D1's rant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trident007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

So I'm a D1 and the way my school is set up now we are doing entirely medicine (no dentistry, aside from a dental anatomy course). We have yet to even see a real tooth lol. I never had an interest in med school.. so I'm not too surprised that I'm not overly enjoying school right now.. but it's just so hard to sit for countless hours studying the pathophysiology of gastroesophageal reflux disease or the anatomy of the scrotum and feel excited whatsoever about that!

We're in exams now.. we have 11 exams in three weeks and I am just finding that the constant studying of these med courses is getting really depressing and overwhelming in the medical details.

Does anyone have any feedback/can relate to this? I am happy to be here.. it took a lot of work to get here.. but I am finding it harder and harder to keep my eye on the light at the end of the tunnel (when we start drilling.. or learning about dentistry!) esp with exams.. although they're more than half done which is good!

Hopefully this doesn't ruffle anyone's feathers.. just needed to get this out so I can concentrate back on school! And bring on Xmas break!!!! (all 10 days of it lol)

Thanks for the vent sesh :p

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear that dude...I feel your pain. Luckily we have been in dent sim or the mannequin lab drilling since day one so at least I have that to brighten my day. On heavy lecture days tho I feel exactly what you described. I'm a D1 as well so I don't have much advice to give, but when I feel that way I just remind myself that last year I wanted nothing more than to be where I am right now and that in a few more years I will be glad I paid my dues and made it thru. Good times are ahead, so I hear. We just have to be patient, keep our heads down, and plow thru it. Talk to some of your upperclassmen...I'm sure a lot of them went thru the exact same feelings you're having. Best wishes!!

Scotty

The first year is the toughest...I almost flunked out myself! It'll only get much easier with each passing year. Then the board is the easiest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback guys.. I feel like I'm losing it sometimes! We literally have 40 hrs of lecture per week on medicine (although 6 hrs of that is for waxing up teeth... GREATEST part of my week).

I feel whiny and ungrateful... but this is literally hell... expensive hell lol

It's good to hear from someone else it gets better.. more effective than me just thinking it myself!

Put it in perspective, it helps me to think about it this way...the majority of the population could probably hone their hand skills with a drill...the majority of the population probably could not learn all the intricacies of the human body in the amount of detail we're required to know in the given amount of time. Hence, this is why we obtain the DMD or DDS degree...not simply a technician's license...sorry if I offended anyone but that's the way I feel about it.

Put it in perspective, it helps me to think about it this way...the majority of the population could probably hone their hand skills with a drill...the majority of the population probably could not learn all the intricacies of the human body in the amount of detail we're required to know in the given amount of time. Hence, this is why we obtain the DMD or DDS degree...not simply a technician's license...sorry if I offended anyone but that's the way I feel about it.

VERY well said! We won't be physicians, but we will still be DOCTORS. Knowledge, determination, and perseverance(which is what will keep us afloat during these mind numbing 40 hr/wk lectures on toe fungus), are what separate us from your average "good with his hands" joe.

We ALL have felt your pain. Yes, you did not go to school to be a physician, BUTonly if you really think about it, we are just a specialty of medicine even though we have our own school. No, we do not do physicals, but the procedures we do have a direct impact on the systems of our patients and the medical treatments they undergo can have a direct impact on how we treat our patients. Therefore, we MUST take a bunch of courses that teach us the same stuff that the medical students take. We just get to do it while taking one or more dental related courses.

As far as not practicing dentistry, it is common in a lot of schools to only have dental anatomy the first semester and to have to wait until the second semester of the first year until you get to work on a real extracted tooth. But, if you think about it, you need to learn about the anatomy of a tooth before you can actually know what you are doing in the other courses. Now, some schools do other thigns the first semester, but for a good majority dental anatomy is the course you take in the first semester. It does get better. Actually, you might get to a point in the next semester or two where you have more dental related courses/pre-clinical labs that you wish you were back in the first semester again.

