Currently doing post bacc. I am currently failing one of my classes. Should I still try for at least a B- or drop?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnqwFlake

Reaction score
The class I'm failing is Molecular Biology 2. The material isn't hard. The reason I'm failing is that I used my own words when creating flashcards. The teacher isn't testing us on whether we understand the material. He is testing us on whether we know the stuff on the powerpoints word from word. I underestimated the class which is my fault. There are usually 30 to 35 questions which can be anything from his 150+ slides even the least important stuff on a slide. I'm not sure if I should attempt to get at least a B- or drop since I already have 3 W's and 2 F's on my transcript but that was from 3 years ago. I'm also taking Immunology, Immunology lab, and 2 online elective courses which I will get A's in. My cGPA is currently a 3.3. If I get a C+ on Molecular Biology 2 my GPA for this semester will be a 3.6 and it will be a 3.7 for a B-. I have 2 more exams for this course. One of them is 3 weeks away and my final is 4 weeks away and it replaces one of my lower exam scores. If I don't drop it, I'm planning to start memorizing now to make sure I know everything word from word. I know med schools want to see an upward trend but I'm not sure if it's worse to drop in my case. I should also add its possible to get either a B or B+ if I get a 90% or higher on the last 2 exams. He also gives 4 point curves.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think it's possible for you to get a B- in the course considering the lowest test score is replaced, but ultimately you need to think about if it's reasonable for you to get the grades needed on those last 2 exams with the time you have left to study. I guess it also depends on how bad you're failing and how many grades are already in that can't be replaced. Use one of those grade calculators like this one to help you make your decision.

Well I'm not confident about anything so I'm not sure. I just know how to do my flashcards. I have to write word from word and make sure to include the smallest of details. I also know that a C- is between a 60 and 64. My grades for the first two exams was a 40% and my second grade was a 57%. Taking the final would drop the 40% if I get a higher score on it. If I get an 80 on the next exam and final I would end with a C+ for the class. An 85 would be a B-.

I think it's possible for you to get a B- in the course considering the lowest test score is replaced, but ultimately you need to think about if it's reasonable for you to get the grades needed on those last 2 exams with the time you have left to study. I guess it also depends on how bad you're failing and how many grades are already in that can't be replaced. Use one of those grade calculators like this one to help you make your decision.
I also have until this Friday if I decide to drop or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I'm not confident about anything so I'm not sure. I just know how to do my flashcards. I have to write word from word and make sure to include the smallest of details. I also know that a C- is between a 60 and 64. My grades for the first two exams was a 40% and my second grade was a 57%. Taking the final would drop the 40% if I get a higher score on it. If I get an 80 on the next exam and final I would end with a C+ for the class. An 85 would be a B-.
If the only reason you were doing poorly on those exams is indeed because of not answering word for word then I do think you could reach an 80 or 85 assuming that you work well with flashcards.

A B or a B+ would be fine. B- is getting to the point that it's kind of hurting you. This is a post-bacc where you are aiming to demonstrate that you can handle the academic rigor of medical school, so I would imagine that you should always be aiming to get >90% on any exam.

As an aside, time to stop making excuses for performing poorly. You might think this is not a great teaching method, and you might even be right. Ultimately it doesn't matter--this is not going to be the last time you have a frustrating professor who has a teaching method that isn't ideal for you. Focus on what you can control, which is how much effort you put into your work.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
If the only reason you were doing poorly on those exams is indeed because of not answering word for word then I do think you could reach an 80 or 85 assuming that you work well with flashcards.
I calculated it and I just need to get at least an 82 on the next exam and final then the curve will bring me up to about a 95. This will give me a B. Any higher is a B+. I'm planning on working my ass off this month to make sure I get it.

Reactions: 1 user
A B or a B+ would be fine. B- is getting to the point that it's kind of hurting you. This is a post-bacc where you are aiming to demonstrate that you can handle the academic rigor of medical school, so I would imagine that you should always be aiming to get >90% on any exam.

As an aside, time to stop making excuses for performing poorly. You might think this is not a great teaching method, and you might even be right. Ultimately it doesn't matter--this is not going to be the last time you have a frustrating professor who has a teaching method that isn't ideal for you. Focus on what you can control, which is how much effort you put into your work.
Yeah, that's why I was unsure. I would hate dropping and I know it's on me as a student. I'm just going to study my ass off this month and use Anki to study the PowerPoint.

I don't have any advice, just can relate. Ended up getting a C+ in biochem in my post bacc, def hurt my GPA and was a frustrating course.

Hi all,

I got a C+ in one of my post-bacc courses which is extremely frustrating. I studied my ass off for this class for weeks. I graduated with a cGPA of 3.3 in May. I got A's in all my other courses except this one course. I haven't gotten anything below a B since my 1st year of college. Honestly, I'm extremely sad and stressed out because of this grade since it may just ruin my chances altogether. I'm considering whether to do a SMP at this point. I want to go to medical school. There's nothing I'd love more than being a doctor. Shadowing doctors have confirmed this. I'm aware there are other medical jobs I can get into but there's nothing I'd love as much as being a doctor. What should I do? Should I continue my post bacc and try to ace my next 2 semesters or do a SMP?

Hi all,

I got a C+ in one of my post-bacc courses which is extremely frustrating. I studied my ass off for this class for weeks. I graduated with a cGPA of 3.3 in May. I got A's in all my other courses except this one course. I haven't gotten anything below a B since my 1st year of college. Honestly, I'm extremely sad and stressed out because of this grade since it may just ruin my chances altogether. I'm considering whether to do a SMP at this point. I want to go to medical school. There's nothing I'd love more than being a doctor. Shadowing doctors have confirmed this. I'm aware there are other medical jobs I can get into but there's nothing I'd love as much as being a doctor. What should I do? Should I continue my post bacc and try to ace my next 2 semesters or do a SMP?
I have moved your post to your original thread here. I would recommend trying to do well over the next 2 semesters in the post-bacc.

What's your sGPA? In my opinion, you may be overreacting. Just stay on the PB path and keep pushing.

So I've spoken with two advisors who gave me conflicting advice on what to do about my situation. One recommended I do a SMP since he believes a year of post bacc then my second year doing a SMP would look best. The other advisor said she doesn't recommend doing a SMP even if I were to do really well in it and said I should just continue post bacc. I'm unsure what to do. I would need another 43 credits to get my cGPA to a 3.5. If I were to do a SMP, I wouldn't be able to focus on strengthening other parts of my application besides my GPA. By June I should have about 200-300 hours of clinical experience with no research experience. I'm not sure if that is good enough especially since I think having some research experience would be good on my application because of my GPA. I would be able to get that while doing a post bacc but not a SMP since the advisors both said it'll be hard to manage with a job.

What are your year by year GPA trends with hours taken? Your overall GPA does not suggest to me that a SMP is needed, but I need a sense of your GPA trends to see how your two advisors are coming up with conflicting advice.
Freshman year is 3.28 GPA with 40 credit hours taken. Sophomore year was 3.29 with 24 credit hours taken. Junior year was 3.67 with 30 credit hours taken. Senior year was 3.5 with 24 credit hours taken. I haven't taken the MCAT yet either so I'm not sure if I should wait on my score before deciding on what to do.