D.O. Statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't feel I can relate much to his life experiences.

So what? If you don't need or want his advice, thats fine. Don't read it. Some of us may.

But really, I think most of us have doctors who are friends, relatives, parents, etc who have decades upon decades of experience who would treat us with mutual respect

Nah, that's completly false. I do not know one single doctor. No one in my family is in any health care profession. These forums are an important source of imformation for me, and the many like me.

I train lots of students at my job and have never felt the urge to talk down to them or belittle them and have never even gotten mad when they made grave mistakes.

JPH is not a paid teacher here.

the good that he is doing is being overshadowed by his bad
any good intentions are lost by the way he treats others.

No they're not. He has many posts that contain useful information. That information does not dissolve because he does not deliver it in a friendly way.

Members don't see this ad.

So what? If you don't need or want his advice, thats fine. Don't read it. Some of us may.

I don't ask for his advice and neither do many others. He gives it freely w/o request and then proceeds to harass, belittle, name call, and put down those people down. Name calling and insults are a TOS violation last I heard.

JPH is not a paid teacher here.

Exactly. Which is why it should not be tolerated when he is disrespectful and belittling to others. With the the amount that he harasses others, I can only imagine that SDN could be held liable if they just sat around and did nothing about it.

Oftentimes I find the people who are most willing to tolerate and even support and encourage inapropriate behavior are those that would act the same way in the same position. It might be beneficial to find a mentor or someone who can teach you not only about medicine, but also how to be respectful of others even if they aren't at your 'rank'.

I really could care less if JPH is on these forums or not. I don't come on here to be berated and harassed in inapropriate ways......but any good intentions are lost by the way he treats others.

I'm sure you have realized by now that some people agree with your assessment & others don't.

You could have done what's good for the group collectively (simply used the IGNORE function, since many don't mind his posts ), but instead you chose to do what's best for you (type a 3 paragraph essay about respect in the hopes that it will sway a moderator to never unban JPH so he doesn't hurt your feelings again).

That was a selfish move.

Members don't see this ad :)
obviously, he has not had a chance to get some first hand experience, and he has no other choice but to go off others' advice. what is wrong with that?

He didn't say there's anything wrong with going off others' advice. JPH's point was that it's dishonest to present your impressions based on things you've heard as fact.

I'm sure you have realized by now that some people agree with your assessment & others don't.

You could have done what's good for the group collectively (simply used the IGNORE function, since many don't mind his posts ), but instead you chose to do what's best for you (type a 3 paragraph essay about respect in the hopes that it will sway a moderator to never unban JPH so he doesn't hurt your feelings again).

That was a selfish move.

I've seen him banned and unbanned twice now. I'm sure it will happen again and quite honestly, I don't care if it happens again. And people calling out for it on the forums is not going to sway what moderators do. Their job is to protect everyone. My 3 paragraph post was not about him being banned or unbanned or about my feelings being hurt. Why are you allowed to express your opinion, but when I do, I'm selfish? That's just plain silly talk and an attempt to inflame. Before he was banned last time, I caught and outed him in an outright lie about URM admissions. Yes, he admitted to it honorably but how can you listen to a guy to that just makes up stuff to prove his point as if it was true. I honestly don't have a problem with the guy but I don't understand how he is a valuable resource when he treats others so badly.

I don't ask for his advice and neither do many others. He gives it freely w/o request and then proceeds to harass, belittle, name call, and put down those people down. Name calling and insults are a TOS violation last I heard.

I trust in any rational persons ability to cope with some amount of belittlement. But this is irrelevant. What is relevant is wether a ban was warranted. No, it was not. If JPH trolled about the forums, inciting people for no reason and contributing nothing, then he deserves a ban. But this is not the case at all. He contributed a lot, and incited people only by speaking frankly and truthfully.

Which is why it should not be tolerated when he is disrespectful and belittling to others. With the the amount that he harasses others, I can only imagine that SDN could be held liable if they just sat around and did nothing about it.

Liable for what? Hurting someones feelings? Please. We are (hopefully) way beyond the point of needing someone quieted because he is a big meanie. If any person here is not emotionally equipped to overlook or ignore a disrespectful comment, perhaps they have bigger problems then their feelings being hurt. The attitude you are presenting here is great when you are being a mom, but unacceptable when among peers.

Oftentimes I find the people who are most willing to tolerate and even support and encourage inapropriate behavior are those that would act the same way in the same position.

This argument is not only completly irrelevant, but a fabrication. No one who has supported unbanning JPH has supported his insults. The only point made was that he offers useful advice, and should be around in spite of his mean comments.

The purpose of the forum is to spread information between people in, or interested in, medical fields. If you want to just feel cozy and be around nice people, go somewhere else for that.

Their [moderators] job is to protect everyone.

Thats nonsense. Their job is to minimally keep the forums clean, help out people, remove spammers and such. They are not nannies.

I don't understand how he is a valuable resource when he treats others so badly.

Then let me enlighten you. How valuble a person is, is independent from how snide or blunt their comments are. You seem to think that if a person is mean, then all his worth dissapears and they should be thrown away.

I don't mean to escalate the conversation. I simply disagree with your train of thought, and unless there is some information I do not know, banning JPH was inane.

The only point made was that he offers useful advice, and should be around in spite of his mean comments.

Huh? As a moderator said recently, this is a professional forum and should be treated as such. In most professional environments, except maybe the OR, this behavior would not be tolerated.

The purpose of the forum is to spread information between people in, or interested in, medical fields. If you want to just feel cozy and be around nice people, go somewhere else for that.

Yes. Which is exactly the reason I come here, to gather information. People can quarrel and bicker all they want but when it comes to attacking others, it is not professional or apropriate. That is where the TOS comes into play. It has nothing to do with feeling nice and cozy. That is also quite a silly thing to say.

Thats nonsense. Their job is to minimally keep the forums clean, help out people, remove spammers and such. They are not nannies.

Then let me enlighten you. How valuble a person is, is independent from how snide or blunt their comments are. You seem to think that if a person is mean, then all his worth dissapears and they should be thrown away.

I don't mean to escalate the conversation. I simply disagree with your train of thought, and unless there is some information I do not know, banning JPH was inane.

Did I say that moderators were nannies? Don't recall that. A part of the moderator's job is to make sure that people are acting in apropriate ways, staying on task, and not insulting others. There is an unmoderated forum where you can say anything you want. This is a moderated forum where you can't.

I never said that he doesn't have good advice to give. He'll give you great advice all day long if you come panting on hands and knees. And, honestly, I think his personality is spunky and interesting. I am sure there are years of history between the moderators and him that you nor I know absolutely nothing about. He was a moderator when I first joined.

This thread has gone ridiculously off topic, so I'm closing it. One last note, though-- as has been pointed out before, this is a pre-professional forum, so posters are expected to act with a little tact. Their are "un-moderated" areas of SDN where you can bitch and moan all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.