dartmouth second look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

linus

fly tux.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is there one? i haven't gotten any info from them about revisits.

Members don't see this ad.

bump, one last try...

with such a small class, i'm guessing there aren't too many of us out there.

i guess you can try calling the school tomorrow :D

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend who got accepted to Dartmouth last year said they DO have a second look weekend, but they don't pay for your airticket though.

post deleted

Last edited:
absolutezero, your info is correct. have you decided on your school, or are still in decision mode?

I still haven't heard back from all schools yet (yale) so i'm not ready to make a decision.

I was accepted to the Dartmouth/Brown program and from what I've seen and heard it seems like a really cool opportunity. I've spoken to a few 3rd years who are loving it and give it a strong endorsement. I would be really excited to enroll at dms. I'll almost certainly go to the 2nd look weekend.

Is anyone else going up to Dartmouth's visiting weekend? If so, is there anyone coming from the Northeast... I am thinking of driving and perhaps if others are interested, we can carpool to share and save on costs?

PM me if interested. Thanks.

Just got the 2nd look info in the mail. Seems like a pretty cool schedule of events.

I like that dms seems to put so much effort into selling the school-all the notes and letters and magazines etc. do a pretty good job toward making the school an inviting place. Kind of cool that they're having C. Everett Koop speak on Saturday, even if he did serve in a republican administration.

How long did it take for you guys to hear back from Dartmouth after interviewing? Just curious ... thanks! :)

post deleted

Last edited:
They've already send out the info for second look weekend and I still haven't heard anything post interview. Is that a bad sign? :confused:

I just heard back from Dartmouth. I got accepted!!! I'm so happy, still kind of shock. Didn't think I would.

I tried to find an "OFFICIAL" dartmouth thread but there doesn't appear to be one so I'll post my questions here

I have a couple of concerns about the school though as of right now it's the best school I have been accepted too.

My concerns are that the class is too small and that the average age for last year's class was 27. I'm only 21 so I'm a bit worried about this. What do you guys think about this?

Hope to see you for second look weekend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by absolutezero
BTW, did you get into straight Dartmouth or Dartmouth/Brown?

straight Dartmouth. the Dartmouth/Brown programs is a nice opporunity but seeing that I'm concerned with a class size of 80, to be a class of 15 would probably be tougher for me. I realize that it's not really a class of 15 but I was concerned with having to move again after two years and essentially starting over again.

congrats, russian dude!

For me, the small size is also a plus. Your second concern, the older age, does concern me a little, however. Not so much the age, since i'm older myself and also a non-trad, but more the fact that most students seem to be family types, married w/ kids, etc. Also doesn't seem to have much ethnic diversity, which is new for me. The outdoors scene is a draw though, since i'm a big skiier, etc.

Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss more. i would be interested in hearing your impressions of the school & students from your visits, etc.

I'm heading up to Dartmouth for second look..i'm a young female - 23. the age thing doesn't throw me too much - i'm 1.5 years out of school and i hang with a lot of 25-28 year olds from work (i'm the youngest one of the "group") and they are quite entertaining and fun. some are married some are single. just come to second look with an open mind!

I just got accepted!! After months of waiting I'm so happy I received good news!

I'm almost certain I'll be at Hanover next fall. Sadly I can't make it to second look weekend since I'll be at a wedding, but I'll be interested in hearing how it goes. I got into the straight Dartmouth program, I love skiing, love small classes and I'm only 22. TheRussian, since I've already met you, you have to choose Dartmouth. I'd love to know someone when I get there !!

Woohooo, I'm so excited! :clap:

Congrats, DMBUGA34!! ;)

I will be at both the Second look weekend and likely in the fall. Look fwd to meeting you.

:clap:

Congrats DMBUGA34!! :clap:

I'm still waiting to hear back, but I interviewed kind of late so I think it's still a little early. I called the admissions office yesterday and they said they plan on wrapping things up in the next few weeks so hopefully I'll hear some good news then. :)

Originally posted by DMBUGA34
I just got accepted!! After months of waiting I'm so happy I received good news!

I'm almost certain I'll be at Hanover next fall. Sadly I can't make it to second look weekend since I'll be at a wedding, but I'll be interested in hearing how it goes. I got into the straight Dartmouth program, I love skiing, love small classes and I'm only 22. TheRussian, since I've already met you, you have to choose Dartmouth. I'd love to know someone when I get there !!