As for the countless hours of studying, get use to it. That is just a fact of life in school. Now, there are those who get away with a lot less than most, but for others (like myself) they have to study their butts off. Last year at this time, we had 10 finals in 11 days. Durign that time, I had a total of 18 hours of sleep in 11 days. I aced my exams for the most part, but without studying the way I did I would not have done as well as I had. I may have damaged my liver beyond all recognition drinking as much Monster energy drinks as I did, but I still got it done and did it well. Studying plain sucks, but in dental school it is just a fact of life. If dental school was easy, anyone could be here!!!!

Realize this .... this will end quicker than you realize. If you have to, take it day by day. On the days that get you down, keep reminding yourself of what the goal is. Picture the satisfaction of walking across the stage and them announcing you to your friends and family as Dr. XXXXXXX. That will be an awesome day. I know when my wife got her doctorate, I was choked up for her. I can only imagine what it will feel like for me. Point is, keep focused. Set your sights on your goall and try to relax. It will get better. One day you will make it to the clinic where you get to feel like you know absolutely nothing and almost want to crap your pants the first time you yank out a tooth with no professors showing you really how to do it. Eventually, you will get there!!! Stick with it!

If you need to vent, this is the place. We have all been throught it and can feel for you. Good luck with finals. (I just finished my last one today ... :clap:).

Hey,

So I'm a D1 and the way my school is set up now we are doing entirely medicine (no dentistry, aside from a dental anatomy course). We have yet to even see a real tooth lol. I never had an interest in med school.. so I'm not too surprised that I'm not overly enjoying school right now.. but it's just so hard to sit for countless hours studying the pathophysiology of gastroesophageal reflux disease or the anatomy of the scrotum and feel excited whatsoever about that!

We're in exams now.. we have 11 exams in three weeks and I am just finding that the constant studying of these med courses is getting really depressing and overwhelming in the medical details.

Does anyone have any feedback/can relate to this? I am happy to be here.. it took a lot of work to get here.. but I am finding it harder and harder to keep my eye on the light at the end of the tunnel (when we start drilling.. or learning about dentistry!) esp with exams.. although they're more than half done which is good!

Hopefully this doesn't ruffle anyone's feathers.. just needed to get this out so I can concentrate back on school! And bring on Xmas break!!!! (all 10 days of it lol)

Being a D1 myself, I know several close friends who currently are not in dental school, but want to me. Realize that for whatever you are currently doing, there are people out there who are envious of your position. Coming from someone who is on the same level as you, realize that there are certain times in life that may be difficult. This also applies to outside the realm of dentistry. Also recognize that things will get worse before they get better. A few other things..

1. Realized that in retrospect, 10 years from now, you will look back and be proud of yourself, your commitment, and perseverance.

2. Recognize a person in your class or a year older than you that this statement applies to.. "If they can do it, so can I."

3. Think back to when you were applying to dental school.. did you really see dental school being any other way besides arduous?

The things in life that are the hardest to obtain wind up being the most gratifying. Coming from someone who is going through their first round of professional school finals as well, realize that there are plenty of other people out there in the same boat as you. Overall, if you're looking for a career path that is well paying, non-demanding, you enjoy doing, and requires no effort to obtain, please let me know when you find it.

Hey,

Mind if I ask.. UCSF/Columbia?

Consider that you are going to be an Oral Physician.

Do all dental school go in-depth into medicine in D1, or does it vary from school to school?

Do all dental school go in-depth into medicine in D1, or does it vary from school to school?

Not so much medicine as an in depth study of the human body and how it works, and yes all schools do this. The actual MEDICINE study is done in Pharmacology, and some professors will touch on it more in biochem. Most school try to aim their curriculum during the first 1-2 years to get you prepared for the boards, which will test knowledge of all parts/systems of the body. Some of the info can be applied by us as dentists, and some will not.

In my opinion all education levels have at least one thing in common, divulging information that you will not necessarily HAVE to use; however, this information does aid in understanding of the overall subject area, however pertinent/non-useful it may be.