Curriculum: OCPM vs NYCPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smile786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I thought that it would be best if I ask current students about OCPM and NYCPM. I would like to know what is the grading system at both of these schools? Do you feel that your school's curriculum is more tough than other schools where your GPA can be in jeopardy? What is important when applying to residency? Last, how does your school contribute to residency placement? For example, if you are a graduate from one school, then its easier to be matched.

At my interview, I was told by Dean Lott that they guarantee a residency match. NYCPM mentions in their catalog that they don't make any promises. Does it matter?

I'm confused and help is what I need!!!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I thought that it would be best if I ask current students about OCPM and NYCPM. I would like to know what is the grading system at both of these schools? Do you feel that your school's curriculum is more tough than other schools where your GPA can be in jeopardy? What is important when applying to residency? Last, how does your school contribute to residency placement? For example, if you are a graduate from one school, then its easier to be matched.

At my interview, I was told by Dean Lott that they guarantee a residency match. NYCPM mentions in their catalog that they don't make any promises. Does it matter?

I'm confused and help is what I need!!!

Thank you!

That's kinda funny to hear. How are they gonna guarantee residency spots for all their students when there are less residency spots available than students graduating (ie a shortage)? Pretty bold statement...

That's kinda funny to hear. How are they gonna guarantee residency spots for all their students when there are less residency spots available than students graduating (ie a shortage)? Pretty bold statement...

Well, they do operate their own residency, which has 5 spots (I think) right now. Maybe they would just add more spots to it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, they do operate their own residency, which has 5 spots (I think) right now. Maybe they would just add more spots to it?

Not idea how "good" this residency is in the 1st place. 5 spots is pretty big for any pod residency though. However, adding spots is just going to dilute the number of patients available, create doubling or tripling up of residents on cases, etc. Doesn't seem like it would be too beneficial.

I would automatically distrust any Dean or high ranking faculty member who guarantee anything. Few things in life are guaranteed; taxes, death and laugther when thetachi walks in a room.

Yes its a bold statment to guarentee a match when the 2009 class-- all the students did not match but did place in the scramble. Yes the richmond heights program has five spots-- and i do not think they will add more because they wouldnt be approved for more ....

I dont think any school is any better than any other it all depends on what you want ... based on your lifestyle, family circumstances and how much your willing to give to attain success. I would place any students from any school on equal ground with each other if they study and work hard and dont slack off ..... every school has their strengths and their weakness etc

its all about checks and balances .....

Hmm, I guess so. Just too confusing to choose.

Yes its a bold statment to guarentee a match when the 2009 class-- all the students did not match but did place in the scramble. Yes the richmond heights program has five spots-- and i do not think they will add more because they wouldnt be approved for more ....

I dont think any school is any better than any other it all depends on what you want ... based on your lifestyle, family circumstances and how much your willing to give to attain success. I would place any students from any school on equal ground with each other if they study and work hard and dont slack off ..... every school has their strengths and their weakness etc

its all about checks and balances .....

Only 1 student did not match (in the end) in the whole class that I know of.... Not too bad of a record.

If you are considering going there, get the guarantee in writing:
A guarantee of total tuition + housing refund if you graduate and can't get a PM&S residency program spot that is fully approved by CPME.

I hope that a shortage of PM&S residency positions for DPM grads never occurs, but it's looking like there will be exactly that situation for at least the next few years. The schools with huge class sizes and low board pass rates clearly stand to be the hardest hit if a shortage does occur. If the OP's statements are valid, that is a pretty bold statement by the college, and you might want to see if they can back it up. IMO, the sorta reminds me of that CarFax commercial...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawjAsAWe_M[/YOUTUBE]

If you are considering going there, get the guarantee in writing:
A guarantee of total tuition + housing refund if you graduate and can't get a PM&S residency program spot that is fully approved by CPME.

I hope that a shortage of PM&S residency positions for DPM grads never occurs, but it's looking like there will be exactly that situation for at least the next few years. The schools with huge class sizes and low board pass rates clearly stand to be the hardest hit if a shortage does occur. If the OP's statements are valid, that is a pretty bold statement by the college, and you might want to see if they can back it up. IMO, the sorta reminds me of that CarFax commercial...

[YOUTUBE]kawjAsAWe_M[/YOUTUBE]

haha pretty funny! I thought this was the first year of the residency shortage (and it was not that many students). I heard from this point on it will get worse and worse. Maybe the ohio school dean will have to change her statement. I could see maybe a school like arizona with its small class (and high pass rates) , but saying that about ohio will four times the students is crazy bold

Only 1 student did not match (in the end) in the whole class that I know of.... Not too bad of a record.

To my understanding, everyone in my class of 2009 ended up with a program.

I can understand what everyone is saying here, but this is what I found on OCPM's website. (Go to Admissions --> FAQ)

Q. What is OCPM's rate of Residency placement?

OCPM boasts a 100% Residency placement for the past nineteen (19) consecutive years.

This statistic means each year the OCPM graduate has been adequately trained and highly desirable to hospital administrators in all areas of the country. The quality of national programs OCPM residents obtain are often the most highly sought after and respected.

We believe a great component of the successful outcomes in the OCPM podiatric medical education is in its national relevance to exceptional, quality medical treatment of the patient community in Residency and beyond.

You should do a little more research there cheech. Find out WHAT residencies these OCPM kiddies are getting, 2 year vs 3 year, etc. Maybe they can send you a residency placement sheet for the most recent graduates. Some schools post this on their websites, some don't.

And the rate of residency placement will not be 100% for these upcoming years. The residency shortage will get larger and larger and ohio has one bigas* class to graduate.

I would imagine that if all 125 kids made it through the program, there would be no chance for all of them to get spots. They are banking on kids to fail out along the way.

I can understand what everyone is saying here, but this is what I found on OCPM's website. (Go to Admissions --> FAQ)

Q. What is OCPM's rate of Residency placement?

OCPM boasts a 100% Residency placement for the past nineteen (19) consecutive years.

This statistic means each year the OCPM graduate has been adequately trained and highly desirable to hospital administrators in all areas of the country. The quality of national programs OCPM residents obtain are often the most highly sought after and respected.

We believe a great component of the successful outcomes in the OCPM podiatric medical education is in its national relevance to exceptional, quality medical treatment of the patient community in Residency and beyond.

Heres the Class of 2009 list
DVA – Central Alabama Healthcare System
DVA - Atlanta
OCPM/UH Richmond Heights Medical Center
Western Reserve Care System/Forum Health
Albert Einstein Medical Center
St. Luke's Hospital – Allentown Campus
Catholic Health/Sisters of Charity
Boston Medical Center
Medical Center of Beaver