This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalManiac105

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I finally finished the DAT!!! YAY! This was my second time taking the DAT and I want to share my DAT experience with everyone on sdn. If anyone has a question, don't hesitate to ask. =)

SCORES:
AA: 20
BIO: 20
GC: 21
OC: 23
QR: 18
RC: 19
PAT: 19
TS: 21

MATERIALS USED:

BIOLOGY: Cliffs AP Biology 3rd Edition & DAT BOOTCAMP
I mainly used Cliffs AP Bio. to study for this section. I would read each chapter a day. As I read each chapter a day, I made flashcards to go along with what I read for the day. Make sure to google up biological structures like the heart, loop of henle, etc. to get a better understanding of how these structures function. A big mistake I made when I first took the DAT was using other people's notes. For some reason, I was too afraid to make my own notes. It was like I didn't trust myself. The flashcards I made helped me reinforce what I read for the day. When I finished going through the Cliffs AP Bio. pdf, I decided to reread the flashcards two weeks before the test. I would advise whoever is taking the DAT supplement the physiology section in Cliffs AP with Feralis Biology Notes. I regret not doing that in advance. Cliffs Physiology wasn't up to par. DAT Bootcamp is an amazing program!! DAT Bootcamp questions are asked in a very similar to how the DAT asks questions which I appreciate. This section is very random, you'll never know what you'll get. Just be as prepared as you can be.

GENERAL CHEMISTRY: Chad's Videos & DAT BOOTCAMP

CHAD is the MAN!! Chad is great at explaining conceptual parts of general chemistry. I did use Chad's Videos the first time I took the DAT, but I made a big mistake of not writing down detailed notes. Make sure to write down very DETAILED notes. Another mistake I made the first time was not taking the quizzes that were provided along with each video. Also, I used DAT Bootcamp to test what I learned from Chad's videos. The questions in DAT Bootcamp are very helpful, because I was able to apply my knowledge to see if I actually understood concepts from general chemistry. DAT Bootcamp has explanations that go along with the answers which are super helpful in understanding why it is the answer.

ORGANIC CHEMISTRY: Chad's Videos, DAT BOOTCAMP, DAT Destroyer

You can't go wrong with Chad's Videos. All the reactions you need to know and why the reactions happen are in Chad's Videos. Again, the first time I took the DAT, I didn't write down detailed notes as should have. Understand how the conceptual parts of the reactions, because it can help you predict products for reactions you are unfamiliar with. DAT Bootcamp is a great source to apply knowledge and get exposed to concepts Chad did not go over. The DAT Destroyer is OVERKILL!! I went through the whole book for OCHEM. The questions were difficult, but manageable. I wished I had use that time to improve in other parts of the test instead. If you have time on your hands, by all means go ahead and destroy some OCHEM questions from the DAT Destroyer. Make sure to go over reactions a week before the test to reinforce as much as you could.

QUANTITATIVE REASONING: Chad's Videos, DAT Destroyer, & DAT BOOTCAMP

DISCLAIMER: I suck at math. I blame my high school, because I think I had it too easy in high school. For QR, Chad's Videos is good for laying down the basics and foundation of math, but I would not heavily rely on his videos to do well in QR. I used the DAT Destroyer to expose myself to as many math problems as possible. Exposing myself to as many problems as possible helped me use different techniques to solve the problem. DAT Bootcamp QR was really difficult. I kept scoring around 15-16. I honestly should have spent more time studying for this section or hired a professional tutor in math.

READING COMPREHENSION: DAT BOOTCAMP

I didn't really study for this section that much. I'm not a big fan of reading. I took several DAT Bootcamp RC tests, but I would score around 15. The questions on DAT Bootcamp were really time consuming and had way too many tone questions. I ended up using a combination of S & D and reading the actual passage. Not much has improved or changed for this section.

PAT: CDP & DAT BOOTCAMP

I scored lower on this part this time than the last time. I was so much more focused on the sciences, I didn't give this section as much attention as I would have liked. CDP has useful videos that give insight to how to solve each section. I would use CDP to test my ability to see keyholes, TFE, Angle ranking, etc. The only thing that really makes it difficult for the PAT is the time allotted. 60 minutes for 90 questions is insane. I honestly would have done a lot better on this section if I were given more time. DAT Bootcamp is a bit harder than CDP, but not difficult. I interchangeably used both to study for the PAT.

GPA: 3.78 Science GPA: 3.7
Major: Biology Minor: Chemistry
I've shadowed over 80 hours and volunteered over 50 hrs. Are my DAT Scores competitive enough to score interviews and acceptance? I'm worried about the QR section since I didn't so well on it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hello! I finally finished the DAT!!! YAY! This was my second time taking the DAT and I want to share my DAT experience with everyone on sdn. If anyone has a question, don't hesitate to ask. =)

SCORES:

FIRST TRY SECOND TRY
AA: 18 ----------> AA: 20
BIO: 19 ----------> BIO: 20
GC: 15 ----------> GC: 21
OC: 18 ----------> OC: 23
QR: 18 ----------> QR: 18
RC: 19 ----------> RC: 19
PAT: 20 ----------> PAT: 19
TS: 21

MATERIALS USED:

BIOLOGY: Cliffs AP Biology 3rd Edition & DAT BOOTCAMP
I mainly used Cliffs AP Bio. to study for this section. I would read each chapter a day. As I read each chapter a day, I made flashcards to go along with what I read for the day. Make sure to google up biological structures like the heart, loop of henle, etc. to get a better understanding of how these structures function. A big mistake I made when I first took the DAT was using other people's notes. For some reason, I was too afraid to make my own notes. It was like I didn't trust myself. The flashcards I made helped me reinforce what I read for the day. When I finished going through the Cliffs AP Bio. pdf, I decided to reread the flashcards two weeks before the test. I would advise whoever is taking the DAT supplement the physiology section in Cliffs AP with Feralis Biology Notes. I regret not doing that in advance. Cliffs Physiology wasn't up to par. DAT Bootcamp is an amazing program!! DAT Bootcamp questions are asked in a very similar to how the DAT asks questions which I appreciate. This section is very random, you'll never know what you'll get. Just be as prepared as you can be.

