D.O. and Orthopaedics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shanet74

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of applying to medical school, and strongly believe in the D.O. philosophy, however, I've heard many downsides when it comes to residencies. I'm particulary interested in orthopaedics. I've heard that this is actually a field where D.O.'s are not hindered. Just wondering if anyone else knows anything about the chances of D.O.'s getting residencies in orthopaedics.

Members don't see this ad.

Search back a little as this subject came up last year. One of the responces was from a kid who had multiple DO/orthopods in his family.

This is something that I too am interested in, so I have done a little research. First, the DO's have their own ortho residencies and although not many, they did have a spot go unfilled last year. Second, your board scores are what really determines the othro residency of your choice. As a DO you can apply to the MD residencies and DO residencies. Where you end up is decided by many things and which medical school you attended is just one of many factor .

Good luck. And I HIGHLY recommned reading the book: GETTING INTO A RESIDENCY By Iserson. You will read it eventually as you scramble to apply to your choice residency, so save yourself the headache and do it now.