Currently work in the dental field.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biological23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm currently in progress with my BS degree and am looking to apply to dental school in the near future. I work as a dental assistant for a general dentist and was wondering how working with a dentist everyday affects the shadowing hours on the application? Do I actually need shadow hours when I work with a dentist everyday?
I wouldn't assume so.. But any info would be appreciated.
On a side note, while I was in dental assisting school I shadowed many different doctors; surgeons, endo, ortho and general.
I also volunteered at a free community dental clinic briefly assisting 3 different docs.

Members don't see this ad.

Shadowing = following the doctor around and observing procedures, not volunteering or working.

You would include the shadowing hours from when you were in dental assisting school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does not make sense to me. I would assume as a DA that you are gloved, gowned and masked with your hands in the patient's mouth actually in the field and seeing what is happening, as opposed to "shadowing" which is out of the field. Your experience is much greater, your knowledge of the procedures is much more, and I would not listen to the above advice. Your work experience is far more valuable than any shadowing, and any dentist on an admissions panel will know that.

Reactions: 1 user
Shadowing = following the doctor around and observing procedures, not volunteering or working.

You would include the shadowing hours from when you were in dental assisting school.

This is untrue. Shadowing envelopes all sorts of clinical observation, including directly working with the doctor and patient as the assistant.

I worked and volunteered as an assistant and placed all of those hours in my application under shadowing and no one batted an eye.

This is untrue. Shadowing envelopes all sorts of clinical observation, including directly working with the doctor and patient as the assistant.

I worked and volunteered as an assistant and placed all of those hours in my application under shadowing and no one batted an eye.

Seems I was mistaken — sorry about that, OP.

Okay. Setdoc7, that is what I had originally assumed but just wanted to bounce the idea off of some other folks in the same field. I appreciate the input.

Thanks, in that case I will do the same.