Other OT-Related Information current highschool student trying to figure out their career path, OT or RN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kaitlyn.w0009

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello! im currently a sophomore in highschool. before i start yes, i am aware there are many differences between being an OT versus and RN, but they are my decisions so far. Im not sure which path would be the right one for me. Im going to be paying for all of my college, so i dont know how suitable it would be for be to get my BA then go to OT school, versus getting my BSN (which i know can be expensive as well). Also, im worried if i go to get my BA in psychology, and dont get accepted into OT school, ill pretty much have a less than stellar degree under my belt. I like the rehabilitative side to OT, so if i did take the RN route id try to work somewhere similar to there. I also like the therapeutic side to OT as well. However, becoming an RN may be more financially responsible and i feel as if i have more flexibility in the field regarding where id like to work. yes, OT as some flexibility as well, but id only have to get a Bachelors if i became an RN. im just really lost, if any has any experience in the RN and/or OT field and have any sort of advice, it would be very helpful. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Since you are still in the early years of highschool I would start looking into 5 year programs for OT. Many schools have them these days, I know Towson & Elizabethtown offer them. This way you would bypass grad school so to say & get your Bachelors and Masters combined which would be similar to the RN route. Very tough program for both so make sure to keep your grades up in highschool and start getting your shadowing done early so you can show how invested you are when applying. It seems to me you are truly interested in OT so I would definitely start looking into it. Also, OT has many different settings that you could work in from hospitals, schools, home health, subacute, hand clinic, outpatient, daycare, I mean the list goes on and on. Good luck!

Since you are still in the early years of highschool I would start looking into 5 year programs for OT. Many schools have them these days, I know Towson & Elizabethtown offer them. This way you would bypass grad school so to say & get your Bachelors and Masters combined which would be similar to the RN route. Very tough program for both so make sure to keep your grades up in highschool and start getting your shadowing done early so you can show how invested you are when applying. It seems to me you are truly interested in OT so I would definitely start looking into it. Also, OT has many different settings that you could work in from hospitals, schools, home health, subacute, hand clinic, outpatient, daycare, I mean the list goes on and on. Good luck!
thank you! ive heard of those. im only 16, would they allow a 16 year old to shadow?

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you! ive heard of those. im only 16, would they allow a 16 year old to shadow?

I don't see why not & definitely wouldnt hurt to start reaching out and asking different places in your community. Reach out to your local hospital, elementary school, rehab clinics. This will also be a great way to make sure you like the field. Many people glorify the job, but there are many unpleasant aspects of it and it will be good to make sure you like it sooner than later!

hello! im currently a sophomore in highschool. before i start yes, i am aware there are many differences between being an OT versus and RN, but they are my decisions so far. Im not sure which path would be the right one for me. Im going to be paying for all of my college, so i dont know how suitable it would be for be to get my BA then go to OT school, versus getting my BSN (which i know can be expensive as well). Also, im worried if i go to get my BA in psychology, and dont get accepted into OT school, ill pretty much have a less than stellar degree under my belt. I like the rehabilitative side to OT, so if i did take the RN route id try to work somewhere similar to there. I also like the therapeutic side to OT as well. However, becoming an RN may be more financially responsible and i feel as if i have more flexibility in the field regarding where id like to work. yes, OT as some flexibility as well, but id only have to get a Bachelors if i became an RN. im just really lost, if any has any experience in the RN and/or OT field and have any sort of advice, it would be very helpful. Thank you.
Nursing is a great and promising degree. You can always start with that and go to grad school later if OT is what you really want. I did a speech and hearing degree and then switched career tracks and am going for OT now. Speech and hearing is not a super useful degree and I'm a therapy aide right now until I start my masters. I don't regret my degree though because I always knew I'd go through grad school.
If you want to pursue OT, I also recommend looking into a 3+2 program that allows you to do your undergrad and grad in 5 years.
Since you're only 16, I really recommend shadowing. Sometimes it takes a few calls/emails to find a place but try shadowing a nurse and an OT. You can shadow both in one setting if you find an inpatient unit at a hospital. I was set in speech language pathology at 16 and didn't think I would change my mind... but I did at 21!
Do what you love but be logical and make sure it is feasible and financially stable.

As someone who has experience in both areas, I agree with the above comments that you should shadow both professions. They both involve client centered care, but they focus on different things. Nursing, at least floor nursing is rewarding but presents its challenges. In the hospitals as a nurse unless you decide to do critical care there is not a lot of 1:1 patient care. Most of the time you have 4+ patients that you will be caring for, which as much as you may want to, does not leave a lot of time for individualized care. OT, although their schedules are hectic as well and they have productivity levels to meet, they do get to provide 1:1 patient care in some settings.
If you want to get more hands on experience I might suggest looking into becoming a nursing assistant or rehab tech. This will provide you with more patient interaction and also interaction with nurses and OTs. Plus it will also look great on a resume no matter which field you end up choosing. Both are amazing careers and you will make a difference! Don't let finances decide your future, if it is your dream, hold tight and fight to make it work! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask! Best of Luck!

I think everyone has hit the bases: get your feet wet with some observations, look into schools with 3+2 OT programs if that's what you choose, and consider looking for a tech job early. Many of my classmates were techs before OT school. However, if you're like me & there aren't many options for tech jobs (if any), look into Care.com for special needs caregivers. You might have to wait until you're 18, but for me, it was the most rewarding, intense, and thought-provoking job I've had, and it gave me great experience & contacts to get letters of recommendation for school applications (as well as potential fieldwork sites). Getting into OT school can be tough in itself, so doing things that make you stand out will always be in your benefit. Also, if you end up doing research and want to go the RN route, don't be scared of career changes years down the road; some of my classmates are former accountants, nurses, military vets, retail managers, entrepreneurs, single parents - you name it. For now, check out youtube, google stuff, check RN or OT pinterest boards to get an idea of what students find useful, and reach out to local places to ask if you could shadow someone for a day or two.