DAT change in 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joelgrow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am really frustrated with the DAT change(Bio, math), and honestly do not know what to do.

Bio

I was going to order cliff's AP bio, but if it is going to change a lot, would I still need that book to study?

Math

Seemed like all the trig and geo questions are going to be replaced with stats and other problems.

I already bought freaking math destroyer(as far as I remember, that book ain't cheap), and now it looks like

I wouldn't even need that book much.

What do I need to do to prepare for Bio and math.

Members don't see this ad.

The DAT changes in 2014 are likely to be limited. They need to develop and pre-test the new questions. The new QR questions questions won't be included in your grade until 2016.

The biology sections I'm guessing aren't going to be as significant. It sounds like they're changing it to be more in line with what you already learned. They're focusing more on conceptual questions and how things work together rather than memorizing 3000 facts, which is something they were already moving toward with the biology section. I'd still prepare for it exactly the same way. While you study, try to piece the different facts together of how the entire system works, rather than each individual piece. Think about how ribosomes, the nucleus, and genetic material all work together, for example.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The DAT changes in 2014 are likely to be limited. They need to develop and pre-test the new questions. The new QR questions questions won't be included in your grade until 2016.

The biology sections I'm guessing aren't going to be as significant. It sounds like they're changing it to be more in line with what you already learned. They're focusing more on conceptual questions and how things work together rather than memorizing 3000 facts, which is something they were already moving toward with the biology section. I'd still prepare for it exactly the same way. While you study, try to piece the different facts together of how the entire system works, rather than each individual piece. Think about how ribosomes, the nucleus, and genetic material all work together, for example.
Awesome! Thanks for the info

How will they bring the bio questions in what manner. Is it like the mcat
So when they said they're changing the biology question to reflect the new approach in biology survey courses, I realized they were partly talking about the AP biology exam that changed very recently, which in essence changes biology survey courses. There is a great example I found of how they're changing the AP biology test which I think will coincide with what the DAT will do.

Example: Old Question

An animal that contains both male and female reproductive organs is

a. Known as sexually dimorphic
b. An example of parthenogenesis
c. Found only in primitive animals
d. Hermaphroditic
e. An example of asexual reproduction
Answer is D.

Example: New Question

Hermaphrodites are animals that serve as both male and female by producing both sperm and eggs. They are often animals that are fixed to a surface (sessile) and are less often motile (free-moving) animals. Which of the following statements is the best explanation for this phenomenon?

a. As in all examples of asexual reproduction, large numbers of offspring can be produced.
b. This is a novel adaptation that evolved to meet the challenge of finding a mate without having the ability to move.
c. Both the male and female can produce offspring simultaneously.
d. Hermaphroditism is a degenerate form of sexual reproduction and is found in primitive animals such as parasites.
Answer is B.

So you can see the first question relies on your memorization of the definition of a hermaphrodite, however the new question actually gives you the definition and asks you to apply it. The new test will likely be more about thinking than memorization, which is something students have already been commenting on, that's all.

Does the dat bring similar questions like the destroyer? You brought like 2 destroyer questions. Is the general chem and org chem on the real dat like the destroyer or easier?

The DAT Destroyer is harder than the real DAT, especially in the organic chemistry section. I still recommend the general chemistry and organic chemistry sections because if you learn those then you'll be set for the DAT. The biology section is also good at going over lots of different things, but if you're running out of time you can skip it. Still, it's all good practice.

Reactions: 1 user
The DAT Destroyer is harder than the real DAT, especially in the organic chemistry section. I still recommend the general chemistry and organic chemistry sections because if you learn those then you'll be set for the DAT. The biology section is also good at going over lots of different things, but if you're running out of time you can skip it. Still, it's all good practice.

Did you get my PM?

Hi, Im planning to take the DAT exam in 2015. The DAT Destroyer and Math Destroyer are two books I am interested in buying in order to prepare for the DAT. However, with the rumored changes to the Quantitative Reasoning Section (Math), I am unsure/ frustrated reagarding the changes. Consider I would like to start studying now (2014) and considering these rumored changes, what should I do?

Hi, Im planning to take the DAT exam in 2015. The DAT Destroyer and Math Destroyer are two books I am interested in buying in order to prepare for the DAT. However, with the rumored changes to the Quantitative Reasoning Section (Math), I am unsure/ frustrated reagarding the changes. Consider I would like to start studying now (2014) and considering these rumored changes, what should I do?

Study with the current materials and wait until further updates. It is really early (probably earlier than you need to start studying) and there is not much you can do at this point.

They aren't rumored, they will be coming in 2015, here is the latest update: http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Education and Careers/Files/Tips on Preparing for DAT ADEA 2014.ashx

Changes to Test Content
Critical Thinking Skills
In order to enhance testing of critical thinking skills, the Quantitative
Reasoning Test (QRT) specifications have been revised to eliminate the
sections for numerical calculations, conversions, geometry, and
trigonometry. Items will be added in the following areas: data analysis,
interpretation, and sufficiency; quantitative comparison; and probability
and statistics. These changes will be implemented no sooner than
Biology
Biology survey courses have shifted to a systems approach (i.e., focusing
on complex interactions within biological systems). Biology test
specifications are being adjusted accordingly in 2015.

Reactions: 1 user
Study with the current materials and wait until further updates. It is really early (probably earlier than you need to start studying) and there is not much you can do at this point.

They aren't rumored, they will be coming in 2015, here is the latest update: http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Education and Careers/Files/Tips on Preparing for DAT ADEA 2014.ashx

Changes to Test Content
Critical Thinking Skills
In order to enhance testing of critical thinking skills, the Quantitative
Reasoning Test (QRT) specifications have been revised to eliminate the
sections for numerical calculations, conversions, geometry, and
trigonometry. Items will be added in the following areas: data analysis,
interpretation, and sufficiency; quantitative comparison; and probability
and statistics. These changes will be implemented no sooner than
Biology
Biology survey courses have shifted to a systems approach (i.e., focusing
on complex interactions within biological systems). Biology test
specifications are being adjusted accordingly in 2015.

however these changes will not be included in your score untill 2016. am i right?

are you sure about not included in the score? i read this too in 2013 thirteen forum but in 2014 one they just say it will be implemented but they didnt mention that it wont be scored. how can i conform cause i am planing to taking it in 2015.

however these changes will not be included in your score untill 2016. am i right?

When the test officially changes, I imagine it will count. I believe they are currently testing experimental questions on the DAT right now (but don't quote me on that). It is too early to start studying anyway and they will release more info prior to implementation of the changes.

When the test officially changes, I imagine it will count. I believe they are currently testing experimental questions on the DAT right now (but don't quote me on that). It is too early to start studying anyway and they will release more info prior to implementation of the changes.

2014 - 2015
• Questions pilot tested;
performance and quality
evaluated.

• Will NOT contribute to scores.

• WILL contribute to scores
thats what they mentioned in their 2013 form. do you know where can i ask. do they have an e mail?

2014 - 2015
• Questions pilot tested;
performance and quality
evaluated.

• Will NOT contribute to scores.

• WILL contribute to scores
thats what they mentioned in their 2013 form. do you know where can i ask. do they have an e mail?

[email protected]

so i called the ADA today and they told me that there is no change untill 2016 and they are taking the update down cause it was misleading.