF ( Navy Corpsman that work as docs for infantry Marine platoons). What really sealed the deal with my intent in pursuing medicine was an incident in the semi recent past of fellow platoon member getting in a car crash outside the barracks and being part of the immediate group to help both people out of their vehicles and provide whatever care we were capable of (I could go into more detail but I’m unsure of the repercussions from my unit if it became too identifying). That whole event, while very unfortunate, was the most exhilarating and fulfilling experience I’ve ever had hands down. From pulling him out to talking him through everything so he remained calm to trying to identify all the problems and doing what we could till more knowledgeable people arrived. Absolutely invigorating experience and in that moment I truly wish I had knew more. Of the three people involved there was a broken hand, a broken leg, and one left relatively unharmed to my knowledge. With the relatively narrow scope of medical knowledge we are taught as Marines, it was still nothing short of a thrill utilizing them in a real world situation, and while I don’t wish those experiences on anyone, I do hope to be of aid to them at a higher level when people are affected by these experiences.

In addition, I hope my high school career does not make me seem unmotivated or incapable. That was the case at the time, not at all anymore. I was young and thought I had life figured out. I was wrong. The mindset I had then is foreign to me now. I have an abundance of reasons for choosing not to reenlist, but I will forever be grateful and in indebted to the Marine Corps for giving me the time to figure out who I really am. It’s served me greatly in building skills like teamwork, leadership, and remaining collected under pressure with rounds flying downrange and dozens of men yelling (I’m NOT a combat vet, these are collective experiences of numerous live fire maneuver ranges infantryman run). It’s upgraded other skills as well that may be less obvious such as time management, responsibility, adaptability, and probably the most valuable to me is confidence in my own abilities and mind. This is all to say I’m not the same kid I was then, and I don’t take such a lackadaisical approach to my future or responsibilities anymore. I felt the need to really clarify this because it seems to be the primary source of doubt for a few close individuals in my life.
This is much longer than intended and I do have a few more questions but I feel I’ve exhausted you all enough. Really what I’m trying to ask is whether or not this is feasible with the route I’ve outlined and for everyone’s input on ways to make it better. I understand it will be arduous and that’s ok, I welcome it. I just want to know it’s possible. I appreciate all of you for making it this far and adding ANY feedback whatsoever. While I’m very new to these forums they have undoubtably been the single most informational resource I’ve had thus far when trying to formulate this road map to success. I wish you all the best.
Hi read through your post. I was a Combat Medic in the Army for several years. I actually pursued a partial Nursing degree. I myself pondered medical school and physician assistant. What I gained for pre admissions to either is make sure to do at least 600-1600 hours of actual clinical experience and document it. Then get general education out of the way. Make sure you have a good set of clinical references and be prepared to keep up on your scientific and mathematical knowledge. If you are people oriented then you should have no problem. Also, you should brush up on any behavioral courses as well psychology, sociology, philosophy those are great building blocks. Medical schools that I have researched generally require MCAT and GRE, not all do. Check admissions offices for information beforehand they can clue you in to what is necessary. If you have GI Bill or Tuition Assistance start seeking SOCAD schools that accept credit for military training. This will save you time and money. Good luck.

I was prior enlisted Marine infantry and am applying this cycle. I had a bit if a convoluted path into medicine as well.

First, I'll say just focus on getting out. Having a plan is nice but my transition was *rough*. I wanted to get out and go to college and instead found myself living out of my car while working through a vet green-jobs program for 6 months and then on to multiple seasons fighting wildfires. I didn't touch school until I had been out for 3 years and am graduating 7 years after my discharge. The transition hit me like a ton of bricks and took me on a completely different life path. So, firsr and foremost, do you and follow your own path.

Really, my transition is what I think makes my application strong, it is what led me into medicine (eventually) and some of the things I did between the Marine Corps and school are objectively unique and interesting.

As for things to keep in mind:

If you can handle the infantry you can easily handle college. Also, the military offers really competitive programs for med school (USUHS and HPSP) and I doubt that serving as an officer / physician is anything like the BS of being a Marine grunt.

Also, research your undergrad well especially in terms of financial aid. I ended up going to an expensive state school and the amount of grant money I recieved was ridiculous. When you aren't on your parents income for FAFsa you look really poor and expensive schools throw money at you.

Don't worry (or even bother) with volunteering while you are in. You will have plenty of time when you are in undergrad. I suggest doing some volunteer work as an EMT if you can swing it. 4 years of that through college will show plenty of dedication and those departments eat up the prior service thing, especially if you are in a college town where all the other applicants are just regular students.

If you can, don't split up your education between CC and a four year. A friend of mine completed an associates as part of a guaranteed matriculation program, but I got into a really competitive undergrad school with a **** high school GPA as a transfer after just one semester at a lesser school. Most adcoms at undergrad understand you are much more disciplined and that your HS stats aren't reflective of your current abilities. The only thing they are looking for is some proof you can handle college course work.

If you can secure a UG spot for 3-4 years *try to get into research*. That is the only week point of my application.

Lastly, if you have time to burn between your discharge and starting school look up the NOLS Wilderness EMT program. I did my EMT in like a month crash course, it was super fun and a great program. You don't need to sit through an entire semester at CC for it.

Save up for terminal and keep in touch with your buddies too.

Edit: also your HS experience resonates and is completely like mine. I graduated with a 2.45 GPA and nearly failed Art. Don't listen to the haters. I'm going to a "suicide school" as the kids here call it and crushing it. Applied with a 3.8+ GPA and a 518 MCAT. Undergrad premed was difficult but I was well prepared for it. Its not anything as hard as the Marines, it just requires different skills. Your grit and adaptability will come in hand. Stay focused on school, ignore all the typical college experience stuff, these kids aren't that fun anyways.

Last edited: