Current Med Students, Please advise: UCI vs. UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whole9yards

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am hoping that any current med students at either UCI or UCSD can give some insight to their experiences (also, anyone familiar with the schools, please feel free to chip in)?

I am currently choosing between UCI and UCSD, and will be attending second looks in April. I currently have the following pro/con list for both schools.

Pro UCI: iPad curriculum, brand new MedEd building and hospital, small class size (104 students), friendly/laid-back students, close to home (I am from SoCal), really great match list, ultrasound integration, early clinical exposure

Con UCI: 80% lecture attendance mandatory, H/P/F second year, lecture heavy (compared to UCSD's PBL focus), smaller programs/departments
Pro UCSD: Awesome location, new MedEd building, upcoming Jacobs hospital (wont open till 2015/2016, but will be an amazing hospital), PBL focus, large free clinic, P/F first two years, educational support staff (PhD tutors), systems based curriculum

Con UCSD: larger class size (~150), hospital not as new as UCI's, larger departments (may make it difficult to find mentorship with busy schedules)

Basically, they are both great schools, though UCSD has more national name recognition, which doesn't matter for me since I want to stay in CA for residency. Im stuck picking between the two, and would love some advice from current students or anyone familiar with the schools. Please feel free to add to the pro/con lists or just give random advice! Much appreciated!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am hoping that any current med students at either UCI or UCSD can give some insight to their experiences (also, anyone familiar with the schools, please feel free to chip in)?

I am currently choosing between UCI and UCSD, and will be attending second looks in April. I currently have the following pro/con list for both schools.

Pro UCI: iPad curriculum, brand new MedEd building and hospital, small class size (104 students), friendly/laid-back students, close to home (I am from SoCal), really great match list, ultrasound integration, early clinical exposure

Con UCI: 80% lecture attendance mandatory, H/P/F second year, lecture heavy (compared to UCSD's PBL focus), smaller programs/departments
Pro UCSD: Awesome location, new MedEd building, upcoming Jacobs hospital (wont open till 2015/2016, but will be an amazing hospital), PBL focus, large free clinic, P/F first two years, educational support staff (PhD tutors), systems based curriculum

Con UCSD: larger class size (~150), hospital not as new as UCI's, larger departments (may make it difficult to find mentorship with busy schedules)

Basically, they are both great schools, though UCSD has more national name recognition, which doesn't matter for me since I want to stay in CA for residency. Im stuck picking between the two, and would love some advice from current students or anyone familiar with the schools. Please feel free to add to the pro/con lists or just give random advice! Much appreciated!! :)

From what I've read and heard from current med students, the mandatory attendance thing is a HUGE turn off and should be avoided like the plague. Also P/F was something they really liked too. Because of those two things I'd go for UCSD hands down.

Not current but local to both areas and I know students at both. This should not even be a decision. UCSD all the way.

Members don't see this ad :)

no thanks

UCSD, there's no real comparison between theses schools.

Not current but local to both areas and I know students at both. This should not even be a decision. UCSD all the way.

I agree.. fellow so cal'er. How is this even a question??/

UCSD is far superior in more ways than one. UCSD IS A TOP TEN SCHOOL FOR PEETS SAKE!!!

A thread that I think would be helpful for you to read

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=992187

I know that UCI has a Second Look coming up. Could you attend and see how it feels? There is always a lot of talk on SDN about years 1 & 2, curriculum, etc. I would choose the best FIT for YOU...do you like going to class? would you rather watch videos? You could also focus on your clinical training...look into the variety of places where you can train at each location. Is it a mix of private and public institutions? Is the pt population diverse? Is there a VA where you will rotate?

Also, UCI's iPad integration seems pretty awesome :)

It's good that you have the opportunity to go to both second looks. It should help you make your decision. Either way, you can't really go wrong, especially if you would like to stay in California for residency.

Hola! First off, congrats on getting accepted to two wonderful schools! I've only gotten accepted at UCSD so I can't chime in on UCI. Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought UCSD's class size is at 125 seats (including MD/PhDs, BS/MD, etc.)? If that's the case, then the class size differences isn't that much between UCI and UCSD.

Furthermore, you shouldn't worry about not getting faculty mentors. For one, I believe you get assigned to a primary care physician your first year to get early clinical exposure. And secondly, you're required to do the ISP which, depending on the project, may include a faculty mentor.

Anyways, it's ultimately your choice. I, too, am from SoCal so living close to home is a must! Keep in mind, though, that UCSD is only roughly 1.5 hrs away from UCI so it's (at least for me) is not that big of a difference. My advice is to go into both 2nd looks with an open mind and get a good feel for both your future classmates (like me! for UCSD :D) and the programs. When they're over, I think you should go with the school you're most comfortable with and would be most happy to spend 4 years in. Good luck OP!

Most of the things you're listing as pros/cons are minor differences that aren't very important at all when deciding between schools (iPad curriculum, new buildings, class size, dept. size, etc...).

Look into the clinical years at both schools (talk to M3s and M4s).
Compare the cost of attendance and cost of living.
Do they have residencies in the specialties that interest you?
Do they have research in areas that interest you?
Where would you rather live for the next 4 years?

One of the most helpful posts on SDN that I used when I was choosing between schools as a pre-med:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=104541

That being said, UCSD is a better school overall and they have preclinical P/F grading.

In pretty much every comparison, UCSD will trump UCI.

UCSD is located on bluffs overlooking some of the most exclusive and pristine beaches and reefs in Southern California. It is also surrounded by multi-million dollar homes. Mitt Romney has one there so that should give you an idea of the type of people in La Jolla. You would most likely be living in Pacific Beach, UTC area, or on campus housing for at least the first year. San Diego is very easy to get around and a very fun city.

UCI is located in a similar location as UCSD with Laguna Beach being similar to La Jolla, and Newport Beach being similar to Pacific Beach. However, UCI is a little bit inland in the boring suburbia of Irvine. You also will most likely be dealing with horrendous traffic on the 5 and 405 if you plan on going anywhere or commuting from one of the beach cities.

Both schools are in very similar locations with UCSD's being more desirable in my opinion. Location trumps UCI. Academics definitely trump UCI. Funding definitely trumps UCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.