DAT Biology/Taxonomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khami012

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

So I have been reviewing for the DAT that i take in about 3.5 weeks. Biology tends to still be my lowest score. Does anyone have any good ways for studying biology? I am not great with reading the Ferralis notes and find myself easily distracted and do not retain much. Also is there any good way to study Taxonomy? They seem like stupid questions to miss but a ton of material to be tested over. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I had the same problem because even though Ferralis was a great resource, I coundn't focus on the material. Fro taxonomy, I used the BC Excel sheet. Do yourself a favor and just memorize it. It got me from 0 on taxonomy to getting 90% of the questions right. HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. (btw there are 3 charts you should memorize.)

Hey Everyone!

So I have been reviewing for the DAT that i take in about 3.5 weeks. Biology tends to still be my lowest score. Does anyone have any good ways for studying biology? I am not great with reading the Ferralis notes and find myself easily distracted and do not retain much. Also is there any good way to study Taxonomy? They seem like stupid questions to miss but a ton of material to be tested over. Thank you!
Whatever you do to accomplish it, go through ALL the problems in the DAT Destroyer. I have received many emails with low BIO scores lately and asked if they did all the problems in the Destroyer the reply was NO. The Destroyer is on target for whatever comes your way, you MUST remember there are many versions of the DAT, many!

Just my 2 cents..Nancy

BTW, don't get caught up wasting a lot of hours on timing and timed test, more focus on learning. Ferralis notes are taken from Cliffs and Campbells and my students find them way too dense..just do what works for you..

Nancy

I just printed out a bunch of blank excel charts and copied the Bootcamp chart over and over until it was suck in my head. Also, try and find patterns in the grid that'll help you memorize more efficiently.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same problem because even though Ferralis was a great resource, I coundn't focus on the material. Fro taxonomy, I used the BC Excel sheet. Do yourself a favor and just memorize it. It got me from 0 on taxonomy to getting 90% of the questions right. HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. (btw there are 3 charts you should memorize.)

Do you mean the excel sheet from DAT Bootcamp? Just want to make sure!

I just printed out a bunch of blank excel charts and copied the Bootcamp chart over and over until it was suck in my head. Also, try and find patterns in the grid that'll help you memorize more efficiently.
How did you manage to open that chart because when I tried the other day it told me the page doesn't exist. Where did you find it from?

At first, I tried learning everything from Cliffs/Feralis and taking notes while at it. It didn't work for me bc I can't retain the info unless I keep quizzing myself and using flash cards. I decided to just read over Cliffs/Feralis very quickly to get the general main concepts.

Then I started doing destroyer. I made flash cards for every single concept shown in destroyer. Even if you get the question right, there's so much info in the other answer choices that you can learn from. This helped me retain the info so much more efficiently.

I'm taking my DAT in a week, but my practice scores went from 17-18 to 21-22 after going over destroyer.

Last edited:

Of course you'll go from 0 to 90% on the tests if they created the Excel sheet and the practice tests, lol.
Either way, I recommend you still look at the BC excel sheet and get as much taxonomy down as you can.

Reactions: 1 users

I have done this twice and already see an improvement! Thank you for the advice!

Is there is a way to print this sheet in a bigger font. I tried to print it in my printer, but the font was too small, or it can do it by parts and it would be a mess. I guess I can go to staple and ask them to print it on A3 paper or something.

Are you memorizing every column in the excel sheet? It seems a little too much to me to memorize every column

I have tried to just type it out and recognize patterns and the more ive done it, its sort of just stuck in my brain