D.O. Psychiatrist in Support of Psychologist RxP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PsychEval said:

I have always liked Osteopathic Physicians. Their philosophy of treating the whole person seems to be a good fit with Clinical Psychology.

Ah, shucks :p

What is the status of RxP in your state?

Members don't see this ad :)
PublicHealth said:
Ah, shucks :p

What is the status of RxP in your state?

People are getting organized and motivated. But RxP is a slow process, have you ever been in a meeting with 10 psychologists?

So are you saying you attend an osteopathic medical school?

PsychEval said:
People are getting organized and motivated. But RxP is a slow process, have you ever been in a meeting with 10 psychologists?

So are you saying you attend an osteopathic medical school?

2nd year, NY-COM. Cool.

Do you think OMT has a place within the field of psychiatry? Obviously, patients would have to be selected carefully. I am thinking along the lines of co-morbid depression/anxiety with chronic pain. It seems like I read an article on this in one of the AOA journals. Interesting stuff.

PsychEval said:
2nd year, NY-COM. Cool.

Do you think OMT has a place within the field of psychiatry? Obviously, patients would have to be selected carefully. I am thinking along the lines of co-morbid depression/anxiety with chronic pain. It seems like I read an article on this in one of the AOA journals. Interesting stuff.

Yeah, probably. It makes theoretical sense when you think about physiologic feedback. Data is lacking, though. It's probably nothing more than a placebo effect akin to the effects of acupuncture, exercise, spinal manipulation, etc. Most people in DO schools have zero interest in OMT and psychiatry is not very popular either. The fact that people in the field are thinking about applying OMT in psychiatry is intriguing, but there is desperate need for more research in this area.

I have also noticed an increasing interest in incorporating exercise into psychiatric settings. Finally, people are realizing that physical health is associated with better mental and cognitive health! This area of inquiry underscores the need for more collaborative research and clinical work among healthcare professionals. This will be increasingly important as the "boomers" age.