Current HPSP Student Stipend & Tax Question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DredPiratRobrts

Access Denied.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For someone who is currently getting the HPSP stipend...

How much is your gross/net pay per payment? I know it's currently $1607 a month, split and paid on the 1st and 15th.

I'll be getting paid when it goes up to $1907 in July. I'm just trying to get a sense of how much $ actually comes in and how much goes back to Uncle Sam.

Members don't see this ad.

For someone who is currently getting the HPSP stipend...

How much is your gross/net pay per payment? I know it's currently $1607 a month, split and paid on the 1st and 15th.

I'll be getting paid when it goes up to $1907 in July. I'm just trying to get a sense of how much $ actually comes in and how much goes back to Uncle Sam.

745.97 twice a month. California income tax taken out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Negative on all the FICA stuff. I just looked at mypay to confirm.

That is great since you can't get that back...unless it is still around 40 years from now...

But the state and federal taxes..you should be able to get some of it back if you aren't pulling in too much money from other sources.

Thanks for the information

Does anyone know if this is the same across the board for all HPSP, and if so, what the exemption is? I don't think the student-employee exemption applies because that is for students who are paid by the school.

Not sure about that. But, I did ROTC and never paid FICA or state/federal taxes on it, granted the yearly amount was much less (4k in stipend)