D.O. ENT Questions

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Richard, Apr 7, 2001.

1. Richard

Richard Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm currently in the process of setting up my ENT rotation for July and was wondering if I could get some assistance in answering a few of my questions. I know how competitive ENT residencies are and with only 17 DO ENT slots available I know the competition is probably heavy but what can I do to increase my chances of getting a special track internship and ENT residency? I know that I'm not the worst applicant out there but I also know that I'm a long ways from being the best. Here is a little portion of my CV: GPA (3.6), Board scores above average but not stellar, honors in 6/7 rotations thus far (came close in Psych but it was Psych...), DO honor society (sigma sigma phi), extracurriculars..., worked PT throughout medical school (Radiology Tech and as a medical asst.), I also have a 2 week rotation with an MD ENT scheduled after my DO ENT rotation (Faculty at Emory who will write me a good letter since I once worked for him), and NO RESEARCH. Any suggestions on what I can do? I have yet to meet anyone at my school pursuing an Osteopathic ENT program and the school administration keeps me going in circles without helping me answer any of my questions. Any suggestions that anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

RAM

2. I might have some useful info, but need to know what school your graduating from!
    Josh

3. drchrislareau

drchrislareau Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm not a surgeon, but here is how I got a radiology residency. It may be analagous to your situation.

In my fourth year (in December) I snagged a rotation at a top 10 radiology department. They looked at me like I had two heads when I suggested I might want to be a resident there. However, my preceptor there took pity on me and gave me honors which I earned.

Then I scheduled another radiology rotation at an another ACGME accredited department which was friendlier to D.O.'s. I asked the residents there what I had to do to get into radiology there. They told me to talk to the residency head. I did. He interviewed me on the spot while I was still a medical student.

During my internship year I got a phone call out of the blue asking me to start there.

Find out who makes the decision and take your case right to him or her in person. You appear to be a "top" D.O. so you shouldn't have any problem as long as the program is willing to accept D.O.'s.

4. TheThroat

TheThroat SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Here's the deal. You need research to be a competitive ENT applicant. Call local MD's and DO's and try to get anything that qualifies, be it clinical or basic science stuff. Interviewers asked me a number of times about the research I did.