dangly earrings for interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dulcina

=)
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know people say to get studs, but I dont have any, and I sort of like dangly earrings. I found a "conservative" pair of dangly earrings, do they seem ok?

Members don't see this ad.

I know people say to get studs, but I dont have any, and I sort of like dangly earrings. I found a "conservative" pair of dangly earrings, do they seem ok?

those are cute! but you know i've heard the same thing about earrings for interviews. if don't want to get studs how about some pearls or small hoops.

I think they will be fine. As long as you're not wearing huge lime green hoops with glitter and spangles, you should be okay. Those look nice and professional.

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally wore these to my interview (right panel):

bigHoops.jpg

I got in everywhere I interviewed.

I'm not a woman or a fashion expert, but those look a little large to me. Why not stop at a local mall and pick up a $15 pair of simple studs from one of those ubiquitous jewelry booths?

I'm not a woman or a fashion expert, but those look a little large to me. Why not stop at a local mall and pick up a $15 pair of simple studs from one of those ubiquitous jewelry booths?

I think that was a joke...

You would be better off getting pearl-like studs from Claire's, Icing or even Walmart (all cheap). Overstock.com sells studs too. They have nickel free jewelry at all these places if you have sensitive ears. Always aim for the conservative look!

hmm theyre about 1cm long, and 3/4 cm wide.

Dude, I just completely snarfed all over my computer screen because of your avatar. Well done.

LOL.... too funny. (the avatar. though the snarfing is too, i suppose, lol)

You would be better off getting pearl-like studs from Claire's, Icing or even Walmart (all cheap). Overstock.com sells studs too. They have nickel free jewelry at all these places if you have sensitive ears. Always aim for the conservative look!
ok, thanks for the advice. I'm so lazy about going shopping, but I guess I'll drag my butt out to a store :p

actually, on second thought, maybe I'll just wear no earring.

I don't see any problem with those earrings, Dulcina. They seem conservative enough (yet still classy) to me. But I'm no adcom, and I never wear studs.

Don't you have long hair anyway? If you wear some of it down, your earrings will be covered pretty much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dulcina,

They're pretty earrings but if you're wondering whether you should or shouldn't, then you probably shouldn't.

Dumb aside: I started out in college as a Vocal Performance major. At the end of my junior recital after this difficult German piece that I worked really hard on the diction for the stupid judge looks at me and says, "You shouldn't wear dangly earrings when you sing."

And that was all. No "pretty voice" or "I liked this but didn't like that" just a dumb comment on my earrings.

So perhaps I'm not the best person to ask. But I haven't worn dangly earrings when I sing since then (I also don't sing much publicly anymore either but that's another story). I probably won't wear dangly earrings to my med school interviews either :laugh:

Good luck...this is small stuff. You'll be great.

Dulcina,

They're pretty earrings but if you're wondering whether you should or shouldn't, then you probably shouldn't.

Dumb aside: I started out in college as a Vocal Performance major. At the end of my junior recital after this difficult German piece that I worked really hard on the diction for the stupid judge looks at me and says, "You shouldn't wear dangly earrings when you sing."

And that was all. No "pretty voice" or "I liked this but didn't like that" just a dumb comment on my earrings.

So perhaps I'm not the best person to ask. But I haven't worn dangly earrings when I sing since then (I also don't sing much publicly anymore either but that's another story). I probably won't wear dangly earrings to my med school interviews either :laugh:

Good luck...this is small stuff. You'll be great.

lol what a ridiculous judge.

yeah, i like fretting about the small stuff, i'm avoiding the big stuff (like, i havent started preparing for my interview on friday)

I'm a fan of pearls personally, but I think those earrings are probably fine. Not a big deal in the grand scheme, though I know we tend to obsess over every last detail. :)

do you think they'd care too much about multiple ear piercings? as long as they're small studs?

do you think they'd care too much about multiple ear piercings? as long as they're small studs?

I would definitely only wear one set of earrings to the interview. Leave the other holes empty that day.

i say no. studs are the only way to go.

I never would have even thought about that, but you're probably right.

I say get some cheap medium sized stud earrings at Claire's :) Not even joking, they look very real.

I say go for it. I wore dangly pearls like that for my interviews. If they're small, it's still conservative.

OP, wear the dangling earrings. They're cute & will draw the interviewer's eyes toward your face. Studs are ok too but if everyone wears them, along with a black suit, colored blouse, and black pumps the place looks like "Stepford Wives Apply to Med School".

Avoid the cookie cutter -- do something (slightly) radical and chic.

OP, wear the dangling earrings. They're cute & will draw the interviewer's eyes toward your face. Studs are ok too but if everyone wears them, along with a black suit, colored blouse, and black pumps the place looks like "Stepford Wives Apply to Med School".

for serious.

Pleasantly surprised to hear LizzyM's take on this. Right on.
Just tone down the vibrato so your earrings don't dangle too much ;)

Those are fine. I wore "dangly" earrings on my interviews and it was never a problem. Just make sure they go with your suit.

Also, for heaven's sake people, the pearls and the black suit with white or blue shirt-- how boring can you get. It is one thing if that is your personality or your preference but you can wear a conservative suit (consider navy with a hint of red, pink, green; also hunter green, chocolate brown, maroon, grey) without completely giving up any sense of style or personality.

Dude, I just completely snarfed all over my computer screen because of your avatar. Well done.

Haha. I did the same thing when I first saw it. There were a bunch of other awesome ones too, but this was my favorite. I don't have kids but I have 3 nephews and 1 niece so I'm pretty inclined to love stuff like that!

What about multiple piercings? I have 3 in each earlobe (usually studs)... take the second two sets out?

thanks! =)

I'll go for the dangly, but avoid the 2nd holes. :D

When I interviewed for MD/PhD there was this guy with a bunch of piercings who interviewed with them all in and did really well.

He also had a first authored Science paper.

It turns out if you're badass, you can get away with a lot of things :laugh: Same goes for professors!