Current or Former Pritzker Hold Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phoenix.

Emdee Jaydee
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So anyone who got the Pritzker hold (i.e., "we'll review you again in late January - please email updates to us") feel free to post here.

Also, if anyone who was put on hold last year actually got an interview (or...*gasp*...was accepted) please post too!

I'm not holding out much hope (especially since I don't have anything to update them with but a letter of interest), but it sure beats an outright rejection! Personally, I'm shocked that my 30 MCAT and 8 in PS didn't get me the boot already.

So, congrats to all those on Pritzker's hold list!

Members don't see this ad.

I am joining you on this one...Just logged in and saw that I am also placed on hold. It sucks that we won't be looked at again until late January, seems like the odds of getting in then are a lot slimmer. Still it would be nice to hear some success stories.

My file isn't even complete yet, and I have the same message. So I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

Members don't see this ad :)
My file isn't even complete yet, and I have the same message. So I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

Hmmm. Interesting. What's missing from your file? I've been complete since 8/02, so I figured they've definitely taken a look at my app already.

If you don't mind my asking, what do you think is the weakness in your app? Maybe we have something in common if you really weren't complete yet when you were put on hold (if not, perhaps they really did review our entire apps). I figure that I don't have much research (only a year of helping with a clinical research project), and a 30 on the MCAT with an 8 in PS.

EDIT: Yeah, nevermind. Mango just kicked that theory out of the water. Beautiful MCAT score!

phoenix, you might want to take a look at the MDApps of some of the people who have been rejected from Pritzker so far... They only interview ~10% of applicants so a lot of qualified ppl are going to get rejected. You should be happy you're on hold :)

phoenix, you might want to take a look at the MDApps of some of the people who have been rejected from Pritzker so far... They only interview ~10% of applicants so a lot of qualified ppl are going to get rejected. You should be happy you're on hold :)

Yeah, I remember being dumbfounded when I saw that they axed some ridiculously qualified and stellar applicants already (39 MCAT *cough*). I can't even fathom that. Ok, I'll assume that there's no reason other than that we all "might possibly" fit Prtizker's amorphous idea of a "good fit." It's nice to not receive an outright rejection, but I'm honestly thinking that this is really only a hair away from a rejection. So, in my mind, I'm treating it like one.

yeah I saw that thread too....doesn't make me too confident about my chances of coming off the hold list

My letters aren't in yet, and I just submitted by secondary application yesterday (although it hasn't updated and still says it's incomplete). So I'm not sure whether they automatically put everyone from now on on hold until Januray or what, but if they just went off of my primary, that's a little strange and unfair, considering I have a 3.9 and and a 32.

CGuy07, Does yours actually say "we will review again in January" etc. or does it say "No decision has been made?" Thanks!

My letters aren't in yet, and I just submitted by secondary application yesterday (although it hasn't updated and still says it's incomplete). So I'm not sure whether they automatically put everyone from now on on hold until Januray or what, but if they just went off of my primary, that's a little strange and unfair, considering I have a 3.9 and and a 32.

That is really odd. I can't imagine you went from "submitted & incomplete" to "on hold to be reviewed again in January" in one day. I'd suggest calling them, but they don't have the friendliest woman in the universe answering the phones....

Oh, and I had a glitch as well - I got a "complete" email on 7/12 before my MCAT score even came out, and then a second "complete" email on 8/02. So, perhaps your status is a glitch too?

They don't even have my MCAT score yet (took the July 24th MCAT) and they have me on the hold 'til January. So either there is some random non-MCAT related cut-off, or there is a glitch....

Sorry, guys, but I just called and spoke to someone, and they said that I definitely haven't been reviewed yet and that i'm NOT on hold. They said that they're having a problem with the status portal page, and that it sounds like many people are erroneously getting that "on hold" message. So cruel. So, my gut is that I'll be receiving that rejection letter soon.

The woman I spoke to said to just ignore the status page and wait for an email. She said that it's around 2-4 weeks (or did she say 4-6 weeks - sorry!) from when you're complete that the committee has reviewed your app and returned it to them to send you an email of their decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, guys, but I just called and spoke to someone, and they said that I definitely haven't been reviewed yet and that i'm NOT on hold. They said that they're having a problem with the status portal page, and that it sounds like many people are erroneously getting that "on hold" message. So cruel. So, my gut is that I'll be receiving that rejection email soon.

The woman I spoke to said to just ignore the status page and wait for an email. She said that it's around 2-4 weeks (or did she say 4-6 weeks - sorry!) from when you're complete that the committee has reviewed your app and returned it to them to send you an email of their decision.

