Current Events 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ducktoller

WCVM c/o 2018
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, now that the trickle of acceptances are starting to come in, I figure it would be a good idea if we posted some current events so we can read them daily at our leisure; it would definitely be a nice start for interviews. Anyone with me? :D:D

I'm gonna start with the instance of E.coli O157:H7 in cattle.
http://www.rvc.ac.uk/News/PressReleases/pr1309-Ecoli.cfm

guidance questions
1. what is the name of the disease caused by E.coli O157:H7- transmission, etc.?
2. what is the role of a veterinarian for the various stakeholders (consumers, farmers, food inspectors) in relation to this event?
3. what sort of legislation (biosecurity measures) exist in cattle operations if any?

often times I don't know exactly where to look for current events, so please feel free to add new ones, and answer these questions yourself! even provide more questions if you think they'd be useful. contribute as much as you want to for this thread! it would definitely benefit everyone the more stuff we have!:thumbup: :love:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have any sources or anything, but Googling should pull up a bunch. Some of the things we're talking about in school right now, especially among the equine kiddies is the DEA crackdown (for lack of a better term) on veterinarians traveling with controlled substances. It's illegal according to the Controlled Substance Act but the AVMA is lobbying and trying to pass the Veterinary Mobility Act of 2013. Basically, it's currently illegal (by federal law) to perform at home euthanasias, travel with ketamine, diazepam, and other controlled drugs.

I love this concept! Here's to hoping we all get the opportunity to tout our current event knowledge.

Here you will be able to find mention of what was stated above in regard to the proposed revision of the Controlled Substance Act- they have also listed a few additional resources if you'd like to dive deeper into the chasm. Having worked for a mobile equine practice for a few years, I know how essential these drugs and medications can be to everyday practice and patient welfare, and I am excited at the prospect of not being in violation of the Act in my future career.

Members don't see this ad :)
Animal Health Smart Brief email subscription through the AVMA. Done and done.

DVM360 is also a good site.

Edit: Figured a place to go and find topics followed along the theme of this thread....

Last edited:
Just bumping this thread because of this. Especially going into prime interview season!