DAT Complete: May 23, Full Breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mister Incisor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i'm a long-time reader and I just completed my American DAT test today. Figured I'd give a full breakdown and the study methods I used as a way of giving back for all the help I've received through browsing the forums.

A little information first off, I'm a Canadian student with a 3.8 GPA. I completed my Canadian DAT back in November 2007 during second year, and had studied extensively for it (much of that summer). As such, I decided to only started studying after I finished my exams at the end of April (a month of prep time). I studied anywhere from 1-3 hours a day, depending on my work schedule. It is possible to prepare for it in a solid month, as long as you are efficient and have a solid background of your basics. However, another month may be beneficial if you really need to rack up some sick scores.

My method of studying for each science was:
(1) go through my entire university textbook for that subject as well as my notes in about 3-5 days
(2) go through all the questions in destroyer in about 2-3 days

For quantitative, I just practiced destroyer. For PAT, I just refreshed my skills using top score (I found that it was naturally my best portion on the Canadian DAT, so I didn't worry about it). For Reading Comp, I didn't do anything (I typically read a lot).

I then completed the three Top Score full lengthers during three days the week before my test date. For what it's worth, I did much better on the real thing than what I scored on TS.

Perceptual Ability 22

- I found it to be pretty straight forward and comparable to what I saw on Top Score, with the exceptions of angles (some of them were crazy close). The keyholes and TFE were all straight-forward. For hole-punching I just counted layers and if there were a couple with equal number of holes I deduced it in my mind. Cube counting and folding were a breeze as well.

Quantitative Reasoning 18
- I felt that I did really well when i went through it. Time was a slight issue for me, I had about 2 questions left with about a minute to go. Wild-guessed on one of the trig questions. Destroyer is a very good prep for this section.

Reading Comprehension 23
- Again, I like reading lol. I started by making a quick list of keywords/topics for each paragraph on my whiteboard. Then i just went at the questions. I found that I was able to soak up the information in the passages really quickly, and it seemed to help. If you get a tough passage, try to keep calm and start going after the questions. Just by constantly searching and going over it, you'll make sense of the article, and even be able to hammer out the indirect questions.

Biology 19
- I'm a bio major. I've taken many upper-class bios (gen, med micro, micro, anatomy, physio, eco, evo, mole bio, immuno), and found them to be helpful, especially on some of the more obscure questions. I skimmed my Campbell 7th ed text, and found it to make for a decent knowledge base. Destroyer questions also are a great way to see if you really know the info or not.

General Chemistry 17
- Not sure really what happened here. Must've just slipped up on a couple questions without realizing, but that's life lol. I went over my Chang textbook, and some old notes. Found there to be very few calculations, most answers were in formula-form.

Organic Chemistry 21
- I was probably least prepared for this section, yet somehow it was my best science (go figure). I had recently taken Orgo II, but Orgo I was about a year ago, and I found going over some of the old reactions tedious and mind-numbing. However, I found it to be easier than what I saw on Top Score. I used mostly old notes and a little of the textbook (McMurray).

Total Science 19
Academic Average 20

Overall, I'm happy with my scores. With these scores, a 3.8 GPA, being a Canadian student, good # of extra-cirriculars, much shadowing of multiple specialties, and zero research, do you think I'll be able to get some bites?

One last thing, the markers suck hard. It's a good idea to stand them on edge in order for the ink to flow better.

Take care everyone and good luck. Your input is appreciated, and I'll be glad to answer any questions that you have.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: