DAT Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rwilli477

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen threads on Gen Chem and Organic Chem, but none yet on how best to study for the biology section. I've read through the Kaplan blue book, but I'm just not retaining enough. My practice biology scores have been just plain bad. Any suggestions? Can anybody suggest any other books I could read through to reinforce my understanding of the DAT biology concepts (e.g. ExamKrackers)?

Members don't see this ad.

Go through the blue book again! I used that and read more stuff for the evolution species stuff from my old bio textbook and was fine for the more difficult Canadian DAT. The blue book works!

Just make sure you memorize everything!!!!!!!

^^^ Definitely agree. The blue book has everything you need. Read it well and read it thoroughly and you will be set.

blue book or red book is there a difference? if so what?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the blue book/red book? I have already taken the DAT and have been accepted, but I have a friend that is taking it soon and wanted some study advice. I just wanted to know if there is better resources out there than what I had.

Thanks!!

OU CLASS OF 2008

I took the DAT on Monday and there were quite a few questions
which were not covered in the Kaplan Blue Book. For some
reason, the Bio section that I took had quite a few questions
that specified a certain organism and how it was unique. There
were also several questions on the muscular system at a
cellular level. Anatomy class did wonders for that section!

I'd suggest using the Kaplan as a reference and hitting topics
that you're not sure of in a supplimental book. I'd say the Kaplan
can pretty much get you the 17-18 average scores, but will be
hard pressed to get you above that unless the questions happen
to work out right.

There are some things the Blue Book lacks. Some of those things have been listed here in this forum (like Ecology). What I do think the Blue Book lacks is context. It has a lot of denitions and terms, but it's hard to understand the concept without more background material. So I think it always makes sense to study with a few undergrad texts like zoology and cell bio.

But here's my new question to everyone.

What does the Kaplan Blue Book lack? What topics should a future DAT test taker study to supplement the Kaplan Blue Book?

Here are a few. (Please feel free to add to the list)
Ecology
Survey of Phyla in Animal Kingdom