Another dang diversity essay question, LGBT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hypophora

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I've been getting started on my secondaries and we all know the famous "diversity question". Wondering if anyone can give insight about how wise it would be to talk about the intricacies of growing up a gay guy in a family with strong religious and eastern asian cultural values? Could this be interesting or does it come off as boring/cliche?

I'm worried about the (admittedly very low) possibility of my app getting into the hands of someone with prejudices. On the other hand, it would be very obvious and straightforward for me to write about and for readers to understand, which I think would be good (but also, to reiterate, possibly boring).

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Becoming dime-a-dozen now, sadly. Just don't apply to Loma Linda or LUCOM.

LGBT are considered URM by a number of schools, so just you can certainly talk about your growing up and/or being gay, but the troubles you had with your family are better suited for the "greatest challenge" prompts.

Reactions: 1 user

Hi Goro, thanks for replying! I am not applying to LL or LUCOM.

Being dime-a-dozen, does that mean I might want to see if I can come up with something more unique/interesting? My other considerations seem to come off as kind of nebulous if not pretentious, i.e. being what I consider a more "literate" person than average for a science major (broadly read, a love for the English language) or maybe having a professional interest in working to redefine the semantically fraught boundaries between psychology and neuroscience.

Re: greatest challenge, I have another experience in mind, which is helping a close friend cope with severe depression and suicidal ideation. I realize it depends on tone, but could this come off as overly personal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I think it would be more useful to try something else.

Being dime-a-dozen, does that mean I might want to see if I can come up with something more unique/interesting? My other considerations seem to come off as kind of nebulous if not pretentious, i.e. being what I consider a more "literate" person than average for a science major (broadly read, a love for the English language) or maybe having a professional interest in working to redefine the semantically fraught boundaries between psychology and neuroscience.

Not overly personal at all.
Re: greatest challenge, I have another experience in mind, which is helping a close friend cope with severe depression and suicidal ideation. I realize it depends on tone, but could this come off as overly personal?[/QUOTE]

I wrote about my experience as a lesbian growing up in a Southern Baptist family for my Case Western secondary and it was talked about positively in both of my interviews. More than I expected actually... :shrug:

Anyway, I think it's all about how you frame it.

Reactions: 2 users

LGBT are considered URM by a number of schools, so just you can certainly talk about your growing up and/or being gay, but the troubles you had with your family are better suited for the "greatest challenge" prompts.

@Goro how is bisexuality seen? I know that gay/lesbians are now more accepted but I know that bi people are given more criticism, even from the LGBT community. I am worried that it might be seen as me being "weird" essentially

@Goro how is bisexuality seen? I know that gay/lesbians are now more accepted but I know that bi people are given more criticism, even from the LGBT community. I am worried that it might be seen as me being "weird" essentially
I've never seen it brought up before! I would strongly recommend having some service to community, lest people just trot out the descriptor in hopes of getting an advantage, int he same way to tons of Caucasian kids suddenly discover their Native American heritage right at app time.

Every gay friend of mine refuses to believe that bi's are really bi.
;)

I've never seen it brought up before! I would strongly recommend having some service to community, lest people just trot out the descriptor in hopes of getting an advantage, int he same way to tons of Caucasian kids suddenly discover their Native American heritage right at app time.

;)
This directly defines my state

Reactions: 1 users

;)

Thanks for your response! I don't have service, but I wanted to mention how I found my community of LGBT+ friends in college, and how that helped me develop my own sense of self and pride in who I am. Would that be seen as dumb?

Thanks for your response! I don't have service, but I wanted to mention how I found my community of LGBT+ friends in college, and how that helped me develop my own sense of self and pride in who I am. Would that be seen as dumb?

No. And if you were a fly on the wall when adcom members review your application, you might see some nods from members who can relate to your situation. I know that my committee has lesbian and gay members.

Reactions: 4 users
No. And if you were a fly on the wall when adcom members review your application, you might see some nods from members who can relate to your situation. I know that my committee has lesbian and gay members.

Awesome! Thanks so much LizzyM!