D.O/Ph.D?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Espadaleader

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a discussion with my Pre-Med administrator and "D.O./Ph.D" came up. D.O.'s are treated equally here, but are not abroad or with restrictions. I'm guessing M.D./Ph.D will give an elite researcher a more competitive edge in his/her professional community v. D.O./Ph.D. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I had a discussion with my Pre-Med administrator and "D.O./Ph.D" came up. D.O.'s are treated equally here, but are not abroad or with restrictions. I'm guessing M.D./Ph.D will give an elite researcher a more competitive edge in his/her professional community v. D.O./Ph.D. What do you guys think?

Phd is all about institution, are there even joint programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
DO/PhD doesn't make sense. DO programs don't emphasize evidence based research as much as MD schools. It sort of one of the supposed "differences" between the schools.

If you're at all planning an ACADEMIC career in medicine, particularly the basic sciences, I would strongly urge you to go to a MD school. I'd imagine few DO schools even offer PhD programs to begin with.

DO/PhD doesn't make sense. DO programs don't emphasize evidence based research as much as MD schools. It sort of one of the supposed "differences" between the schools.

If you're at all planning an ACADEMIC career in medicine, particularly the basic sciences, I would strongly urge you to go to a MD school. I'd imagine few DO schools even offer PhD programs to begin with.
Okay, they do offer PhDs for DOs. But it's not the same research as MD. Just like Nurses can do research, too, it's just not the same as ours. You guys need to step outside and realize that research isn't primary restricted to our practices. I mean, where the hell do you think they get the articles from nursing journals?

Finally. The D.O. degree limits possibilities. They're some joint programs, very few. The M.D. does not equal D.O. on this fact alone.

Finally. The D.O. degree limits possibilities. They're some joint programs, very few. The M.D. does not equal D.O. on this fact alone.
Okay, but realize this - only few people pursue MD/PhDs and the benfits are not necessarily great. Also, goodluck getting into an MD/PhD. That's a terrible comparison/reason to say screw DO.

Is this the end of the debate? M.D. has gained the lead. No, there was no debate to begin with.

Do a search on the topic in the physician-scientist forum. Short answer, in terms of the PhD, osteopathic schools do not have the depth or quality of research that allopathic schools have, and DO, PhD do not offer full stipends and tuition waivers like most MD, PhD programs

Members don't see this ad :)
As others have said, there are a number of DO schools that offer a PhD. As to the depth of the research, I'd look at the schools that offer both DO and MD -- MSUCOM and UMDNJ -- because they have their MD counterpart that does research as well.

Keep trollin trollin trollin, What? Keep trollin trollin trollin, What?

Maybe you should follow your own stolen sig's advice and stop being a total *****. What two letters come after your last name? None? OK, that's what I thought.

You can cut it out with the entitlement attitude right now, unless you want your stay on SDN to be a short one.

Do a search on the topic in the physician-scientist forum. Short answer, in terms of the PhD, osteopathic schools do not have the depth or quality of research that allopathic schools have, and DO, PhD do not offer full stipends and tuition waivers like most MD, PhD programs[/QUOT

Why don't they have the quality of research?

Do a search on the topic in the physician-scientist forum. Short answer, in terms of the PhD, osteopathic schools do not have the depth or quality of research that allopathic schools have, and DO, PhD do not offer full stipends and tuition waivers like most MD, PhD programs[/QUOT

Why don't they have the quality of research?

Well basically DO schools are primarily clinically interested and newer. It's similar to the Psy.D's in the psychology world. They spend less time doing research.
Simply being said if your interested in research an US MD is your best choice. Not to say that there aren't DO's with strong research and being tenured in some medical schools. It's simply a lot easier to go into research as a MD. However if your just interested in being a doctor and treating people, then it doesn't matter.

Btw this is directed to sword boy.

The main drawbacks to DO/PhD programs are that most aren't fully funded and the PhD usually isn't from a strong research institution. The higher cost and lower quality of research (unlike for medical school, where you get your PhD from really matters) make it not a practical option.

Last edited:
It is kind of like a smaller private school versus a larger research focused state school. My ochem class was very qualitative as I go to a smaller private school. If you had the wrong answer, no big deal, you went through the motions. My school got very little money from grants or state etc to fund research. Many (but not all) DO schools are small private schools.

Well basically DO schools are primarily clinically interested and newer. It's similar to the Psy.D's in the psychology world. They spend less time doing research.
Simply being said if your interested in research an US MD is your best choice. Not to say that there aren't DO's with strong research and being tenured in some medical schools. It's simply a lot easier to go into research as a MD. However if your just interested in being a doctor and treating people, then it doesn't matter.

Btw this is directed to sword boy.

I strongly suggest you look at the schools offering the DO/PhD before making a generalized statement as if it's Touro or RVU giving out an online PhD. The schools offering PhDs are well, well established with undergrad and grad programs rather than stand-alone DO schools with a graduate component. As far as the PsyD comparison, a PsyD is clinicaly equal to the PhD but the two are rather different degrees. The comparison with that and the MD/DO fails because neither one is a research degree.

i wouldnt do a md/phd program (or any slash phd program) if i didnt get full tuition waived, health insurance, and a stipend that you would be able to save at least 1/3rd of (which means i wouldnt do one in any big/expensive cities)

I strongly suggest you look at the schools offering the DO/PhD before making a generalized statement as if it's Touro or RVU giving out an online PhD. The schools offering PhDs are well, well established with undergrad and grad programs rather than stand-alone DO schools with a graduate component. As far as the PsyD comparison, a PsyD is clinicaly equal to the PhD but the two are rather different degrees. The comparison with that and the MD/DO fails because neither one is a research degree.

Hmm this is quite true. After this convo I went and did a little research on some DO/PhD programs. There are a few that are pretty strong but there are very few that can actually compete with research giants.

Hmm this is quite true. After this convo I went and did a little research on some DO/PhD programs. There are a few that are pretty strong but there are very few that can actually compete with research giants.

But you must also ask if places like Missouri-Columbia or University of Nevada in Reno compete with these 'research giants'. If the OP has the kind of resume to land an MSTP scholarship at a "research giant" like Harvard or UCSF, he/she wouldn't be starting a DO/PhD thread. Also, the PhD portion is funded with a stipend (but not the DO portion. This is also true of many MD/PhD programs that aren't at these academic powerhouses.

Last edited:
From what I know about the one DO/PhD student I know going to MSUCOM there's more flexibility in choosing the PhD aspect of the dual degree. ie DO/PhD in Physics or whatever you want it to be provided you're accepted to the PhD program as part of a dual degree.

excuse me sir. you are incorrect. ebm is the STANDARD OF CARE today. therefor ALL medical schools teach it.

From what I know about the one DO/PhD student I know going to MSUCOM there's more flexibility in choosing the PhD aspect of the dual degree. ie DO/PhD in Physics or whatever you want it to be provided you're accepted to the PhD program as part of a dual degree.

is he getting tuition waived (or/and) a stipend during medical school?