D.O. "Pyramid" Programs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bla_3x

Grip it and rip it!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came upon this in a panel discussion this year regarding DO Ortho residencies.
Is this True? Meaning, that once your a pgyI, you are competing with your fellow residents/interns for a pgyII spot, then III spot and so on?
If this is still true, why are they doing it this way? It seems so shady. Do other, allo, programs do it this way?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I originally posted this reply in the DO applying for MD ortho thread.
"Traditionally in the past none of these programs were linked and they would take as many interns who were interested in getting a PGY2 spot. So what you would end up with is 8-10 interns competing for 2-3 PGY2 spots. Once they landed a PGY2, they finished out the remainder of the residency. Those that didn't land a spot were forced to pick a residency in a different specialty.

Now, about 4-5 years ago some of the less popular programs decided to link the internship with the residency, meaning that if you landed the internship you would go on to the PGY2 spot w/o fear of someone else taking it (basically the same as the MD programs). The reason that the less popular programs did this was to attract better candidates from the more popular programs. Over the next couple of years, this forced more programs to link b/c the quality of their applicants was going down. Currently, about 20 of the 29 programs are "linked" and every year more programs end up "linking".

Matching ortho, whether its allopathic or osteopathic, is a very difficult task b/c there are many more applicants than spots. The reality is that many people are turned away and have to choose another profession."

The only thing that I would add is that the programs that aren't linked only weed out the interns. Once you hit pgy2 there is no competition with other residents to make it to pgy3 and so forth. Hope this helps.