Congratulations!! I'll look forward to seeing you here next fall. DMS is a great place :)

By the way, start looking for a place to live NOW!! Housing is expensive and often hard to come by. The major movement time on leases for next fall is May/June. If you have any questions, let me know and I'll be happy to help.

:clap:

Originally posted by TheRussian
I just heard back from Dartmouth. I got accepted!!! I'm so happy, still kind of shock. Didn't think I would.

I tried to find an "OFFICIAL" dartmouth thread but there doesn't appear to be one so I'll post my questions here

I have a couple of concerns about the school though as of right now it's the best school I have been accepted too.

My concerns are that the class is too small and that the average age for last year's class was 27. I'm only 21 so I'm a bit worried about this. What do you guys think about this?

Hope to see you for second look weekend.

Hi there!

I'm a first year so I thought I'd try to answer a couple of your questions.

First: yes, the class is fairly small. In addition, the admin here spends a lot of energy engendering a sense of community among the students. The town is also pretty small and you'll find yourself running into classmates, profs, and upperclassmen at the grocery, etc. I also need to say that I'm biased because I was actually attracted by the small class size and the idea of living in a small town.

Having said that, I've got to say that the admissions committee does a great job of picking people who are easy to get along with. There is also the benefit that most students don't live on campus so we all get away time. Trips to Boston/Providence/Montreal are nice ways to take a break, too.

In the end, it depends on your own personalilty. Can you see yourself liking a small town and close-knit community? Do you think you'll miss having lots of clubs/bars/etc around?

Second: the average age is that high because we have two students that are much older than the rest of us (late thirties, early forties) and several who are in their mid-late twenties. I'd say that over 60% of the class was 22-25 when we started last fall. We've had three 21st birthday celebrations so far. I'm in my late 20s and sometimes I'm surprised to find out how "young" some of my friends are. As far as those "married with children" we have two guys in our class whose wives had babies this winter and we have one single mother. There are a few other married people and lots of those who are engaged. There is a definite complaint among the single women in our class about the dismal dating scene here.

So this is another personality issue . . . . .

The general consensus among our class is that people are happy to be here. A few of the Brown/Dartmouth students are happy that they'll be leaving after two years, but they made that decision based on their own wants/needs.

Ack! This has turned out way too long and it sounds pendantic. Good luck making your decision!

Hi absolutezero and everyone else!

Congrats on your acceptance! I also applied to the B-D program but I am still waiting for a post-interview decision. I interviewed early but still no response, do you think I should be worried?? Any idea when they are planning on wrapping up their decisions for the Brown-DMS program? It's just scary that only 15 students will get that sweet answer...

Xmulder - Looking forward to seeing you too man. I would love to hear you thoughts on second look weekend after you get back!

Elizabeth1028 - I waited for just over 4 months! Hang in there, and goodluck!

ironey - I heard there are new graduate student apartments, can you tell me a little bit about those? Like, how hard they are to get, and if they're worth the money. Also, what are some places you recommend?

DMBUGA34 said:
TheRussian, since I've already met you, you have to choose Dartmouth. I'd love to know someone when I get there !!

Congrats Man, this will make your life a lot easier I imagine. It seems more likely everyday that I'll end up there.

DMBUGA34 said:
ironey - I heard there are new graduate student apartments, can you tell me a little bit about those? Like, how hard they are to get, and if they're worth the money. Also, what are some places you recommend?

The new grad student housing is literally across the street from the medical school - the farthest appartments are a 5-minute walk away. From what I've seen visiting people, the apartments are very nice: The bedrooms seem to be spacious, but the living areas are a little small. Again, the location is great, and the places are really nice (as in new, clean, and aesthetically attractive).

I know that several people who live there this year are getting "kicked out" to make room for next year's incoming class. People are a little miffed, but as I understand it, incoming grad students get top priority.

Hope that helps. :)

I know this is a topic that is overdone here on SDN and I appologize but the Dartmouth invite for second look weekend made it quite clear that the dress code is "casual."

My question is what exactly qualifies as "casual" Does this mean khakis and a golfshirt or are shorts/jeans and a t-shirt also "casual"

These American dress code customs have gotten the best of me :p

I am just taking a survey. I am going to the second look weekend. Those that recieved the itenerary know that the whole program takes place at DHMC. My problem is that I missed the tour of the school when I went for the interview because of travel plans. I'm planning on calling the school later this week to see if I could get a tour either before the beginning of the program on friday or after it ends on saturday.

My survey question is:

Is anyone else in the same boat and would also like a touof the school?
If yes then would you prefer friday morning or saturday afternoon?