Current OMFS Residents, help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Manic324

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just have a quick question for current OMFS residents. Did any of you receive recommendation letters from your externships? I think I would feel awkward asking for a rec after a 2 week externship, but is that the norm?

Also this has been brought up a million times, but what do you think class rank cutoffs are for most programs/ do you know for your own program? This info is super hard to find other than people on SDN who have never applied saying you HAVE to be in top 10%, but that seems unreasonable. Anyone want to chime in on that too?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Two people at VCU got into a residency ranked 18. At my school they typically only consider the top 10 first, then the top 20.

Reactions: 1 user
I would avoid asking for LOR's from faculty at programs other than your home program. At all my externships, I barely had an opportunity to meet with faculty, and definitely did not feel like they got to know me well enough to write me a LOR. Also, every program would expect you to get LOR's from your home program faculty. Get to know them, shadow them in the clinics/OR, and I'm sure you'll get great LOR's.

With regards to class rank, there is no specific cutoff that I have seen. As a rough estimate, being in the top 25 would give you a decent shot of getting interviews at most programs. Obviously, the higher the better.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was 15/75 and matched at a baller program.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I was 15/75 and matched at a baller program.

You also scored in the top 5% of dental students who took the cbse, though. Work hard gents. You might get to be like alexeb one day.

Reactions: 1 user
I was 50-something out of 150 something and my score was nothing to write home about. Only applied to 8 programs but got interviews at most of them.

Work hard, stand out without grandstanding, and improve your application in other ways.

I was 50-something out of 150 something and my score was nothing to write home about. Only applied to 8 programs but got interviews at most of them.

Work hard, stand out without grandstanding, and improve your application in other ways.
Thanks! but I think military people get a huge advantage, do you think that's accurate?

I think there's an advantage for some programs but it's not necessarily huge depending on the program. Several programs I interviewed at were not programs that typically take .mil applicants. Military applicants have gone unmatched in the past.

You also scored in the top 5% of dental students who took the cbse, though. Work hard gents. You might get to be like alexeb one day.

True, and I felt like I had to in order to compensate. If you're application is weak in one area, bolster it in others. Apply and hope for the best.