DA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

passiondentistr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1] Distinguishing charecteristic of Mandibular Lateral Incisor?
a. The Incisal edge follows the arch curvature in relation to faciolingual axis
b. Incisal edge is lingual to the root bisector

2] Muscle having important influence though not a muscle of mastication?
a. diagastric
b. omohyoid

3] which teeth is wider faciolingually than mesiodistally
a. mand 1 premolar
b. max 1 molar

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
for # 1 answer is a, the distal edge of the lateral incisor follows the curve of the arch
# 1 b applies to mand CI

# 2- i would say digastric...but i dont know reason.

# 3- max 1 molar
mand 1st pm is mostly famous for resembling canine and for having a very lingually inclined occlusal table.

hey thanks but r u sure about the 2 ans ??
bec the options also include diagastric , mylohyoid , omohyoid.which one now ??

hmm...w/ mylohyoid...definitely i would pick that as the answer. specially cuz its the floor of the mouth and stuff...digastric/omohyoid are imp cuz of the triangles and arent DIRECTLy related to too much stuff in the mouth..

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on what "influence" the question is asking for. The four muscles of mastication are the medial and lateral pterygoids, the masseter, and the temporalis- all of which obviously function in the raising of the mandible. The omohyoid's function is mainly to assist with movement of the hyoid bone and depressing the larynx. The digastric functions to help open the mandible when the muscles of mastication are relaxed. The mylohyoid functions mainly to elevate the floor of the mouth to prepare for swallowing and elevation of the hyoid. A minor function is to depress the mandible.

So what is the answer? If is is asking for the greatest assistance DURING mastication- definitely the digastric. If it wants to know the greatest influence AFTER mastication- mylohyoid because of its help in preparation of swallowing.

lateral pterygoid doesnt function in closing mouth/raising mandible..it helps in opening the mouth.

its definately a digastric coz it assists not only with temporalis in retruding the mandible but also with the lateral pterygoid in opening the jaw(depressing the mandible)

I thought digastric IS a muscle of mastication. When I saw there were more choices, my gut reaction was mylohyoid. The question asks for a muscle which is NOT considered a muscle of mastication.

nope. digastric is NOT a muscle of mastication. the muscles of mastication are Temporalis, Masseter, Medial Pterygoid and Lateral Pterygoid. out of which Lateral pterygoid helps in opening the mouth and all other's close the mouth.
can you write out the whole question and the choices out? That way you dont have to give info in pieces and we can get the full question and give u the answer.

Sorry guys for the confusion , the whole question is
Which of the following muscles has an important influence on the function of the mandible, although not generally considered the muscle of mastication ?
a. omohyoid
b. geniohyoid
c. mylohyoid
d. diagastric
e. sternocleidomastoid

I know that along with the 4 muscles of mastication , Diagastric as well as mylohyoid muscles also assist in depressing the mandible .

wow, really makes you think.
Digastric and Mylohyoid are both accessory depressors of the mandible, but mylohyoid also has an additional function of aid in swallowing, pushes the tongue upwards ( but thats not an influence on the mandible).....i would say mylohyoid.
i looked in kaplan book and notes from videos and cunningham...no additional info. found other than whats written above. so i hope i helped.
can i ask where this question is from? so i can keep an eye out for it.

during a visual examination of a patient who has a severe clenching habit, which muscle would one expect to see enlarged
a. masseter
b. temporalis
c. medial pterygoid
d. lateral pterygoid
ans. masseter

anybody pls can explainwhy masseter becoz except lateral pterygoid all three r used in elevating the mandibleand closing the mouth

Okay what confused me was that in my anatomy class he listed both digastric and mylohyoid in the muscles of mastication section. Looking back on it, digastric definitely is a key player in that it depresses the mandible (anterior digastric). Mylohyoid has no significant effect on the movement of the mandible.

If digastric isn't a muscle of mastication, I would go with that as the answer.

during a visual examination of a patient who has a severe clenching habit, which muscle would one expect to see enlarged
a. masseter
b. temporalis
c. medial pterygoid
d. lateral pterygoid
ans. masseter

anybody pls can explainwhy masseter becoz except lateral pterygoid all three r used in elevating the mandibleand closing the mouth
Masseter is a very powerful muscle and is the main muscle of elevation. Forceful clenching is mostly performed by Masseter, thats why its chosen.

ya guys now me too agree the ans to be Diagastric only.
Another twist to this ... In the decks , it says that both diagastric n omohyoid assist the lateral pterygoid muscle in depressing the mandible.

Looking incisally ,change in the facial line angles will have effect on what embrassure?
lingual
incisal
gingival
facial

i too think it is facial embrassure but if it would hav been a point angle then incisal embrassure would be affected

Q.which of the foll anatomic factors will restrict the amount of lateral shift that can occur in a working condyle
medial wall of the articular fossa on the working side
superior wall of the articular fossa on the non working side
capsular ligaments
stylomandibular ligament

i myself think the ans. to be capsular ligaments but acc to the key it is the second choice

Q. maxilaary central incisor cross sectioned at CEJ will have which of the foll forms
round
square
triangular
rectangular

Q. maxilaary central incisor cross sectioned at CEJ will have which of the foll forms
round
square
triangular
rectangular

triagular - ans