CV Authorship ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WestcoastMedicine

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was involved in a large multicenter trial that has broken off into several manuscripts. Each manuscript has a core group of 3-5 authors who will be listed on the article, but they also submitted the names of all of the 20ish authors who spent several years collecting/analyzing data on each article. We all had to sign disclosure statements for financial reltationships etc....

How would I document this on my CV? Do I just write the names of the core 3-4 authors and not include my name...when they ask about it talk about my involvement? The group of authors that are not the core writers would be in no particular order so not sure how you would even list that...

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

This sounds to me like there is going to be a group author on the article. Here's an example: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20961243. There are ~20 named authors on the byline as well as the "PARTNER Trial Investigators", which include ~150 other people. In the last few years, Pubmed has starting allowing journals to list these other people as "collaborators" and has added their names to the Pubmed record.

In general, this status is in between being a named author and being acknowledged. Whether you should include these on your resume depends how many other papers you have and the job for which you're applying. If you have fewer than ~10 papers and are applying for a job where you're going to be doing clinical research, some people will include an "other research involvement" section where they list these sorts of things. Once you have enough authored papers, this section normally falls off the CV. An exception is for people who develop career as site PIs for multicenter trials, because this is a way of documenting particpation in studies in which they often don't make the authorship list.

I was involved in a large multicenter trial that has broken off into several manuscripts. Each manuscript has a core group of 3-5 authors who will be listed on the article, but they also submitted the names of all of the 20ish authors who spent several years collecting/analyzing data on each article. We all had to sign disclosure statements for financial reltationships etc....

How would I document this on my CV? Do I just write the names of the core 3-4 authors and not include my name...when they ask about it talk about my involvement? The group of authors that are not the core writers would be in no particular order so not sure how you would even list that...

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks

When you write your CV, at most institutions there is some generally accepted format to highlight your contribution (e.g., underlining, boldface font, etc). You would simply follow the same convention as in the PubMed entry, e.g., Smith, Gray, Ropes, and the PARTNER Trial Investigators.