So since I haven't received an e-mail yet from them telling me I was on hold, I am going to assume I fall in that same boat as you; where I haven't been reviewed yet...

kinda happy about this, but I guess now I am still open to rejection

Sorry, guys, but I just called and spoke to someone, and they said that I definitely haven't been reviewed yet and that i'm NOT on hold. They said that they're having a problem with the status portal page, and that it sounds like many people are erroneously getting that "on hold" message. So cruel. So, my gut is that I'll be receiving that rejection email soon.

Great news! Thanks for calling.

Great news! Thanks for calling.

You're very welcome. Thanks for posting about your hold status when you were still incomplete. The more info, the merrier.

So, from what Pritzker said, an invite or hold would be emailed. I'm guessing they're going to stick with just snail mailing the rejections out. I also wonder if they're just going to do away with the "interview decision made" status portion of the status page altogether given the problems they've been having.

I got this message in my portal today:

The Admissions Committee will not be continuing your application further in our admissions process. We are anticipating close to 7,000 applications this year, and are unfortunately having to make tough decisions regarding who we will be able to bring on campus for one of our 600 interview slots. In April of 2007 interested applicants may call our office to set up an appointment to talk with one of our Directors of Admissions and Financial Aid to discuss the reasons for this decision and possible suggestions for improvement.

I hope they're having trouble with the system spitting that one out too!! I was hoping to at least interview there, since it's close (ish) to home :(

Ouch. Hope it was a glitch too! I just noticed more info at the bottom of the portal page. But I have no idea if your message is legit or not. You could always call them.... Or just wait for the letter confirmation. Good luck. Here's the message:

"Once you have submitted your secondary application, it will take one business day for the updated status to appear on the Applicant Portal Page

All admissions decisions will be communicated directly to you using the contact information provided in your AMCAS application. The Application Status Portal will allow you to learn more quickly whether you will be invited to interview on campus. Final acceptance decisions made by the Committee on Admissions post-interview will NOT be reflected on the Application Status Portal. You may learn through the Portal whether a decision has been made, but the decision itself will be communicated directly from our office.

For additional questions about your application, please email the Admissions Office."

I got this message in my portal today:

The Admissions Committee will not be continuing your application further in our admissions process. We are anticipating close to 7,000 applications this year, and are unfortunately having to make tough decisions regarding who we will be able to bring on campus for one of our 600 interview slots. In April of 2007 interested applicants may call our office to set up an appointment to talk with one of our Directors of Admissions and Financial Aid to discuss the reasons for this decision and possible suggestions for improvement.

I find it strange that it says that I can make an appointment in April 2007 to speak with admissions about how to improve my chances. I guess if I invent a time machine so I can actually make that appointment it should help my chances for next cycle.

I hope they're having trouble with the system spitting that one out too!! I was hoping to at least interview there, since it's close (ish) to home :(

hey,
ive been complete since a month now... 18 of July to be exact.. and it still says for that no decision has been made..
and I have that additional line too about "no decision has been made" and all that stuff about updating takin 1 business day.
hmm now i think maybe i should call them

That message is legit, I have it in my portal and have snail mail confirmation.

What number or process have you been following when calling Pritzker and actually talking to someone. I keep getting stuck with an automated system that either tells me to send them an e-mail, or asks me to leave a message???

Nevermind...my portal has been fixed

Yeah, my status page changed this morning from the "hold" message to:

A decision has not been made

Guess they finally fixed it! The question is whether we bother to continue to check that freaky status page. Probably should just rely on my snail mail box instead!

gluck to you guys who have a hold (its better than being outright rejected)

I have the same issue with
"A final decision has been made: No"

Then I get the hold until January message underneath that.

Yesterday, it said that they hadn't made a final decision, and I have yet to receive an email/letter.

Guess I'll just wait on an email before I jump to any conclusions...

I have the same issue with
"A final decision has been made: No"

Then I get the hold until January message underneath that.

Yesterday, it said that they hadn't made a final decision, and I have yet to receive an email/letter.

Guess I'll just wait on an email before I jump to any conclusions...

