Dartmouth MD vs. Dartmouth/Brown MD ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

altaskier

Altaholics Anonymous 92'
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone who has already interviewed at Dartmouth, or who just knows a lot about the school, what is the difference between the Dartmouth MD program and the joint Dartmouth/Brown Program?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Dartmouth MD you spend the whole 4 years in Hanover, Dartmouth-Brown you split 2 years in hanovoer and 2 years (clinical) in Providence RI.

Some people dont like the somewhat undiversified patient population of the Hanover area and so they choose the Brown-Dartmouth program because there is wider patient exposure in Providence. However, I'm not sure exactly how much better it is there, i will defer to Providence natives to tell you about that.

I chose the Dartmouth program because if I had chosen to go there, I'd like to stay with the same group of classmates for all 4 years. Plus, I think its slightly harder to get into the Brown-Dartmouth program because there are fewer slots available. Keep in mind that if you choose to do Brown-Dartmouth, that the vast majority of your classmates at Brown will be part of the combined undergrad-med program in liberal medical education. I dont know if thats bad or good, but just smething to remember.

Did you already go on your Dartmouth interview? I would get that program request sheet back to them pronto because they absolutely will NOT make any decision on your app until they know whether you prefer Dartmouth or the Brown-Dartmouth program. And if they accept you, they expect you to go to the program you indicated a preference for on your sheet. I dont think they will let you switch programs.

I honestly dont know much specifics about the Brown med school, so thats also partly why I chose Dartmouth. You have the option of interview with the Brown program while you are interviewing at Dartmouth, I'm not sure if the visit to Brown would be used to evaluate you or not though.

When I talked to the interview coordinator, she said that I could pick the program I wanted up to the interview date. I was leaning towards just the Dartmouth MD program myself too. I never got a sheet back that asked me to pick one, although I might have to call them and request one be sent to me.

thanks Baylor 21

Members don't see this ad :)
Alta -
you definitely should call them - they should have given you a sheet with the rest of your interview materials. i agree with the other poster - the reason to go to dartmouth is to take advantage of what dartmouth has to offer. esp in terms of getting great recs from awesome physicians that know you and the other 60 people there really well! brown has all these random really young kids who went straight from med school and is generally not reputed to be as good of a school. re: less diversity, i wouldn't worry about it. you should worry about that much more with residency.

i choose the brown dartmouth program. i liked the fact that brown students did alot of research aboard and community service and interesting clerkships. they had good hospitals to choose from. AFTER your interview is when you choose which program to apply to. if you choose one then you are eliminated from the other so keep that in mind. they said that the programs have near equal competition (slots to numbers who appli). and if you get in they expect you to do that program and there are not changes allowed. hope that helps.

I called Dartmouth and asked them the specifics on when you decide upon which program you want. I found out that you decide which program to pick the day of the interview, or even afterwards. Although, if you do decide later, I guess your file will be delayed (as I think Baylor21 pointed out).

The Saga Continues