CVS supervisor position being eliminated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are changes to Supervisor role done yet?
I don’t think this happens until next year.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
January I bet.
Myschedule cut a lot of hours. A lot of stores running pretty thin, most people also have a new boss whether its a new District leader or a regional leader which means the new guys always stricter with Payroll.

Reactions: 1 user
So...who else's pharmacy has devolved into a complete dumpster fire since the big change?

Lost close to a 100 hours a week. Store went from being top in the district metrics wise to a constant ****show of red.

Reactions: 3 users
They have hours cut to the point where the work really just can't get done. It simply isn't possible with what we've been given. I kept putting off RTSs to the point where I had an absurd 3-shopping-basket pile of vials. I haven't gotten Readyfills done before they've gone red not once this week. And I'm pretty damn fast. Friday night, I got the previous nights' Readyfills done maybe an hour before I left. 16 pages of mixed red and that night's Readyfills not even looked at when I left for the poor day shifters to try to drain the ocean. And we are using all of the hours they are giving us. People aren't calling out sick. They have just cut beyond the red line of what is needed to accomplish what they are asking of us. 3300 scripts last week and we are getting 200 tech hours this upcoming week. Absurdity.

Reactions: 6 users
They have hours cut to the point where the work really just can't get done. It simply isn't possible with what we've been given. I kept putting off RTSs to the point where I had an absurd 3-shopping-basket pile of vials. I haven't gotten Readyfills done before they've gone red not once this week. And I'm pretty damn fast. Friday night, I got the previous nights' Readyfills done maybe an hour before I left. 16 pages of mixed red and that night's Readyfills not even looked at when I left for the poor day shifters to try to drain the ocean. And we are using all of the hours they are giving us. People aren't calling out sick. They have just cut beyond the red line of what is needed to accomplish what they are asking of us. 3300 scripts last week and we are getting 200 tech hours this upcoming week. Absurdity.

Is it just me or we are not seeing a cut in hours?

Amen. This is exactly why I am glad I finally was able to get out of CVS after working there nearly 6 years as a pharmacist. I honestly don't know why CVS even bothers doing the annual engagement survey's because its clear management pays no attention to them.

Reactions: 4 users
Yep.. It's been a complete joke all week with a sea of reds and irate customers farther than the eye can see.

Members don't see this ad :)
1700-1800 scripts here (including controls). Myschedule for last week of January gave me 75 tech hours! Rest of these weeks I've been going over 10-20 hours a week. IDGAF

1700-1800 scripts here (including controls). Myschedule for last week of January gave me 75 tech hours! Rest of these weeks I've been going over 10-20 hours a week. IDGAF

I can't believe people are just accepting this kind of stuff and not going on strike.

Reactions: 4 users
I can't believe people are just accepting this kind of stuff and not going on strike.

Too many new grads that are slaves to student loans and the remaining pharmacists suffering from stockholm syndrome to CVS corporate.

Reactions: 3 users
Clearly the company is banking on newly demoted DMs/RXsups to make up the difference in productivity. Also those people know the workflow model better than anyone.

or

They are cutting hours to compensate for higher, even after adjustments, salaries of those people.

Too many new grads that are slaves to student loans and the remaining pharmacists suffering from stockholm syndrome to CVS corporate.

New grads stuck paying their loans from idealist pharmacy schools.

The rest of us stuck with nowhere else to jump ship to.

You're going to need at least 130-140 tech hours minimum for that volume. Go over if you have to. Take a write up if you have to.

My employer is on the verge of going bankrupt but atleast for the time being I get 1 tech hour per 10 scripts...

That is absurd. I got cut to 240s in December for that number of scripts but they bumped me back up in January to lower 300s. I'm sorry they cut you guys so bad there. Did you check the green sheets to see if they bump back up anytime soon?

What the flying ****? I do only 300 scripts a week and I get 45 tech hours.

75 tech hours? what can you even get done with that? The phone is still going to ring. People are still going to come up to the counter to ask nonsense that has nothing to do with the pharmacy. That's bad. Sorry to hear it's gotten to that point.

Four years ago when I worked at a crazy busy CVS and never had enough hours to get the job done I could not understand how there were people saying how great it was to work there. At the time we were doing 2800 scripts with 120 tech hours. About one out of every six scripts was a C2. Taking into account the C2s, which were done by the pharmacist, I believe we had 1 tech hour for every 19-20 non C2 prescriptions. Now when I see people complain about how bad it is at their location with a 1 tech hour for every 16 or so prescriptions (not subtracting C2s so even better ratio) I finally hear them saying how bad it is. Based on those hours they are still getting more tech help, although the 75 hours of tech help per 1800 scripts is more on target to what my store did back then, so that would be a good comparison. I think my PS allotted hours so that there were a few stores dealing with massive understaffing and most of his stores were staffed well enough to do good. This allowed him to look effective vs. having all hours equally divided and all stores doing average, thereby making him look average. Now they have done so many cuts that a lot of the stores that use to be calm, nice stores, are feeling the pinch finally. What can you cut once you have cut everything to the bone?

Last edited:
I remember the cvs techs belonged to an union. I'm surprised if the union stores are getting cuts too. I knew a few union techs that would complain to the union if they ever got less than 40 hours a week.

In the past (circa 2013-2014) I've seen 180 tech hours for 3200 Rx/week (24 hour store with no drive-thru, 10% loss of Rx volume, a ScriptPro) and in my own store in the same district I had 250+ hours for 2600-2800 sold Rx (13-hour store, no automation, 10% CIIs, >10% increase in Rx volume).

How do they come up with this ****... my previous working assumption is you get dicked if you don't have a drive-thru and are a 24 hour store because it is expected that the overnight RPH handle all the ReadyFills and other housekeeping tasks

Just a random question here, but could it be that they are reducing tech hours so excessively because they're planning on citing pharmacists' failure to fulfill metric goals/criteria as justification for firing pharmacists and replacing them with new grads who will work for less?

Just a random question here, but could it be that they are reducing tech hours so excessively because they're planning on citing pharmacists' failure to fulfill metric goals/criteria as justification for firing pharmacists and replacing them with new grads who will work for less?

While this would be sneaky genius, I really doubt this is what they're doing. Just like I don't think they drove down MAC pricing so excessively low in order to buy out their competition. I think it's just sheer short term greed not caring about long term repercussions.

Reactions: 6 users
75 tech hours for that volume is borderline criminal, i work for a diff company with slightly higher numbers and my tech hours are almost 3 times that. I suggest dont answer the phones, but damn you cant do anything with that little tech help.

Yeah I call BS. Did you beat your budget by 50%? CVS is ridiculous but 75 hours for 1300 is undoable. Are half your scripts controls? CVS supposedly doesn't count controls for your tech budget (although I never understood how that could be possible).

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I call BS. Did you beat your budget by 50%? CVS is ridiculous but 75 hours for 1300 is undoable. Are half your scripts controls? CVS supposedly doesn't count controls for your tech budget (although I never understood how that could be possible).

It is undoable (and arguably unconscionable), but until there's enough failures as the Boards are toothless in these affairs, what's stopping CVS? What the pharmacy can do is just sigh and deliver the best that they can which means no phones, blasted metrics, pissed people. And when you get fired for it, you would have grounds before the Labor Board to contest an untenable situation (that's how the situation got under control in archconservative AZ).

Probably not.

I had a few suggestions that could potentially help but the problem is that if you get more efficient and get the stuff done with 75 tech hours, then soon they’ll shoot for 65 hours.

One thing that can really improve your workflow is to make it a point to switch every prescription written for a 30 day supply and 11 refills, to 90 day supply x 3 refills. If that means sending a fax to the prescriber, calling, whatever, setting up that patient for 3 visits to your pharmacy instead of 11 can really set you up for success. It will take time and commitment from your techs but it can be done. Do it enough and continue to go over by 20 hours and you’ll be ok.

In the past (circa 2013-2014) I've seen 180 tech hours for 3200 Rx/week (24 hour store with no drive-thru, 10% loss of Rx volume, a ScriptPro) and in my own store in the same district I had 250+ hours for 2600-2800 sold Rx (13-hour store, no automation, 10% CIIs, >10% increase in Rx volume).

