D.O. school...in general

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spyyder31

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that as far as MD schools go, there is a certain rank that people (premeds and not) put schools in, regarding that schools reputation. For example, ask the common premed or professor which Med school he/she feels would be "the best to go to" and you'll here schools like Harvard, Johns Hopkins, etc. I was wondering, being completely new to the osteopathic world, is there such a thing with regards to DO schools? Are some DO schools "thought of" as being the top notch DO school? Now,I know vary well that there can be no such ranking (as many schools have their strong and weak attributes), and if there was it probably holds no weight, because the student holds the real key to a stellar education. But I do know that everybody has an "opinion", and that's all I'm asking for...just to settle my curiosity. Thanks a bunch!
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Spyyder:

It really depends on a number of things, as you already know.

As far as ranking in primary care, Michigan State University, College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM) is ranked 9th (tied with Hopkins and UCSF).
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine is ranked 22nd (tied with U. Minnesota).The University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM) is ranked 42nd overall.

Kirksville is the oldest, PCOM is the largest (and 5th largest medical school overall), and many say that the coastal schools (UNECOM, for instance) have the best campuses and most scenic area.

I would highly suggest visiting as many schools as you can before you apply.

Find out which school best fits you, as I think that it was really makes a school #1.

Best of luck to you!

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"