DAT DESTROYER Gen. Chem. #23

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Denizen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
One molecule of a compound has a mass of 2.0 * 10^-22 grams. What is its molecular mass?

Molecular mass? According to Google, that's the mass of a molecule, so I'm confused here. Shouldn't the answer be 2.0 * 10^-22 grams?

The correct answer is (2.0 * 10^-22)(6.02 * 10^23) grams/mole. Is this a typo or something? Did he mean molar mass in the original question?

Members don't see this ad.

One molecule of a compound has a mass of 2.0 * 10^-22 grams. What is its molecular mass?

Molecular mass? According to Google, that's the mass of a molecule, so I'm confused here. Shouldn't the answer be 2.0 * 10^-22 grams?

The correct answer is (2.0 * 10^-22)(6.02 * 10^23) grams/mole. Is this a typo or something? Did he mean molar mass in the original question?
NO......In Chemistry parlance, molecular mass, molecular weight, molar mass is all expressed in grams/mole. For more clarity consult a standard text such a Zumdahl or Raymond Chang.

Dr. Romano

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks again for clearing that up. I figured it had to do with chemistry jargon, but I just wanted to make sure I covered all my bases.

Reactions: 1 user