This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nutritionbuff

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am hoping that current or graduated medical students could shed some light on UCI and UCSD - beyond what can be read on their websites. I am choosing between the two schools and having a hard time.. In the last couple years, all the major differences that I could identify have been rectified (UCI no longer has mandatory lectures or grades, UCSD updated its curriculum). Basically the rank and location is the only difference I am aware of. Does anyone have any information on the student body, school-life balance, residency match success (esp for internal medicine, and later GI), or anything else that may help? Id really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

UCSD seems like a no-brainer to me. As for location, that's entirely up to you. Your fellowship will most likely care about where you went to residency more than medical school anyway. UCSD would most likely set you up for better residencies.

This is a pre-allo issue, but my only question would be where you want to be for residency.

UCSD's residencies are generally of a stronger reputation than UCI's, so if you want to stay in one place for medical school + residency, something to consider.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,

I am hoping that current or graduated medical students could shed some light on UCI and UCSD - beyond what can be read on their websites. I am choosing between the two schools and having a hard time.. In the last couple years, all the major differences that I could identify have been rectified (UCI no longer has mandatory lectures or grades, UCSD updated its curriculum). Basically the rank and location is the only difference I am aware of. Does anyone have any information on the student body, school-life balance, residency match success (esp for internal medicine, and later GI), or anything else that may help? Id really appreciate it!

I worked in the Med/GI dept for a bit at Ucsd. GI research is very strong there and so would say getting that experience in both med school and residency (if you land IM in house) would be an advantage over UCI. There is a good amount of collab between the GI dept and the La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology, Sanford Burham Prebys Medical Institute and of course the Altman Clinical and Translational Research Institute (with most trials headed by dr sandborn).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app