DAT in 16 days. Need advice (Kaplan Scores in)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnDoeDDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay guys I need some advice on how to study and if I should post-pone etc.. I know you guys are the best and I take your advice seriously. Here are my scores from Kaplan so far.

AA/TS/BIO/CHEM/ORGO/RC/QR/PAT
Diag 1: 14/14/12/15/17/15/13/13
Mid Term: 15.2/16.6/16/17/17/16/13/15
Pactice 1: 17.53/16.6/16/17/17/19/17/18
Final: 16.27/16.8/18/17/15/16/16/17

Okay so the exam is on the 28th of August. I am taking my first topscore this sunday and plan to go through 3 exams and 3 Achiever. Im worried about my PAT because that score is with me getting only one wrong on the angles, and I run out of time when I get to the pattern folding. I have just enough to pick C for all of them. I understand angles are much more difficult on the real thing so Im a bit worried. A lso QR etc... I apln to do lots of ORGO tomorrow (I didnt study orgo and managed 17s on the the previous exams what got me was the isomers..). So guys any advice? Can I still get 20s byt he 28th? How should I go about managing my time and studying? And what do you think of these scores thus far? Thanks everyone for your help and opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

honestly...i think you should really focus on the PAT. the kaplan pat is super easy compared to the real thing. many people score in the 20s on the kaplan pat and end up only scoring 18/19s on the real dat pat. so, if you're scoring 14/15 on your kaplan pat now...well, you get my point.
PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT specially with this section.
you can do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
man your'll do fine, i took kaplan and thought i was going to do so bad, my max on any topic was a 18 i hit on some parts 23, 24 and got a overall of 21 and 22 on sciences so you'll do fine.

steven87 said:
man your'll do fine, i took kaplan and thought i was going to do so bad, my max on any topic was a 18 i hit on some parts 23, 24 and got a overall of 21 and 22 on sciences so you'll do fine.

Kaplan's chem, ochem, and math is similar to the real thing. Topscore's PAT is similar to the actual. You should consider getting Topscore or DAT Acheiver if you haven't already. Kaplan's PAT would be considered cake to the real thing. For bio, u definately need to study more than the kaplan book. Kaplan's bio is way too broad. Hope that helps!

Im taking the exam Aug 23rd, and so far in studying I have turned the kaplan blue book basically into flashcards and gone through 2 Achiever Tests and plan to do the last one and Topscore. I think the best practice is these tests because they really clearly show you where your weaknesses are. To get the most out of each one you really have to take the time to look back at everything and look up your weak areas. After every test I find out topics im weak on, put those on flascards, and then I nail them on the next test and find new ones. Hopefully by test day I will cover everything or as close as I can to it. Good Luck!

thanks guys. Taking the first topscore in a few. Exam is in exactly 2 weeks!

Do you guys htink I should do topscore first than achiever or the other way around?

I disagree with some of the above posters Kaplan is not a good judge of how prepared you are. I would take Topscore tests. If your Topscore scores are similar to your Kaplan scores. I would reschedule. Kaplan PAT is especially easy.

okay just did the science and pat on topscore 1.

TS 17
BIO 19
CHEM 17
ORGO 14!
PAT 17!

Okay what do you guys think? Im going to tudy orgo now ASAP as I didnt study it yet and couldnt remember a bunch of stuff. Bio went up nicely chem is the same. What do you think about PAT. Same as Kaplan score but I thought the Topscore was harder. Again I only got to question 3 on the folding so picked C for everything else.

JohnDoeDDS said:

TS 17
BIO 19
CHEM 17
ORGO 14!
PAT 17!

Okay what do you guys think? Im going to tudy orgo now ASAP as I didnt study it yet and couldnt remember a bunch of stuff. Bio went up nicely chem is the same. What do you think about PAT. Same as Kaplan score but I thought the Topscore was harder. Again I only got to question 3 on the folding so picked C for everything else.
When are u taking the DAT?

i am pretty sure you are gonna get 19+ TS on actual
JohnDoeDDS said:

TS 17
BIO 19
CHEM 17
ORGO 14!
PAT 17!

Members don't see this ad :)
Notoriousjae said:
Thanks but whats so funny?
I went over the stuff now and I just made some stupid careless orgo mistakes. We'll see how I do on the next one :)

JohnDoeDDS said:
Thanks but whats so funny?
I went over the stuff now and I just made some stupid careless orgo mistakes. We'll see how I do on the next one :)

i just found it funny how `11 goes around predicting everyones scores and where people will get in and wont get in. aside from that good luck

get your orgo to atleast a 17-18 on ts and i think you could pull of 19 or 20 for total science on the real deal

JohnDoeDDS said:

I did the Achiever first so I could not be depressed right before taking it. I thought that if I could go through the harder one and learn all that info, then take topscore I would get a more realistic score for my actual DAT since everyone so far is saying that Topscore is the best prediction. Achiever was rough though, my sciences ranged from 14-16, but RC and QR were about 20. Ill let you know how topscore goes for me in the next couple days!

shainapunim said:
JohnDoeDDS said:

I did the Achiever first so I could not be depressed right before taking it. I thought that if I could go through the harder one and learn all that info, then take topscore I would get a more realistic score for my actual DAT since everyone so far is saying that Topscore is the best prediction. Achiever was rough though, my sciences ranged from 14-16, but RC and QR were about 20. Ill let you know how topscore goes for me in the next couple days!
thanks good luck buddy!

