Current Issues in Podiatric Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podlover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

What are some of the current issues affecting podiatric medicine? Clinical and non- clincial...

Members don't see this ad.

National Scope of Practice

Reimbursement reductions

Residency Shortage

Hello All,

What are some of the current issues affecting podiatric medicine? Clinical and non- clincial...

I also find there to be alot of DPMs with chips on their shoulders, warranted or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also find there to be a lot of DPMs with chips on their shoulders, warranted or not.
Fixed.

It's not just DPMS. There are many docs you will meet who seem this way.

Whether it's because they don't make as much as the used to, are dissatisfied with their matched long term specialty...blah, blah, blah.

Many paint a dismal picture for these reasons. They don't want competition and are afraid you (the next generation) will eventually overshadow them. Although this may seem like a legitimate reason to be a miserable oaf, it's not. Those who embrace the future will be destined to help lead the charge. Simple as that.

Those of us facing and overcoming the challenges, may offer words of wisdom and warning, but there is no place for that chip imo. YOU must be happy with your career path. Things will fall into place if you are.

Now before everyone gets into a huff over what I just said, think about it. Then get into a huff:D.

I also find there to be alot of DPMs with chips on their shoulders, warranted or not.

You are an applicant, correct? Just curious as to where you are seeing a 'lot' of DPMs with an attitude? What is the extent of your experience(s) around DPM's?

National Scope of Practice

Reimbursement reductions

Residency Shortage

How do the reimbursement reductions compare to other medical specialties? Has/Will podiatry been hit harder than everyone else?

How do the reimbursement reductions compare to other medical specialties? Has/Will podiatry been hit harder than everyone else?

Yes and no.

Every doctors gets hit with it. When medicare reduces reimbursements, it does it globally and then every insurance plan follows suit.

Where we differ is that somehow or other, we always seem to have a colleague down the road who will do it for cheaper. This ultimately forces us to take a lower rate to stay on the insurance panels. Sad but true.

If we ALL banded together we would get so much more done.

Yes and no.

Every doctors gets hit with it. When medicare reduces reimbursements, it does it globally and then every insurance plan follows suit.

Where we differ is that somehow or other, we always seem to have a colleague down the road who will do it for cheaper. This ultimately forces us to take a lower rate to stay on the insurance panels. Sad but true.

If we ALL banded together we would get so much more done.

This is really sad......it's not an oil change, it's medical treatment

Careful there Kidsfeet...we don't want anyone to get accused of price fixing hehehe :laugh:

Right you are. There are federal laws that prevent small groups from trying that. It's called Callusion and can be a major headache. Which is why ALL of us need to band together or nothing will get done.

Last edited:
Is there anything the APMA can do about any of these concerns, especially the reimubursements?

Is there anything the APMA can do about any of these concerns, especially the reimubursements?

They have a team of people working on this day in and day out as well as a committee of colleagues with their ear to the ground at all times. Without the APMA's efforts things would be A LOT worse than they are. Believe me on that one.

They have a team of people working on this day in and day out as well as a committee of colleagues with their ear to the ground at all times. Without the APMA's efforts things would be A LOT worse than they are. Believe me on that one.

I believe ya. Anything specific you know of? Just curious.

I believe ya. Anything specific you know of? Just curious.

Sure!

They have lobbyist at the state and federal levels tugging on the ears of the politicos to make them aware of what is going on both state and federally funded and private insurances. They also have state and federal reps who sit on the boards of organizations to help manage Medicare and Medicaid legislature. It's a lot of work and many who help with this do so on a volunteer basis.

One thing I'd like to bring up, which has been said in the past, is that other organizations within our profession like ACFAS, ACFAOM, and the ASPS are not able to work at lobbying due to the types of organizations they are set up as. The APMA is our ONLY source for this, which is why being a member is so important.

I'm only a first year, so my understanding of the field and all of it's ins and outs is a bit limited.

That being said, so far after seeing several DPM's give lectures, interviewing at various schools and reading about the news, it seems like feet are a pretty big issue in our field. Apparently everyone has them, some people even have 2.

I'm only a first year, so my understanding of the field and all of it's ins and outs is a bit limited.

That being said, so far after seeing several DPM's give lectures, interviewing at various schools and reading about the news, it seems like feet are a pretty big issue in our field. Apparently everyone has them, some people even have 2.

You just blew my mind.

A legitimate issue is that many people (patients and other healthcare providers alike) don't know what we do, including our full capabilities and scope of practice that corresponds to the extent of our nonsurgical and surgical training.

I've seen the scenario several times: the patient will come to you for an ingrown, but not even think about you when they sprain their ankle because they don't realize we have that training as well. I'm not (at all) saying that we all need to be traumatologists in order to be legitimized, but it seems (at times and in certain places) like all we get credit for is being bunionologists.

Which isn't terrible in and of itself, but it certainly is only one dimension of our far more extensive training.

Has anyone tried giving their patients pamphlets with a quick rundown of "today's podiatrist" and all the field has to offer? I'm wondering if that would help bring patients back for more severe issues or if they would throw it away and judge you on the same level as a used car salesman for trying to market a business that has traditionally been all word of mouth (medicine in general, that is). Anyone heard of this method succeeding or failing?

Residency Shortage

I had an admission director tell me last week that the residency shortage is being corrected and by the time I graduate from pod school all students will be able to be placed as long as their part IIs are passed. :xf: