CVS supervisor position being eliminated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i've been told that the pharmacy supervisor for my store got fired, she's the one that e-mailed me a month ago to let me know that my pharmacy internship will be terminated on march 1st. it turns out that she has been terminated before i have been, a little ironic
What was their reason to terminate you?

Members don't see this ad.

my internship will be terminated because it has ran it's course and i wasn't offered full time employment. i think the other interns will be kicked out as well if they haven't been offered full time, not sure

Members don't see this ad :)
my internship will be terminated because it has ran it's course and i wasn't offered full time employment. i think the other interns will be kicked out as well if they haven't been offered full time, not sure
That's odd.

I didn't realize CVS did that. I mean, not hire their interns.
They flooded the Austin area with out of state new grads from TX, then from neighbouring states, then they packed whatever spots were left in the new grad meat grinder with ______ college of pharmacy new grads.

This area might be different.

Happened to me as well. But my situation was different yours.

Won’t be surprised if they fire pharmacists with bachelor degree

Won’t be surprised if they fire pharmacists with bachelor degree
Yep, all a bunch of scum bags. Worthless. Can never be as good as the all knowing new grads. I see your point.

Reactions: 2 users
More info to come out this week. Former DM’s and RxSups can slowly start to share what else is going on. Front store changes and what not.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep, all a bunch of scum bags. Worthless. Can never be as good as the all knowing new grads. I see your point.

It would actually be a brilliant move. If you suddenly require a bachelors, you can erase some of the highest earners without an ageism lawsuit. You could then replace them with cheaper, younger labor. And being that you are the medical insurer for your workers now, it would save you the cost of the medical plan of an older workforce.

Reactions: 6 users
It would actually be a brilliant move. If you suddenly require a bachelors, you can erase some of the highest earners without an ageism lawsuit. You could then replace them with cheaper, younger labor. And being that you are the medical insurer for your workers now, it would save you the cost of the medical plan of an older workforce.

Yes, I can understand what you are saying. However, this bar will keep getting lowered. Pretty soon the 40 year olds will be cast aside because your insurance will be more and the influx of new grads every year will make you less desirable. Can offer the new grads less money and perhaps no benefits at all. Maybe they will make everyone reapply for their job every couple of years. Will give them a legal way to get rid of the higher paid "older" pharmd's and higher the younger, cheaper, buried in debt new grads. 40 will become the new 60.

Yes, I can understand what you are saying. However, this bar will keep getting lowered. Pretty soon the 40 year olds will be cast aside because your insurance will be more and the influx of new grads every year will make you less desirable. Can offer the new grads less money and perhaps no benefits at all. Maybe they will make everyone reapply for their job every couple of years. Will give them a legal way to get rid of the higher paid "older" pharmd's and higher the younger, cheaper, buried in debt new grads. 40 will become the new 60.

You need a reason, though. If its majority older employees, a lawsuit will be incoming. Requiring a PharmD is a reason. Maybe they could require a residency or something in this hypothetical future...who knows....

This probably isn't going to happen, though, so don't get anxious.

Last edited:
Cvs could start offering residency positions and have residents as floaters or staff for 1-2 years. Why pay a rph 60/hr when you can pay resident 30/hr that is also a licensed pharmacist. .

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Cvs could start offering residency positions and have residents as floaters or staff for 1-2 years. Why pay a rph 60/hr when you can pay resident 30/hr that is also a licensed pharmacist. .

Hospitals figured out that calling it a "residency" could drastically cut costs on training years ago. It is sort of surprising that CVS hasn't figured out a way to pay $60,000 a year for the first few years as well.

Reactions: 6 users
Hospitals figured out that calling it a "residency" could drastically cut costs on training years ago. It is sort of surprising that CVS hasn't figured out a way to pay $60,000 a year for the first few years as well.
I don't think they want to meet ASHP requirements. It's a pretty big hassle.

I don't think they want to meet ASHP requirements. It's a pretty big hassle.

Lol.... One of the "good" Texas colleges of pharmac has a professor that did an unaccredited residency.

I had a classmate who did an unaccredited hospital residency bc she didn’t have a job... I think they exist
They do, but completing an unaccredited hospital residency is still going to improve your marketability to some extent. An unaccredited retail residency makes you look like a fool.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone have info on these “healthcare hubs” CVS-Aetna are planning?

They do, but completing an unaccredited hospital residency is still going to improve your marketability to some extent. An unaccredited retail residency makes you look like a fool.
CA board of Pharmacy got rid of required 600 required non school provided rotation hours (real work)for licensing... I think the right thing to do was to have people who didn’t work during their time in pharm school have to do a residency for licensing lol

You need a reason, though. If its majority older employees, a lawsuit will be incoming. Requiring a PharmD is a reason. Maybe they could require a residency or something in this hypothetical future...who knows....

This probably isn't going to happen, though, so don't get anxious.

Not anxious at all. To close to the end for me to care about that. I worked with a girl once who became a teacher. Went down south since could not find a job locally teaching. Has to sign a one or 2 year contract to teach. No unions, no promise of future employment. Reviewed every year. don't like you or found someone cuter, your gone. Pharmacy employers could do the same thing. would prevent the lawsuits for firing all the old pharms.
I am confused why so many people on here hate/dislike/lack respect for older pharmacists though. Very few new grads that I would want to partner with. I would take one with 20 plus years of experience any day. You may have fancier letters after your name but that's about all I have ever seen. New grads always tout their clinical knowledge. which is a good thing. Work retail on the bench for 10 or 20 or 40 years and tell me how much you use everyday. After 5 years in retail you will be able to quote the metrics you need to follow everyday to keep your job and paycheck rather than the clinical knowledge you learned but can't use. Oh, wait your going to prescribe also. I forgot. When pigs fly.

Not anxious at all. To close to the end for me to care about that. I worked with a girl once who became a teacher. Went down south since could not find a job locally teaching. Has to sign a one or 2 year contract to teach. No unions, no promise of future employment. Reviewed every year. don't like you or found someone cuter, your gone. Pharmacy employers could do the same thing. would prevent the lawsuits for firing all the old pharms.
I am confused why so many people on here hate/dislike/lack respect for older pharmacists though. Very few new grads that I would want to partner with. I would take one with 20 plus years of experience any day. You may have fancier letters after your name but that's about all I have ever seen. New grads always tout their clinical knowledge. which is a good thing. Work retail on the bench for 10 or 20 or 40 years and tell me how much you use everyday. After 5 years in retail you will be able to quote the metrics you need to follow everyday to keep your job and paycheck rather than the clinical knowledge you learned but can't use. Oh, wait your going to prescribe also. I forgot. When pigs fly.

Nobody said they dislike working with older pharmacists. Nor are they disagree with any of the stuff about using clinical knowledge. It just came up that this might be a good excuse for CVS to cut higher wage workers under the facade of requiring a more educated workforce.

How much more do older rphs make than new grads? Just curious since we do the same work.

How much more do older rphs make than new grads? Just curious since we do the same work.
My staff makes $71/ hour. Been in the company for 20+ years. Has 4 weeks vaca. In a medium volume store and has EE tech crew

Lol.... One of the "good" Texas colleges of pharmac has a professor that did an unaccredited residency.

Whats the current hierarchy of TX schools?
Have the UNT dfw grads been getting good reviews

My staff makes $71/ hour. Been in the company for 20+ years. Has 4 weeks vaca. In a medium volume store and has EE tech crew

May I ask where you are located. Nobody makes near that where I am at. Never heard of that high salary unless CA.

Whats the current hierarchy of TX schools?
Have the UNT dfw grads been getting good reviews
Opinion, and just based on PharmDs, not research and overall:

UT (Austin) and UH are a debatable tie as they both have their ups and downs and both very employable > Tech > UT Tyler, UNT > A&M and UIW >>> Texas Southern (I have a very low opinion of the school as it routinely gets into accreditation trouble, and administration is notably inept). UNT hasn't produced unacceptable candidates, but they are not enough classes out from founding to have a reputation either way.

I'm a health professional but not a pharmacist though my mom is. My mom's supervisor is trying to get rid of her in his last 2 weeks on the job by making her a floater. This guy has been a total jerk and has been teaming up with the RPh to get back at her. The RPH has manic depressive disorder most likely and the supervisor is just incompetent (he was in my mom's pharmacy class and graduated near the bottom ... says a lot about CVS). But they are both the same ethnicity … naked tribalism at work here. Her reviews were perfect before she started working with them.

This guy is trying to get revenge in his last 2 weeks and it's pathetic. Is there anything she can do?

I'm a health professional but not a pharmacist though my mom is. My mom's supervisor is trying to get rid of her in his last 2 weeks on the job by making her a floater. This guy has been a total jerk and has been teaming up with the RPh to get back at her. The RPH has manic depressive disorder most likely and the supervisor is just incompetent (he was in my mom's pharmacy class and graduated near the bottom ... says a lot about CVS). But they are both the same ethnicity … naked tribalism at work here. Her reviews were perfect before she started working with them.

This guy is trying to get revenge in his last 2 weeks and it's pathetic. Is there anything she can do?
Take a vacation

Opinion, and just based on PharmDs, not research and overall:

UT (Austin) and UH are a debatable tie as they both have their ups and downs and both very employable > Tech > UT Tyler, UNT > A&M and UIW >>> Texas Southern (I have a very low opinion of the school as it routinely gets into accreditation trouble, and administration is notably inept). UNT hasn't produced unacceptable candidates, but they are not enough classes out from founding to have a reputation either way.
UT's Pan Am satellite grads are below even TSU.

totally incompetent.

May I ask where you are located. Nobody makes near that where I am at. Never heard of that high salary unless CA.

That does seem high, but my hourly rate is just over $65 (non-CA) and I have been with CVS continuously for 7 years (though I have held overnight and PIC positions with 24-hr stores).

That does seem high, but my hourly rate is just over $65 (non-CA) and I have been with CVS continuously for 7 years (though I have held overnight and PIC positions with 24-hr stores).

Well let me ask you this. If you are with the red devil for 5 more years do you think you should get raises or increases in vacation? Do you think you should be rewarded for years of service? Maybe its best to stay at your current benefits so you are not one of those older pharms that make more per hour and have more vacation.

Well let me ask you this. If you are with the red devil for 5 more years do you think you should get raises or increases in vacation? Do you think you should be rewarded for years of service? Maybe its best to stay at your current benefits so you are not one of those older pharms that make more per hour and have more vacation.

I think it should be based on performance. There are some older pharmacists I have seen work twice as hard running register, drop-off, and answering phones, vs. some of the newer grads who refuse to do anything other than QT and QV.

I think it should be based on performance. There are some older pharmacists I have seen work twice as hard running register, drop-off, and answering phones, vs. some of the newer grads who refuse to do anything other than QT and QV.

And viceversa. The lazy will always be with us. Older, new grad, etc, all the same. If someone’s lazy, they’re lazy.

That works until you're 50, where "performance based reasons" is a common way to get rid of the older workers at the time when they need the $ most. It's kind of like how people see you when you're fat/obese, you could be the hardest working most intelligent pharmacist there, but it's hard to look past 10,000 years of evolution and assume on sight that the lean, muscular pharmacist is doing more of the actual work. It's a well-known problem in performance based management that isn't KPI based.

Why would a business want to keep older workers? They are more expensive overhead, are more likely to call out sick (not just for themselves but due to their kids too), health care costs more, they have twice as much vacation, but do the same amount of work. This isn't engineering where an experienced project manager can win more contracts for the company or medical where people travel all over the world to get surgery from prestigious surgeons. No one cares which rph fills their retail prescription, people just want their drugs and to leave ASAP.

Why would a business want to keep older workers? They are more expensive overhead, are more likely to call out sick (not just for themselves but due to their kids too), health care costs more, they have twice as much vacation, but do the same amount of work. This isn't engineering where an experienced project manager can win more contracts for the company or medical where people travel all over the world to get surgery from prestigious surgeons. No one cares which rph fills their retail prescription, people just want their drugs and to leave ASAP.
To avoid lawsuits.

Just wait until the axe starts swinging thru the hospitals. Gonna get ugly

What are entitlements?

U.S Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

Rumor I'm hearing.
These are all filthy lies that you are spreading and it's totally unfair. Just to enlighten you guys- they are not eliminating the position. They are merely combining the Supervisor and the dM position where one person will be over a smaller amount of stores. The talk about supervisors being fired/told to go back into stores/severance packages are ALL Filthy lies.

These are all filthy lies that you are spreading and it's totally unfair. Just to enlighten you guys- they are not eliminating the position. They are merely combining the Supervisor and the dM position where one person will be over a smaller amount of stores. The talk about supervisors being fired/told to go back into stores/severance packages are ALL Filthy lies.
...you just said the same thing with different words. Larry has trained you well.

Reactions: 7 users

Thanks for enlightening us. We now know they are not regular lies but "filthy" lies. That clears it up for me. May I have another glass of Kool-aid please.

Reactions: 5 users

It may not apply to this specific company or this position as much but there are benefits of keeping a stable, meaning low churn, workforce. Typically companies have to invest in among other things recruiting and training. There’s typically an understanding you won’t get full efficiency out of an employee until a bit after onboarding, meaning the firm isn’t operating at their highest potential.

That being said there are other ways businesses may benefit in high churn environments.

I guess each company probably wants to determine what’s best for them and if they want to change course be willing to accept (and afford) the investment required to actually make that change.

Could you do me a favor please. Print out your above posting and put it someplace safe. Perhaps your wallet, safe, china closet or anywhere it will be safe. In about 7 to 10 years when your life evolves with family, sickness etc and they come to terminate you please get it out and read it and see if you feel the same. There are so many things I would like to say about your post but I will let you say them in a few years.

Reactions: 5 users

Could you do me a favor please. Print out your above posting and put it someplace safe. Perhaps your wallet, safe, china closet or anywhere it will be safe. In about 7 to 10 years when your life evolves with family, sickness etc and they come to terminate you please get it out and read it and see if you feel the same. There are so many things I would like to say about your post but I will let you say them in a few years.

Or not. If you do get into management, it helps you sleep better at night when you think of stores as numbers rather than people. That said, one of the major reasons why decent people would never work for Revco and Rite Aid was that they were well-known in the pharmacy world for being a bunch of corrupt, embezzling dinguses (I have a story about Dworkin in Revco, and a couple of Grass stories from RiteAid involving how heavy is a million dollars actually) who took the fast money way out too many times such that they had a Mike Tyson Zone employment reputation in most areas they existed. If you really believe what you just wrote about older workers, then you'll be taking care of yourself when that day comes for you. It always does for us all, and the difference is the sort of resources you've built by that time and the connections that you have that determine whether or not you survive those annus horribilis.

I'm sorry if you took offense, I did not mean any. I'm just being real. I doubt my job will be around in 7-10 years, and neither should many of us here. I'm riding the gravy train for as long as possible and then will move on to the next profession when this one dries up. These fortune 500 companies couldn't care less if we have dependents or terminal illnesses. All they care about is the bottom line. When their profits are down and they see some Rphs making $70+/hr while new grads are making $5X/hr for the same work, what do you think they'll do? Don't take it personally. Every time they cut hours or make layoffs, it's a business decision not a personal one.

No job is secure these days, at least in the private sector. Everyone needs a backup plan. I expect to be laid off in the next few years. That's why my wife and I got a one-income mortgage. We have enough liquid assets to last 2 years if we both lose our jobs tomorrow. In my previous profession, I worked for a mid-size firm of 400+ employees. Everyone thought our jobs and profession were stable, but all of a sudden mass layoffs occurred. I then went to a big company which eventually acquired a mid-size company. They consolidated upper/middle management divisions, and a few months later mass layoffs occurred. That is the same thing that is happening with CVS/Aetna now. This is nothing new or surprising, it's just business. My Dad was laid off as an upper manager in his mid-50s and no company would hire someone that age. Luckily, he saw it coming, prepared, started his own business and kept his same lifestyle until retirement.

So yes, I believe I will feel the same when I lose my Rph job. We just have to prepare the best we can for that day.

Unless “a smaller amount of stores” is “half the amount of stores” people are losing jobs. Do you know the size of the new districts? Because I think it’s about a 30% reduction.