DAT Destroyer (2018 edition) - General Chemistry #226

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elvisthepelvis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I know that in orgo world ethers are nonpolar solvents and in an extraction the ether is the organic layer and polar water is the aqueous bottom layer (therefore water and ether don't mix). So I always assumed that ethers are insoluble in water.

In the general chemistry section of the DAT destroyer (2018 edition), #226 asks which would be soluble. Option A is ether & water. it is saying that ether and water are miscible and this along with alcohol and water would be soluble. Can somebody please explain why ether is nonpolar in orgo world but polar in gen chem world??

I also understand why ether would be polar..since it has two c-o bond where oxygen is electronegative and carbon is not - so its a polar covalent bond.

Members don't see this ad.

Gen Chem
Ether is polar because of the geometry shape.
Ether is miscible in H20, up to 3 carbons. the o atom can h bond with the h2o molecule

Orgo
Ether is nonpolar because of the low dielectric constant

Polar and non polar is relative term, for the DAT read the question.

Hi, so I know that in orgo world ethers are nonpolar solvents and in an extraction the ether is the organic layer and polar water is the aqueous bottom layer (therefore water and ether don't mix). So I always assumed that ethers are insoluble in water.

In the general chemistry section of the DAT destroyer (2018 edition), #226 asks which would be soluble. Option A is ether & water. it is saying that ether and water are miscible and this along with alcohol and water would be soluble. Can somebody please explain why ether is nonpolar in orgo world but polar in gen chem world??

I also understand why ether would be polar..since it has two c-o bond where oxygen is electronegative and carbon is not - so its a polar covalent bond.
Ah !!! The beauty of the ether. I think you can see its value ! An ether such as dimethyl or diethyl ether or THF can be used with POLAR or nonPolar compounds. That is why they are excellent solvents. Yes, they are polar......but not nearly as polar as water. We can use this value in extractions.......as well as dissolving them in water if needed. Come join my STUDY Group on Facebook, and we can discuss this in greater detail. I have been studying solvents for over 35 years,,,and would love to discuss this further with you.

Dr. Romano

Reactions: 1 user
Ah !!! The beauty of the ether. I think you can see its value ! An ether such as dimethyl or diethyl ether or THF can be used with POLAR or nonPolar compounds. That is why they are excellent solvents. Yes, they are polar......but not nearly as polar as water. We can use this value in extractions.......as well as dissolving them in water if needed. Come join my STUDY Group on Facebook, and we can discuss this in greater detail. I have been studying solvents for over 35 years,,,and would love to discuss this further with you.

Dr. Romano
thank you! I understand now, so ethers are polar but not super polar like water so they can be used in extraction. Got it! Also just joined the group woohoo!