D.O. INTERNATIONAL question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ping1050

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read the 'sticky' thread regarding D.O. practicing and licensing for international countries. It definitely seems like a tough issue. However, I want to become a DO and wish to involve myself in medical mission trips internationally(dont know where yet). I am not really planning on specializing and instead sticking with primary care. Is there anyway that I can graduate from MSUCOM and practice under the title of MD/DO internationally (i.e. by taking the USMLE)? If i decided to specialize and took on an allopath residency would this certify me? Much thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The licensing examination that you take does not change the degree that you earn. If you earn a DO, you are a DO. You can take the USMLE or the COMLEX to be licensed; however it is debatable whether either will give you an advantage for getting into a competitive allopathic residency. Just as the licensing exam you take doesn’t change your degree, neither will your board certification upon completion of an allopathic or osteopathic residency.
The list you refer to on the sticky is for getting licensed to practice medicine in those countries, most of the time medical missions are to developing and poor countries that welcome the temporary help and do not restrict you from doing so. Proof of this is the fact that Doctors without Borders takes DOs for service.
Good luck