GENERAL CHEMISTRY: Chad's Videos & DAT BOOTCAMP

CHAD is the MAN!! Chad is great at explaining conceptual parts of general chemistry. I did use Chad's Videos the first time I took the DAT, but I made a big mistake of not writing down detailed notes. Make sure to write down very DETAILED notes. Another mistake I made the first time was not taking the quizzes that were provided along with each video. Also, I used DAT Bootcamp to test what I learned from Chad's videos. The questions in DAT Bootcamp are very helpful, because I was able to apply my knowledge to see if I actually understood concepts from general chemistry. DAT Bootcamp has explanations that go along with the answers which are super helpful in understanding why it is the answer.

ORGANIC CHEMISTRY: Chad's Videos, DAT BOOTCAMP, DAT Destroyer

You can't go wrong with Chad's Videos. All the reactions you need to know and why the reactions happen are in Chad's Videos. Again, the first time I took the DAT, I didn't write down detailed notes as should have. Understand how the conceptual parts of the reactions, because it can help you predict products for reactions you are unfamiliar with. DAT Bootcamp is a great source to apply knowledge and get exposed to concepts Chad did not go over. The DAT Destroyer is OVERKILL!! I went through the whole book for OCHEM. The questions were difficult, but manageable. I wished I had use that time to improve in other parts of the test instead. If you have time on your hands, by all means go ahead and destroy some OCHEM questions from the DAT Destroyer. Make sure to go over reactions a week before the test to reinforce as much as you could.

QUANTITATIVE REASONING: Chad's Videos, DAT Destroyer, & DAT BOOTCAMP

DISCLAIMER: I suck at math. I blame my high school, because I think I had it too easy in high school. For QR, Chad's Videos is good for laying down the basics and foundation of math, but I would not heavily rely on his videos to do well in QR. I used the DAT Destroyer to expose myself to as many math problems as possible. Exposing myself to as many problems as possible helped me use different techniques to solve the problem. DAT Bootcamp QR was really difficult. I kept scoring around 15-16. I honestly should have spent more time studying for this section or hired a professional tutor in math.

READING COMPREHENSION: DAT BOOTCAMP

I didn't really study for this section that much. I'm not a big fan of reading. I took several DAT Bootcamp RC tests, but I would score around 15. The questions on DAT Bootcamp were really time consuming and had way too many tone questions. I ended up using a combination of S & D and reading the actual passage. Not much has improved or changed for this section.

PAT: CDP & DAT BOOTCAMP

I scored lower on this part this time than the last time. I was so much more focused on the sciences, I didn't give this section as much attention as I would have liked. CDP has useful videos that give insight to how to solve each section. I would use CDP to test my ability to see keyholes, TFE, Angle ranking, etc. The only thing that really makes it difficult for the PAT is the time allotted. 60 minutes for 90 questions is insane. I honestly would have done a lot better on this section if I were given more time. DAT Bootcamp is a bit harder than CDP, but not difficult. I interchangeably used both to study for the PAT.

GPA: 3.78 Science GPA: 3.7
Major: Biology Minor: Chemistry
I've shadowed over 80 hours and volunteered over 50 hrs. Are my DAT Scores competitive enough to score interviews and acceptance? I'm worried about the QR section since I didn't so well on it. View attachment 204374
Did you use anything different material the second time?

Your lowest score is 18, but your academic avg is 20. I think you'll be fine.

Look at the avg DAT scores for schools: http://schools.studentdoctor.net/schools/3/dental-school-rankings/0
20 is above many. So, your score is decent.

Your GPA is fantastic.

Get killer LORs and put time/care into your app. Also, apply broadly. Never hurts to over-apply, that's better than repeating this process again.

Members don't see this ad :)
@learn4gain the different materials the second time were DAT Bootcamp & Cliffs AP
@Minions2015 Thank you! Yeah definitely! DAT Bootcamp: Bio: 24 GC: 23 OC: 21 RC: 15 QR: 15 PAT: 20
@Kelcy Hannaganiko Thank you for the encouragement! I really need it after the stressful week I had. I'll definitely make sure to put the time and care into the application. Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it.

Awesome scores on the science section! Everyone says QR isn't that important; sadly it is probably going to be my best section again on my retake.

@LuckBloodandSweat Thank you!! Yeah I've been coming across people saying QR is not weighed as high as the other sections and I hope that's true in my case. Good Luck on your retake!! All you need to do is improve in the other sections, mainly sciences and you should be set.

@LuckBloodandSweat Thank you!! Yeah I've been coming across people saying QR is not weighed as high as the other sections and I hope that's true in my case. Good Luck on your retake!! All you need to do is improve in the other sections, mainly sciences and you should be set.
Ah you saw my scores? Yeah I'm quite upset with my science scores especially that really low bio lol!