Yeah, according to the woman at Prtizker I spoke to yesterday, if that hold message on the status page isn't accompanied by an email, it should be ignored and is a glitch. Good luck (although from your mdapps & other invites, you don't need luck!).

gluck to you guys who have a hold (its better than being outright rejected)

Actually, I don't believe that anyone has a real hold from Prtizker yet since no one has received an email saying they were on hold until January. It appears they were all glitches. I should probably change the title to: Pritzker Hold Glitch. Heh.

i received an e-mail before the website status changed

so.... i received the rejection message from pritzker... is it a sure thing or could it possibly be a glitch??

if it's the real thing.. my first of a long list of rejections =(

Sorry midori, but there haven't been any reports of erroneous rejections. A snail mail envelope should be on its way - that's your final confirmation. You're in very good company, though. Pull up a chair. :)

complete 8/1 I think

On hold e-mail 8/15

status changed 8/16

complete 8/1 I think

On hold e-mail 8/15

status changed 8/16

Thanks for confirming that a hold email does actually go out when the hold message on the status page is legit.

Good luck, and congrats on avoiding the Pritzker axe for now. I'm truly astounded by the quality of the applicants they don't select for an outright interview, let alone decide to send a rejection.

Thanks for confirming that a hold email does actually go out when the hold message on the status page is legit.

Good luck, and congrats on avoiding the Pritzker axe for now. I'm truly astounded by the quality of the applicants they don't select for an outright interview, let alone decide to send a rejection.

Well the way I see it is that 90% of applicants are rejected pre-interview, so that means a lot of good people are going to get the axe. It's going to be the same pretty much post interview too...

Got the official on hold email today, here's an excerpt:

"Dear Applicant:

Your application has been reviewed by the Committee on Admissions and has been placed on hold for a second review after a greater number of candidates have been screened. The date of this second review cannot be stated with certainty. You will be notified by February 15 if you are to be invited for interviews. "

First heartbreak of the season, good luck to everyone else.

Time to go get ready for a lab meeting...

I got the hold, my first quasi-rejection/acknowledgment of existence by a med school (with e-mail)

Just in case y'all hadn't figured it out yet, Pritzker is really, really, really bad with anything technological. David and his crew are great people but expect more of the same, regardless of being rejected or interviewed or even accepted. Nonetheless, the school is fantastic and I wish you all the best!! (I almost ended up there for this year.)

What makes you say that? I'm not being defensive...just curious about any bad experiences you've had.

I was put on hold at Pritzker...but here's to show you how random the process is.....

I was not only given an interview...but also accepted.

However, I had an extenuating personal circumstance. I was going to Chicago for an interview at NW and since I was making the trip to Chicago, they agreed to review my application in September and give me a final decision (i was placed on hold in August)....I was granted an interview and eventually accepted.....But, I heard its really hard to get off the hold list....I just got "lucky"

ha, i had the on hold message and was starting to draft a letter of interest, but now my status has changed to the "a decision has not been made" message. ugh.

To bring a dead thread back to life, my status at Pritzker changed to a pre-interview hold today. What are the chances this is a technological bug? My guess, none. :( Anyone got any info on this by any chance?
BTW, the final decision category still says no. So, i'm just confused.

To bring a dead thread back to life, my status at Pritzker changed to a pre-interview hold today. What are the chances this is a technological bug? My guess, none. :( Anyone got any info on this by any chance?
BTW, the final decision category still says no. So, i'm just confused.

According to Pritzker's admin office, if it is a legit hold, you should be receiving an email telling you about your hold status soon. But I'm paranoid, so if it were me, I'd call them tomorrow and double-check if I haven't received the email by then. Congrats on not getting that swift and almighty axe!

I've been checking my Pritzker and NWU status pages MANY times a day, holding my breath each time I click to check it.... Urgh.

Ugh, I hear ya! I hate this freakin' process.
No e-mail yet ... Did you ever get that e-mail? Or is your status page back to the no decision made message since that one day back in August?

Ugh, I hear ya! I hate this freakin' process.
No e-mail yet ... Did you ever get that e-mail? Or is your status page back to the no decision made message since that one day back in August?

Yeah, my status went back to "No decision has been made" after I called them and they told me it was a glitch. I think they've fixed it, since several other people's status who had received the hold status also updated to that message. Never received any email, so I assume I'm still "under review," and should receive a "letter" shortly.

Oh, another way to determine if it's the glitch message or not is if it references 2007 or 2008 in it....

It doesnt mention a year at all. Just says late January.

Will do. Thanks for the prompt responses.

I think I am on Hold at Pritzker...I logged in this morning to check my status and I had the hold message (no mention of 2007 or 2008, just says late January)...if it is legitimate, frankly, I am SHOCKED. Pritzker is by far my first choice, but my numbers are very mediocre, and certainly below their averages...I guess I will call later this afternoon to confirm....anyone else called?