CV Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spectreman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to finish up my CV for audition apps. I feel like I am adding too much and making it too long. Like adding all of my past work/volunteer/leadership junk. The samples you see online are just 1-2 pages. Should I just cut out all of the frivolous stuff on the CV and save it for ERAS? Or are the samples out there just short on purpose because they're just showing a format? Maybe just pick like the top 2 big leadership/volunteer junk?

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on your chosen specialty, many programs simply don't have enough time to read through thousands of audition apps. I always recommend prioritizing the "heavy hitters" on your CV that demonstrate your continued interest in that specific field. For example, if you are applying to Dermatology and have leadership and/or volunteer roles that are directly correlated to something in that field, I would keep that.

With all of your past work, volunteerism, and leadership experiences, how long is your current CV unedited?

Depending on your chosen specialty, many programs simply don't have enough time to read through thousands of audition apps. I always recommend prioritizing the "heavy hitters" on your CV that demonstrate your continued interest in that specific field. For example, if you are applying to Dermatology and have leadership and/or volunteer roles that are directly correlated to something in that field, I would keep that.

With all of your past work, volunteerism, and leadership experiences, how long is your current CV unedited?
Thank you for your reply! Right now I’m sitting at 5 pages, but I could certainly change the format to something more condensed. My audition apps are for gen surge, some of the volunteer and leadership stuff like more like student government type stuff. The work experiences are from before med school, but related to surgery. I could probably get it down to 2-3 pages if I trimmed junk and reformatted it, but my sister who is a professional editor turned it into a 12 page monstrosity. She said that’s normal in the professional world. To me that seems crazy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply! Right now I’m sitting at 5 pages, but I could certainly change the format to something more condensed. My audition apps are for gen surge, some of the volunteer and leadership stuff like more like student government type stuff. The work experiences are from before med school, but related to surgery. I could probably get it down to 2-3 pages if I trimmed junk and reformatted it, but my sister who is a professional editor turned it into a 12 page monstrosity. She said that’s normal in the professional world. To me that seems crazy.

I mean that’s pretty normal for people who have been working as a professional for a while and have research, accolades, multiple different jobs etc.

I feel like mine is fairly robust and I have 2ish pages.

Reactions: 1 user
Trying to finish up my CV for audition apps. I feel like I am adding too much and making it too long. Like adding all of my past work/volunteer/leadership junk. The samples you see online are just 1-2 pages. Should I just cut out all of the frivolous stuff on the CV and save it for ERAS? Or are the samples out there just short on purpose because they're just showing a format? Maybe just pick like the top 2 big leadership/volunteer junk?
2 pages max for a CV, should include your education and work experience and needs to look professional. If the fluff puts it over 2 pages it needs to be cut out.

Yeah she’s crazy, you better have a lot of first auth pubs to be going past 2 pages as a student.

Long form CV will be that long. Your CV for VSAS should only be 1-2 pages. It's truly a different target audience. I personally would keep both, but for VSAS only submit the 1-2 page one.