DAT Concern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AAGDDS

Reaction score
Hey guys !I just took the DAT and unfortunately I got a 17AA and 18 on the PAT section. I was averaging 2 points higher overall on BC (I know this is unusual most usually score better on the actual). I really wanted to apply this cycle and already submit my application to one school but I’m afraid it may be a waste to even apply this late with a 17 DAT. I have a solid 3.7GPA and a lot of extracurriculars, shadowing, and research I also studied all summer for this exam and really don’t want to take it again. Plz let me know what you guys think!

Members don't see this ad.

I would apply and schedule a retake as much as that sucks. Email the schools that you will be retaking the DAT. There probably is a chance that you could get accepted with those scores if you apply very broadly, but you should try to increase your chances with a better score! Try to identify what areas you struggled in and see if there's any immediate changes you can do to your studying to improve.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would apply and schedule a retake as much as that sucks. Email the schools that you will be retaking the DAT. There probably is a chance that you could get accepted with those scores if you apply very broadly, but you should try to increase your chances with a better score! Try to identify what areas you struggled in and see if there's any immediate changes you can do to your studying to improve.
Wouldn’t that be risky since I would have to improve my score substantially the second time. I feel like if I retake I have to do much better.

Wouldn’t that be risky since I would have to improve my score substantially the second time. I feel like if I retake I have to do much better.
Or should I wait till I get interviews or a decision to retake then if I don’t get in o would have to retake?

Were all of your scores ~17? Or did you perform poorly in one section? If you've already applied to one school, I'm guessing that your app is already verified by now. If you have a 3.7 GPA and other areas of your app are strong, I'd apply to schools that have lower DAT averages where you'll still be competitive. A 17 is definitely below the 20-21 average for schools and will be an uphill battle when applying, but accepted students have scores higher and lower than 20 to produce the 20-21 average.

If you're going to apply, do so ASAP because you're getting pretty late into the cycle. If you decide to retake the DAT, the earliest you could do is November, which at that point schools are mainly reviewing apps, if they still are, for post-dec interviews and a few spots. So retaking the DAT would ultimately be for the next application cycle and I'd recommend retaking it when convenient for you and when you feel confident you can score well since it will likely not affect your results this cycle if you need to re-apply.

Usually people after the DAT are trying to decide whether or not to apply the a reason to not apply is that next cycle you'd be marked as a "re-applicant", but since you've already submitted one app, you have to mark yourself as a re-applicant next cycle regardless.

My recommendation is to continue to apply to dental schools since it's $108/school (since you've already submitted one). Worst case, you get zero interview invites, which I highly doubt will happen given your GPA and "a lot of extracurriculars, shadowing, and research", and you waste ~$1000. On the other hand, you may get some interview invites where you'll get a chance to prove yourself as a unique candidate as someone worth more than his/her DAT score. If you get lucky enough to get an acceptance, fantastic. Dental schools on the low-end raise tuition 3%/year so if you're lucky to start next year as opposed to re-applying, you've already recouped the $1000 risked.

A 17 AA is low and don't let my recommendation to continue apply this cycle mean that I think a 17 is good. It's definitely an uphill battle, but I think you still have a chance IF you submit ASAP.

Were all of your scores ~17? Or did you perform poorly in one section? If you've already applied to one school, I'm guessing that your app is already verified by now. If you have a 3.7 GPA and other areas of your app are strong, I'd apply to schools that have lower DAT averages where you'll still be competitive. A 17 is definitely below the 20-21 average for schools and will be an uphill battle when applying, but accepted students have scores higher and lower than 20 to produce the 20-21 average.

If you're going to apply, do so ASAP because you're getting pretty late into the cycle. If you decide to retake the DAT, the earliest you could do is November, which at that point schools are mainly reviewing apps, if they still are, for post-dec interviews and a few spots. So retaking the DAT would ultimately be for the next application cycle and I'd recommend retaking it when convenient for you and when you feel confident you can score well since it will likely not affect your results this cycle if you need to re-apply.

Usually people after the DAT are trying to decide whether or not to apply the a reason to not apply is that next cycle you'd be marked as a "re-applicant", but since you've already submitted one app, you have to mark yourself as a re-applicant next cycle regardless.

My recommendation is to continue to apply to dental schools since it's $108/school (since you've already submitted one). Worst case, you get zero interview invites, which I highly doubt will happen given your GPA and "a lot of extracurriculars, shadowing, and research", and you waste ~$1000. On the other hand, you may get some interview invites where you'll get a chance to prove yourself as a unique candidate as someone worth more than his/her DAT score. If you get lucky enough to get an acceptance, fantastic. Dental schools on the low-end raise tuition 3%/year so if you're lucky to start next year as opposed to re-applying, you've already recouped the $1000 risked.