How do they come up with this ****... my previous working assumption is you get dicked if you don't have a drive-thru and are a 24 hour store because it is expected that the overnight RPH handle all the ReadyFills and other housekeeping tasks
It's insane. My district has been getting slammed the last two months, every since November where they randomly cut hours. We haven't been able to regroup since. I mean this week alone, after coming off a 3,600 script week, we have allocated 401 total hours, 139 for the pharmacists. 262 tech hours for a good volumed store and a drive-thru. Good joke. And the boss is no nonsense so the minute you go over hours it's a write up.

Controls are not counted but 90 day supply rx counts as 3 scripts.

Controls are not counted but 90 day supply rx counts as 3 scripts.

Does that mean making everything 90 day supply increases tech hours? Would anyone get mad if we did this, besides a few customers who prefer 30 day supply?

I had a few suggestions that could potentially help but the problem is that if you get more efficient and get the stuff done with 75 tech hours, then soon they’ll shoot for 65 hours.

One thing that can really improve your workflow is to make it a point to switch every prescription written for a 30 day supply and 11 refills, to 90 day supply x 3 refills. If that means sending a fax to the prescriber, calling, whatever, setting up that patient for 3 visits to your pharmacy instead of 11 can really set you up for success. It will take time and commitment from your techs but it can be done. Do it enough and continue to go over by 20 hours and you’ll be ok.

CVS is monitoring that so it's mandatory you guys do this anyways. The point is 75 tech hours on that volume is unheard of. Making every script 90 days would not help at all in this situation.

That's 23-24 scripts per tech hours. That's criminal.

Does that mean making everything 90 day supply increases tech hours? Would anyone get mad if we did this, besides a few customers who prefer 30 day supply?

Well you ask them. CVS is pushing this hard. It's a metric now. On your "actual" script count, it will count as 3 scripts, although on your daily count it will count as 1. But yes, doing more 90 day supply scripts will increase your script count (or so they say). But like script sync, doing this will help. I would advise your team doing this (customers come every 3 months, less phone calls, less issuess, less rushes...)

wow, after reading this i'm happy that cvs didn't offer me full time after graduation, being a pharmacist at CVS seems like a real ****show

I didn't see that was the case when I worked for them. There was a stretch where we had to make constant phone calls to get people to convert to a 90-day supply and tech hours were not increased during that time. All it did was provide better reimbursement for the company.

I can DM you the actual demand hours and our budget. This is no BS. 162 total hours-87 RPH hours=75. Last week in Jan. Rest of the weeks hover around 80-100 hours. For a store volume of >1300.

You brought up a good point with tech hours used LYTD. We have been consistently beaten budgeted tech hours last year due to people not wanting to work in CVS and hiring issues in a HCOL area. So maybe the ****s decided you don't need hours then? But we have consistently had a growing script count over budget. The few among this area. And the budget of 1300 does not include controls. If we did, probably talking upwards of 15-1800.

And per our DL (lol), we have to schedule accordingly to demand hours.

Last edited:
Myschedule cut a lot of hours. A lot of stores running pretty thin, most people also have a new boss whether its a new District leader or a regional leader which means the new guys always stricter with Payroll.

I'm noticing that we don't have enough hours allotted to even cover what the optimization says. Has anyone heard anything from dms about not meeting metrics etc? I haven't heard anything other than my store is probably going to be a challenge store because we can't get prescriptions out on time.

I'm noticing that we don't have enough hours allotted to even cover what the optimization says. Has anyone heard anything from dms about not meeting metrics etc? I haven't heard anything other than my store is probably going to be a challenge store because we can't get prescriptions out on time.
That shouldn't have anything to do with being a challenge store. WeCare is gone and that's the only metric that timed getting prescriptions out on time

This sounds like it may work but with so little tech help, whos gonna do the work? Haha i can barely get 6 day calls and pcqs done, i aint about to make more calls to covert scripts to 90 days. Lol

That shouldn't have anything to do with being a challenge store. WeCare is gone and that's the only metric that timed getting prescriptions out on time

They say wecare is gone... but is it really? My pic doesnt think so and hes still wanting us to fill on time. Haha apparently once a metric is put in place, its never really gone gone.

This sounds like it may work but with so little tech help, whos gonna do the work? Haha i can barely get 6 day calls and pcqs done, i aint about to make more calls to covert scripts to 90 days. Lol
Stay and work off the clock after hours.