Current/past scribes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmrf2613

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an ER scribe that is starting the process of applying to medical school. I was wondering who you all have asked for recommendation letters in the past. I know I can probably ask a doctor that I've worked with but has anyone ever asked their chief scribe? I was considering it but wasn't sure if it would be a good idea. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I probably wouldn't ask a chief scribe unless they are not a premed too.

You can ask a doctor if they actually know your name and you have worked for them in particular for more than a couple months.

I personally didn't use any letters for there because I didn't know anyone individually that well.

I am currently an ER scribe that is starting the process of applying to medical school. I was wondering who you all have asked for recommendation letters in the past. I know I can probably ask a doctor that I've worked with but has anyone ever asked their chief scribe? I was considering it but wasn't sure if it would be a good idea. Thanks!

I'm working as a scribe in an Allergy and Immunology clinic. I don't think a chief scribe would be a good candidate for a LOR. I am really close to asking the doctor I work under for a letter but I'm hesitant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, don't ask your chief scribe for a LOR. As long as you're outgoing, hard-working, and pleasant to be around, a doc or two would be more than happy to write you a solid letter.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I was an ER scribe for 2.5 years. I asked for LOR from 2 docs. One doc I had gotten to know after about a year (maybe 8-10 shifts with him?) and he literally had it done the next day after i asked him, he let me read it and it was a really kickass letter.

The other doc I had gotten to know pretty well also and asked a couple times, he agreed to do it, I waited a few months, asked again, waited a month and just let it go because he clearly wasn't going to do it/kept forgetting. I think a big part of it was that I was using interfolio and he was older (65+) and just had no clue how to do it. I tried explaining it but I think he just dgaf about learning it lol

All our chief scribes were pre-med or pre-PA so no idea why you would ask them for a LOR, unless it's for something other than med school

Last edited:
Don't ask your chief scribe. Seriously, it's just a glorified title to an underpaid peer pre-med student. I thought the purpose of scribing for many was to establish relationships and shadow-type experience with doctors, no?

Ask an ER doc.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I wouldn't bother with the chief. Most docs are more than willing to write you one if you've been at that shop for a little while.