D.O.s in specialties.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Even at DO schools with low averages?

Your comment is borderline dismissive. Lower GPA and USMLE/COMLEX scores do not necessarily mean that a candidate is a weak candidate for a residency. The other factors in the application can play a very important role. In EM for example, audition rotations and SLOEs are all more important than the boards.

Lower scores don't do you any favors but a bad audition rotation or SLOE is exceedingly problematic.

Members don't see this ad.

Your comment is borderline dismissive. Lower GPA and USMLE/COMLEX scores do not necessarily mean that a candidate is a weak candidate for a residency. The other factors in the application can play a very important role. In EM for example, audition rotations and SLOEs are all more important than the boards.

Lower scores don't do you any favors but a bad audition rotation or SLOE is exceedingly problematic.
But don't you think there will probably be a big difference in how qualified TCOM students are compared to say, LUCOM?

But don't you think there will probably be a big difference in how qualified TCOM students are compared to say, LUCOM?

When it comes to ACGME, there isn't. Even for AOA, it's the quality of the candidate overall. There are DO schools with high average MCAT and GPA but I do not believe those students have a significant advantage over statistically "weaker" schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
When it comes to ACGME, there isn't. Even for AOA, it's the quality of the candidate overall. There are DO schools with high average MCAT and GPA but I do not believe those students have a significant advantage over statistically "weaker" schools.

i disagree. it is hard to support either stand point (whether it does or does not matter which DO school you attend in the eyes of ACGME PDs). hearing talks from ACGME PDs has shaped my opinion. there are even some university hospitals that only allow DO students from certain schools to rotate.

i disagree. it is hard to support either stand point (whether it does or does not matter which DO school you attend in the eyes of ACGME PDs). hearing talks from ACGME PDs has shaped my opinion. there are even some university hospitals that only allow DO students from certain schools to rotate.

It's hard to support either stand point because they are generalizations that I made but have been the pattern in the past. Things are changing and I've addressed this earlier. There are ACGME PDs that have extensive knowledge of DO schools and there are some who have no idea about anything DO.

Also, these are PDs from what specialty? And are these university hospitals biased because of school status or because they are affiliated?

It's hard to support either stand point because they are generalizations that I made but have been the pattern in the past. Things are changing and I've addressed this earlier. There are ACGME PDs that have extensive knowledge of DO schools and there are some who have no idea about anything DO.

Also, these are PDs from what specialty? And are these university hospitals biased because of school status or because they are affiliated?
a couple of ACGME general surgery PDs of some community hospitals in the area. messages were along the lines of, "we used to be hesitant of accepting DO students into our program given the need to serve allopathic schools, but after reviewing X-west coast DO school, Y-east coast DO school, and SurgeDO's DO school, we encourage you to apply to our program." i am sure others have had other experiences.

the university program i am referring to mentions directly on their web site that they will not accept DO students to rotate at their program unless they attended certain DO schools. these are some of the more established DO schools, and they are from all over the US--suggesting it is not a regional bias.

a couple of ACGME general surgery PDs of some community hospitals in the area. messages were along the lines of, "we used to be hesitant of accepting DO students into our program given the need to serve allopathic schools, but after reviewing X-west coast DO school, Y-east coast DO school, and SurgeDO's DO school, we encourage you to apply to our program." i am sure others have had other experiences.

the university program i am referring to mentions directly on their web site that they will not accept DO students to rotate at their program unless they attended certain DO schools. these are some of the more established DO schools, and they are from all over the US--suggesting it is not a regional bias.

Well it certainly makes sense that as PDs become more informed about DO schools, a ranking begins to develop. However the number of new DO schools that are popping up is still going to make the process more difficult.

It's good to hear that opportunities in ACGME surgery is finally opening up. I just wish the AOA and ACGME merger occurs so this ridiculous two match ordeal is over with.