D1 is now under my belt...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats man, hope to make it to that point as well :D

Yeah, we finished about two weeks ago. Not much time to celebrate though...stupid summer session.

Anyhow - way to be brotha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finished 3 hours ago. A very good feeling indeed. One week vacation and it all starts again.

I'm looking forward to getting out of those depressing lecture halls a bit more often.

Yeah, we finished about two weeks ago. Not much time to celebrate though...stupid summer session.

Anyhow - way to be brotha.

I was done at 2:30 after completing a cumulative micro final... what fun. We get one weak off, and we start again. I appreciate the break but wish we had a little more time off.

we still got six more weeks of spring term. Two weeks off and then we start again for five more.

I will be glad to be done on Thursday. We have 5 more exams, and the entire summer off until July 21st, unless you are doing research or something.

4 more weeks and then off for 2.5 months (minus the 1 month i will be studying for boards)!!

jb!:)

How Was D1 Guys? How Would U Compare It To College?

Some classes are easier than undergrad, some are much more difficult, and some are about the same. The ones that are much more difficult aren't necessarily because they cover harder material, but the hours you must put in to studying and memorizing is a lot more than I ever did in college. I study a lot but I keep a balance between work and play. You have to. Gross Anatomy and Physiology were the hardest courses for me. Histology was not bad at all... if your college offers it, take it. You will be glad you did. The dental classes were of course the most exciting... even if I didn't get the grade I wanted to on a wax-up, I always told myself I would much rather be waxing in the lab than studying in the library. It's different for everyone though.

Members don't see this ad :)
we have it made! I have been done for almost 2 weeks and we get a total of 3 months off!!!! probably not a good thing overall but it consist of board preparation

Which classes tend to have cumulative finals?

For me, the first semester was 10 times harder than college ever was, but our spring semester was about the same as undergrad. The main issue I had in the fall was not studying for the first six weeks, doing poorly on the first round of exams, and then studying like crazy the rest of the semester trying to make up for it. If you find out what the difficult classes are going to be and start studying hard for them from the very beginning, you will be fine.

I've been told by other students a year ahead of us that the second year is worse than the first.

our only final that took in material from the whole first year was dental anatomy and masticatory dynamics.... it was exhasting you have to concentrate really hard when doing excursions without an arch to look at but it was good practice for boards.

So lucky, everybody! I have four more weeks left... But I guess it makes sense considering I started way later than everyone else.

one more day buddy!

One more week of finals and D2 summer session is over! Then off to AK, Belize, Honduras, and board review books.

So is there anything yall wish you would have known going into your D1 year that you know now? Anything that surprised you besides the amount of studying you actually had to do?

So is there anything yall wish you would have known going into your D1 year that you know now? Anything that surprised you besides the amount of studying you actually had to do?

Know that lab/clinic grading is the epitome of subjective, and no matter how hard you work or how good you are you're probably still going to get screwed at some point. Don't let it get you down, it happens to everyone in some way or another.

Just learn to become an efficient studier. It will open up much more free time in your schedule. There is nothing worse than wasting 6-8 hrs in a library and really only get 2 hrs worth of work done.

Also, be OK with getting B's (or even C's). C's get degrees too, ya know. Your class rank has absolutely no impact on how successful you will be as a dentist, so don't let it consume you. Just focus on doing as well as you can while maintaining a social life. The social life is what keeps you sane throughout roller coaster ride.

jb!:)

ps- My D1 year ended monday. It feels very good.

I may be one of the newest members of this club. I just finished D-1 year an hour ago!!!!

Now I have to study for boards (taking them July 22) :p Well, not right away of course.

I feel like I can be legit in posting in the dental forum now ;)

Sahweet- Summer session over now. 2 months of easy going studying for boards.

why are you guys studying for boards already?? dont we take em after 2nd year?

why are you guys studying for boards already?? dont we take em after 2nd year?

Nah... VCU concentrates all of our basic medical sciences and dentistry into the first year... minus occlusion and oral path. VCU prepares you to take part 1 after first year so we can focus even stronger on clinicals and preclinicals (which we have already had a lot of exposure to... balancing the 2 made 2nd semester BRUTAL...but it's over now).

Probably 4/5 of my class are taking their boards this summer. Most of the others are taking them in December and some others want to wait until Junior year when boards go pass/fail (which I don't understand the point of)... but that's the story.

I wish I could say that we are done but we go trimesters and I am just in midterms for summer trimester but we only have two trimesters in senior year so we call ourselves second years now even though we kind of aren't more like 1/2s.

Nah... VCU concentrates all of our basic medical sciences and dentistry into the first year... minus occlusion and oral path. VCU prepares you to take part 1 after first year so we can focus even stronger on clinicals and preclinicals (which we have already had a lot of exposure to... balancing the 2 made 2nd semester BRUTAL...but it's over now).

Probably 4/5 of my class are taking their boards this summer. Most of the others are taking them in December and some others want to wait until Junior year when boards go pass/fail (which I don't understand the point of)... but that's the story.

Boards won't be P/F until Jan 1 2010. Therefore, the boards will still be scored the summer between sophomore and junior year. VCU doesn't let you take boards after entering the clinic D3 year, right??

-Hup!

Last edited:
Boards won't be P/F until Jan 1 2010. Therefore, the boards will still be scored the summer between sophomore and junior year. VCU doesn't let you take boards after entering the clinic D3 year, right??

-Hup!

the only requirement now at vcu is that we pass the boards before we graduate...doesn't have to be before clinic..we were already allowed to work on patients in clinic (with a partner) this past April

LONG TIME NO SEEEEEE WOMAN!! i see you have a new logo under your name..i'll be getting mine soon! you signed up for boards yet?