CWRU secondary essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HUMU

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just received secondary from CWRU. The essay question says to write about something other than medicine that is of particular interest.
My question is this: should i simply write about a hobby such as photography, cycling, etc... or be more intellectual and write about the balkan perspective on the kosovo conflict (only an example) and risk sounding extremely nerdy?

Do they want to know i have a life outside of academics or would they like me to show i am knowledgeable beyond medical topics.

Thanks for the help!

Humu

Members don't see this ad.

do you think that your perspecitve on the kosovo conflict lets ad coms know anything about you???

what interests you? aside from medicine, what sparks your passion? if there is "one" thing that you take time to do (i.e. make time to do it in your schedule) what would that be? If I was an ad com, I'd much rather hear about your love of photography than your perspective on Kosovo.

That's just my two cents.
PS: I am writing about a cook book that I started a year ago.

Do they want to know i have a life outside of academics or would they like me to show i am knowledgeable beyond medical topics?

I think the answer to both of these questions is "yes." Write about something that's significant to you. This could be your perspective on Kosovo (have you ever been there? are you involved with any groups working there?), or it could be a hobby.

The point is to transform your paper application into a real person in the minds of the admissions committee. Writing a vivid essay about something that you're passionate about, or even really curious about, will do that.

Look at http://www.accepted.com/medical/secondaryessay.aspx for some more specific tips.

Good luck!

I wrote about long distance running.

Luckily, my interviewer was also a runner. We had ran a few of the same road races, which gave us a lot to chat about.

I think it is your opportunity to show that you have examined what is important to you and have developed interests other than getting into school. It was a pain to write though. I remember wondering if it was just silly to write about running and if they would think it wasn't academic enough.

If you are personally invested in the kosovo conflict, or some other recent event, maybe that would be important, but I think writing about a hobby/activity could also demonstrate your communication skills and your varied interests.

Just my thoughts.

Good Luck!

PCL
CWRU- MSII