A 17 AA is low and don't let my recommendation to continue apply this cycle mean that I think a 17 is good. It's definitely an uphill battle, but I think you still have a chance IF you submit ASAP.
Thank you so much for your feedback I will make sure to do that.

Hey guys !I just took the DAT and unfortunately I got a 17AA and 18 on the PAT section. I was averaging 2 points higher overall on BC (I know this is unusual most usually score better on the actual). I really wanted to apply this cycle and already submit my application to one school but I’m afraid it may be a waste to even apply this late with a 17 DAT. I have a solid 3.7GPA and a lot of extracurriculars, shadowing, and research I also studied all summer for this exam and really don’t want to take it again. Plz let me know what you guys think!

TAKE IT AGAIN!!!!

If you take it again and do well, your chances will be much higher.

With your GPA, you should get a few interviews at least (if not acceptances). However, retaking the DAT will ensure that you will get more interviews and acceptances.

You need to hit a 19 or 20 to show progress. Your scores don't have to be significantly higher.

A good plan should be:

August - finish up the application and study for the DAT
September - Study for the DAT
October - retake the DAT

(FYI, I retook my DAT in August and still got accepted to some top schools.)

Oh ok thanks. I'm using bootcamp as well and taking the test soon. I'll be supplementing it with destroyer now since you said that... Honestly a lot of these threads make it seem like all you need is bootcamp so I'm kind of worried now. Anything you would've studied differently, or did you feel prepared to go in and take the test?

Also best of luck to you this cycle! I'm actually in the same boat as you, I applied early to one school. Your GPA is way higher than mine so that could help make up for it!
Take practice exams to help see where you are at and review the questions you got wrong thoroughly. I wish I followed Aris DAT schedule because the way I studied was all over the place and didn' t retain much info. By that I mean I wasted a lot of time studying then forgetting if that makes any sense. Again I feel like I am a rare case since usually most people tend to do better on the actual DAT than DAT bootcamp exams I might have got unlucky with my version. Definitely emphasize practice tests again hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Oh ok thanks. I'm using bootcamp as well and taking the test soon. I'll be supplementing it with destroyer now since you said that... Honestly a lot of these threads make it seem like all you need is bootcamp so I'm kind of worried now. Anything you would've studied differently, or did you feel prepared to go in and take the test?

Also best of luck to you this cycle! I'm actually in the same boat as you, I applied early to one school. Your GPA is way higher than mine so that could help make up for it!

Math Destroyer is great, but I feel like Destroyer for the rest was not very representative of the real DAT. Bootcamp was great and the best resource for me. I wouldn't draw conclusions on a study resource from one person's experience. Just my opinion! Best of luck

TAKE IT AGAIN!!!!

If you take it again and do well, your chances will be much higher.

With your GPA, you should get a few interviews at least (if not acceptances). However, retaking the DAT will ensure that you will get more interviews and acceptances.

You need to hit a 19 or 20 to show progress. Your scores don't have to be significantly higher.

A good plan should be:

August - finish up the application and study for the DAT
September - Study for the DAT
October - retake the DAT

(FYI, I retook my DAT in August and still got accepted to some top schools.)
Does your plan take in to account the 90 window between DAT tests? If OP just took the test, the earliest he/she could take it is 10/30. Considering a week to verify scores, it won't be 'til November that the scores are verified.

Does your plan take in to account the 90 window between DAT tests? If OP just took the test, the earliest he/she could take it is 10/30. Considering a week to verify scores, it won't be 'til November that the scores are verified.
Yes plus I would like to give myself a bit of a break till the Fall semester starts. I am graduating a semester early so I can retake the dat in the spring. I think that would be the ideal plan for me.

Yes plus I would like to give myself a bit of a break till the Fall semester starts. I am graduating a semester early so I can retake the dat in the spring. I think that would be the ideal plan for me.
Retaking it in the spring sounds like a great plan especially if you'll be able to dedicate a substantial amount of time studying to make sure your scores increase as opposed to balancing school and DAT studying.

Retaking it in the spring sounds like a great plan especially if you'll be able to dedicate a substantial amount of time studying to make sure your scores increase as opposed to balancing school and DAT studying.
It would be ideal if I get in somewhere with my scores before the next cycle but like you said I will study and retake the DAT regardless in case I don’t get in since my chances are slim