TopScore #1:

PAT-20
Orgo-19
Chem-19
Bio-17
RC-20
QR-20

I am so happy these were higher than the Achiever! Now that I am getting close to the test date, its nice to know I wont get a TS of 16 like I was on Achiever! I still recommend doing Achiever first so you dont get depressed before the test and so the topscore looks easy. Good Luck! I will review this test Friday and take TopScore #2 Saturday and let you know how that goes

JohnDoe, so how're TopScore 2 and 3 coming along?

for T1, adding 2 to the science sections is a fair prediction. unfortunately, subtracting 2 seems to be the general guideline for pat. That said, minimize errors in orgo (focus!!!) and work on pat. once you get those, reinforce rc and qr.

jkh1886 said:
JohnDoe, so how're TopScore 2 and 3 coming along?

for T1, adding 2 to the science sections is a fair prediction. unfortunately, subtracting 2 seems to be the general guideline for pat. That said, minimize errors in orgo (focus!!!) and work on pat. once you get those, reinforce rc and qr.

Wondering how you would know this since you didn't study? :idea:

thanks guys. I didnt take the whole TS2 exam. I only took the science so far.

I got:
BIO: 17
Chem 18
Orgo: 18

Def. some improvement but bio went down :( There where some strange questions in bio that I didnt remember. Im going ot finish taking the rest of it tomorrow.

No worries JohnDoe. People are posting questions and answers on here. Just stay tuned and you're gonna kill this test.

Seems to be the trick. Know the questions. Do well. Can't go wrong

Uhm ok... I need to have a high score without any knowledge of those questions. Now any1 know a good strategy for pattern folding? I seem to be getting 4 out of 15 on that section and by the time I start it I usually have 3-4 minutes for the section.

by the way jkh just saw your predetns profile. PRetty amazing stuff. What made you change your mind once you started law school?

JohnDoeDDS said:
Uhm ok... I need to have a high score without any knowledge of those questions. Now any1 know a good strategy for pattern folding? I seem to be getting 4 out of 15 on that section and by the time I start it I usually have 3-4 minutes for the section.

by the way jkh just saw your predetns profile. PRetty amazing stuff. What made you change your mind once you started law school?

nutshell: health professionals better society. they help people. lawyers lie and cheat. once I entered duke law, they taught me exactly how to lie and cheat. wasn't satisfied with being a blood sucking vampire.

wow that sucks. I wonder what they taught you.

ITs funny I also actually wanted to be a lawyer at first but I never went as far as going to law school though. I got a job at a law firm before taking the LSAT and realized that it is just too boring, too many hours. Duke is a top notch law school though but I think you did the right thing.

While I was shadowing a dentist we had a patient come in who was a lawyer and he hated it and said I made the right decision... Where are you applying to D-School?

Listen: it is better to postpone for a month than get a 17. All dental schools say that they prefer people to take DATs once. If you have to taqke it three times, then as they put it "perhaps you should consider other fields" (Detroit Mercy). Average is considered to be 17. Howard will take you with that (if your GPA is OK). The question is, do you want to go to Howard?

JohnDoeDDS said:
Okay guys I need some advice on how to study and if I should post-pone etc.. I know you guys are the best and I take your advice seriously. Here are my scores from Kaplan so far.

AA/TS/BIO/CHEM/ORGO/RC/QR/PAT
Diag 1: 14/14/12/15/17/15/13/13
Mid Term: 15.2/16.6/16/17/17/16/13/15
Pactice 1: 17.53/16.6/16/17/17/19/17/18
Final: 16.27/16.8/18/17/15/16/16/17

Okay so the exam is on the 28th of August. I am taking my first topscore this sunday and plan to go through 3 exams and 3 Achiever. Im worried about my PAT because that score is with me getting only one wrong on the angles, and I run out of time when I get to the pattern folding. I have just enough to pick C for all of them. I understand angles are much more difficult on the real thing so Im a bit worried. A lso QR etc... I apln to do lots of ORGO tomorrow (I didnt study orgo and managed 17s on the the previous exams what got me was the isomers..). So guys any advice? Can I still get 20s byt he 28th? How should I go about managing my time and studying? And what do you think of these scores thus far? Thanks everyone for your help and opinions.

definately not. But I am thinking/hoping I would get higher on the real thing. I mean I am using these tests as a tool to learn. So the mroe questions I get wrong the more I learn. I tend to learn and remember stuff that I Get wrong more so than right. Plus I still have about 10 days to study. Well see how I do on achiever.

Also when I go over the exms I usually get stupid things wrong, and maybe 2-3 questions I didnt actually know how to do. But well see what happens all in the next few days. Im still not sure if I want to post-pone into septemeber because that means that schools will get my scores october which is kinda late so I would really have to do much better.

My overall is 3.53 and science 3.6, BCP 3.86. So I might get away with 18-19 on the real thing. Of course I am going for 20s but will be hapyh with an 18 PAT.