Dartmouth interviewees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quaileggs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I seem to have somehow improbably escaped the Christmas Eve massacre..but I suppose the rejection could still be in the mail! To those who have interviews/have interviewed at Dartmouth (regular MD), when were your apps complete there?..and how long did it take to hear from D.? I have gotten the impression that Dartmouth is behind schedule, but it looks like they are getting into gear especially in the case of rolling out the rejections! Crummy Christmas present, guys! :(

Members don't see this ad.

christmas eve massacre?? does that mean that when i get back from break, there may be a slimy thin envelope in my mailbox from big green?!?! and i thought i didn't have enough reason not to leave home! i interviewed in early november - did people who interviewed around then find out this past week? someone help me (and qualie) out here!

clueless and fearful,
alice

My app was complete in Sept and I still haven't heard from them. I wonder if their is a rejection sitting at home for me? Damn. I thought that I may still have a shot at an interview. Were you interviewees notified via email or snail mail, or telephone?

Members don't see this ad :)
My app was complete at the beginning of Sept, I interviewed in mid October, and got the acceptance around the first of December.

I got the interview by snail mail.

During the interview, they told us that they are very picky about who they give out acceptances to early in the process. When I got my acceptance letter, it felt as if I was really handpicked so to speak. The director of admissions, instead of writing out a standard form letter congratulating me on the acceptance, wrote a personal note in his own handwriting, making it feel much more personal.

I wouldnt get too worried yet, I didnt hear anything about them rejecting a bunch of people around Christmas. They told us NOT to expect to hear from them anytime soon and not to worry since they always take a long time to sort through the process. I dont think they are necessarily more behind than any other school is so far, it just seems they are very careful about who they give out acceptances to, especially at this point when its fairly early in the process.

Baylor:
"I didnt hear anything about them rejecting a bunch of people around Christmas."
See Acceptances and Rejections thread, pgs 18 and 19---and you will hear!
And I could be wrong but I get the impression that the Christmas riot of rejections were rejections without interview.
As for me, I will keep dreaming of a Dartmouth interview (and Stanford and Harvard and....) until a rejection letter shows up :)
I hope there's no nasty news awaiting you Alice and UCSFreak! From what I have gathered about you Alice, it would be weird for D. to reject you before rejecting me!

Yes, I am a victim of the "Christmas Eve Massacre". This really stinks. My first rejection is from one of my "dream schools". I am going to give them a call to make sure they have all their info straight. I'd hate to be screwed a second time by AMCAS. Gotta check to make sure they got things right, eh?

Anyhoo, I'm really bummed now. Hopefully I'll hear some good news from my other reach schools, though I thought Dartmouth was more of a safe reach than my others.

SwampMan - When did you get your rejection? It's been over a week now since most people got theirs, I'm wondering if I made it through this slaying since I haven't gotten anything.

Today was the first day I have been able to check my mailbox in a while. The letter was dated 21 Dec. :( DAMN this sucks!

Good Luck

My app was complete there in mid september and I got a request to interview around mid December. Their invite to interview is a pretty thin envelope. I guess if you really really looked hard enough, you could tell it isn't a rejection because two thick pieces of paper are enclosed in the packet, whereas a rejection only has one piece of paper in the envelope. But when I got the invite, I thought I'd been rejected. So don't heart attack everyone when you open the mail box.

So you are telling me that there is hope?

I now have the rejection letter in hand. Damn.

Blah... I guess they are still sending out the rejections. Just got mine today (Jan 02).

Does anyone know if these are alll pre-interview rejections? Is it that they are basically finishing extending interviews? Or are any of these post-interview rejections?

I am waiting for about five of the former kind of rejections and while I am not that excited about getting them, I think I'd rather hear now than, say, March.... While it ain't fun for the Big Green to be doing this right in time for xmas/new years, it is kind of respectable of them to get down to business.

Enough ramble, my first question stands - is this rush of rejections purely pre-interview?